Appauling: Amazon snail dispatch times.

Found 31st Jul 2014
It's getting a little bit silly now.

You order something with Amazon (which is available and in stock) but won't be dispatched for around a week, simply because "free delivery" was selected.

It used to be the case where if you ordered something before 3pm, it would be processed and dispatched within the same day, no matter which delivery service you select.

But now, it seems the consumer is basically being punished for choosing the cheapest option and it seems Amazon are trying their hardest and best at annoying people into paying for delivery or signing up for Prime in order for them to be dispatched in a reasonable time.

/rant.

tldr: Amazon are being extremely audacious and greedy by holding items for a week before dispatching them if you choose free delivery.

53 Comments

People who pay for a delivery service should be prioritised over people that choose the free option. It's a choice you make.

Nobody is forced to use Amazon.

Amazon apologists starting to come out in force!

Its just a ploy to make you join their ridiculous 'Prime' service.

They have the capacity to despatch within a day, especially at this time of year anyway.

matt3454

Amazon apologists starting to come out in force!Its just a ploy to make … Amazon apologists starting to come out in force!Its just a ploy to make you join their ridiculous 'Prime' service. They have the capacity to despatch within a day, especially at this time of year anyway.

Not at all, I use Amazon, I have never paid for delivery, but I am quite happy to wait a few days for delivery.

If I wasn't, I would shop elsewhere.

Original Poster

BeerDrinker

People who pay for a delivery service should be prioritised over people … People who pay for a delivery service should be prioritised over people that choose the free option. It's a choice you make.

Who said anything about delivery? I was talking of dispatch times. Big difference.

Inactive

Nobody is forced to be ignorant.

matt3454

Amazon apologists starting to come out in force!Its just a ploy to make … Amazon apologists starting to come out in force!Its just a ploy to make you join their ridiculous 'Prime' service. They have the capacity to despatch within a day, especially at this time of year anyway.

+1

Original Poster

Inactive

Not at all, I use Amazon, I have never paid for delivery, but I am quite … Not at all, I use Amazon, I have never paid for delivery, but I am quite happy to wait a few days for delivery.If I wasn't, I would shop elsewhere.

Order placed 31st of July.
Delivery estimate: 8th of August.

You're right, it's only a few days!

No problem with that UNLESS (which does happen) the item then goes out of stock as those with prime that have ordered after you get the allocated stock.

I'm with the OP on this, it feels like the sterling service we received all the time is starting to slip just a tiny bit. Paid postage should be delivered quicker but regardless of the postage option chosen it shouldn't take an additional week to dispatch the item.

I would expect (assuming said items are in stock and are coming from Amazon directly) that any item should be dispatched within 48 hours of ordering, give or take a further 12-24 hours depending on when you ordered it. A full week is excessive in my opinion, based on the scale of their operations and the efficiency they generally operate at.

Perhaps it's only on certain occasions that the dispatch is later, who knows, but I have noticed it too. I don't order as much as I used to though so am not best placed to state specifics.

Aren't those dates just 'guidelines' though? Whenever I order anything, it's usually despatched the next day and received the day after...

Perhaps I'm just lucky?

Regards, Phsy.

Original Poster

DragonChris

I'm with the OP on this, it feels like the sterling service we received … I'm with the OP on this, it feels like the sterling service we received all the time is starting to slip just a tiny bit. Paid postage should be delivered quicker but regardless of the postage option chosen it shouldn't take an additional week to dispatch the item.I would expect (assuming said items are in stock and are coming from Amazon directly) that any item should be dispatched within 48 hours of ordering, give or take a further 12-24 hours depending on when you ordered it. A full week is excessive in my opinion, based on the scale of their operations and the efficiency they generally operate at.Perhaps it's only on certain occasions that the dispatch is later, who knows, but I have noticed it too. I don't order as much as I used to though so am not best placed to state specifics.

Exactly.

Unfortunately, it's not just certain occasions but more of a common practice by Amazon. A quick google of "amazon slow dispatch" will bring up a lot of results of many unhappy customers too.

I spoke to Amazon CS about it and their response was choosing free delivery is for those who are willing to wait for a while to receive their items. Which is other words of saying we don't dispatch items quickly anymore unless you pay some more or subscribe to Prime.

Original Poster

Phsycronix

Aren't those dates just 'guidelines' though? Whenever I order anything, … Aren't those dates just 'guidelines' though? Whenever I order anything, it's usually despatched the next day and received the day after...Perhaps I'm just lucky?Regards, Phsy.

Yes they are guidelines, but you quickly realise how accurate they are when your order is sitting in your order history as "Not yet dispatched" for a week.
Edited by: "mus_ne" 31st Jul 2014

BeerDrinker

People who pay for a delivery service should be prioritised over people … People who pay for a delivery service should be prioritised over people that choose the free option. It's a choice you make.

Inactive

matt3454

Not " ignorant " at all, just a statement of fact.

Don't like the service, go elsewhere...simple.

They advise you of the likely delivery date before you place your order. If you don't like it either pay the extra to get it sooner or buy elsewhere.
Just like you'd do when you're looking to buy something on pretty much any site.

Boring bit:
They're not just hanging onto stuff you've ordered out of some sort of spite. They're doing it to make the company run more cost effectively. You're better off using the stuff you've got in stock to fulfil all next-day orders, and order in more stock to cover the orders you don't need to send until next week.
Of course, sometimes that means you've got stock sat in your warehouses unnecessarily, but as a whole the system means they run more cost-effectively and they're much less likely to run out of stock on a lot of lines.

Edit - btw it's spelt "appalling".
Edited by: "Late" 31st Jul 2014

mus_ne

Yes they are guidlines, but you quickly realise how accurate they are … Yes they are guidlines, but you quickly realise how accurate they are when your order is sitting in your order history as "Not yet dispatched" for a week.

Yes, that is a shame. Perhaps it's just certain items they have 'issues' with? I haven't suffered such instances (yet!) so I have no cause to complain. Luck of the draw; I guess; as we have no way to know which products may suffer from said issues - be it supplier or picking problems etc. I suppose that's why they give these 'wide' goalpost despatch/delivery dates. Anything under and it makes them look efficient but it also gives them a security blanket for unforeseen circumstances.

Sign of the economical times. Amazon's answer; more than likely; would be if you want it quicker, pay for it to come quicker. I'm always happy to wait (or too tight to pay more like - hehe!)

Amazon has spent most of its existence operating at a loss, and when it hasn't been the profits are small.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-10-24/same-old-amazon-all-sales-no-profit

You ask me, a company that makes such a slim profit can't really be accused of profiteering.

3rd world

Banned

Late

They advise you of the likely delivery date before you place your order.

I've noticed a lot of my ordered items lately that have a stated delivery date (in stock) and then next day I get a revised delivery date a week or so ahead. Now sometimes thats for OOS items but sometimes its stuff thats in stock

And thats WITH Prime

Rorschach1

I've noticed a lot of my ordered items lately that have a stated delivery … I've noticed a lot of my ordered items lately that have a stated delivery date (in stock) and then next day I get a revised delivery date a week or so ahead. Now sometimes thats for OOS items but sometimes its stuff thats in stockAnd thats WITH Prime

It's probably because they keep sending in-stock stuff early to people who've not paid for delivery and aren't on Prime...

I'm getting a bit fed up with them myself, I order using the free service expecting it to turn up via the letterbox in a few days or so like it used to. But instead a currier comes round with it unexpectedly, I ordered a reduced price PS vita game a few weeks back, thought nothing of it, it will go in the letter box and its due to be here in a few days anyway past a hospital appointment. Next thing I know I got a phone call from the currier 4 days before its estimated delivery date.

I assume its where you are, if they are heading that way and they have space in the van they chuck it in or something.

I've been waiting ages for my order to be dispatched for some time now, you are right, its not as quick as it used to be.

Its fine if you don't mind waiting at least a week.

Banned

I can see what the OP is getting at. My experience is pretty much this:

5 years ago:
Free delivery - Delivered in 3-4 days
+ £2ish faster delivery - Delivered in 2-3 days

Now:
Free delivery - Delivered in 4-5 days
+ £2ish faster delivery - Delivered in 3-4 days
Prime Member - Delivered in 1-2 days

So basically the free and paid for delivery has slipped down a rung in order to provide a better service for Prime members

Just keep making new accounts and get free prime...

Ordered a Poetic Nexus 7 Case, 4 weeks ago still hasnt arrived and amazon wont entertain it until the dilvery estimate of 8 weeks has passed!!!

8 weeks!!!

Didn't pay for speedy delivery, Didn't get speedy delivery, complain anyway

iAmLegendFam

Just keep making new accounts and get free prime...

good idea and then link you main account as a prime account.

matt3454

...They have the capacity to despatch within a day, especially at this … ...They have the capacity to despatch within a day, especially at this time of year anyway.

and you know this because?

Amazon reported a loss of $126m in the second quarter so maybe they are cutting staff worldwide

if you want it quicker then pay the extra. Most companies dont even offer free delivery..

'FREE DELIVERY' is not actually FREE like many people think and expect.

Someone pays for this 'FREE DELIVERY' and ultimately it is you who pays which is bundled in with the price of the item your buying. This is a marketing trick and makes buyers appeal to the deal more. for example

ITEM: £3
POSTAGE: £1

compared to item £3.99
POSTAGE: FREE

the latter is more appealing.

With amazon you can opt for free delivery or pay for a premium service to have next day delivery. And TBH i have ordered on a SATURDAY before and got it delivered on SUNDAY. Beat that.

So i expect FREE delivery options to be slower. Including despatch time. Your less of a priority.

Banned

use Prime don't be a cheapskate.

also ive found.. they hold onto orders for a while.. so they can combine them if you make subsequent orders on different days

Just use flubit, then you dont have to put up with them and you can save some money too.

J4GG4

'FREE DELIVERY' is not actually FREE like many people think and … 'FREE DELIVERY' is not actually FREE like many people think and expect.Someone pays for this 'FREE DELIVERY' and ultimately it is you who pays which is bundled in with the price of the item your buying. This is a marketing trick and makes buyers appeal to the deal more. for exampleITEM: £3POSTAGE: £1compared to item £3.99POSTAGE: FREEthe latter is more appealing.With amazon you can opt for free delivery or pay for a premium service to have next day delivery. And TBH i have ordered on a SATURDAY before and got it delivered on SUNDAY. Beat that.So i expect FREE delivery options to be slower. Including despatch time. Your less of a priority.

I'm fairly sure no-one was under the impression that when they order an item with free delivery Royal Mail or a courier service delivers it free of charge out of the goodness of their hearts...

I do agree with you though. If someone pays for a premium service then they should be prioritised - even if it means dispatching the order for someone not paying a premium a day later. Someone claimed earlier that they hold onto it for a week - they don't. The only reason it would take more than a day or so for them to dispatch is that they made a mistake and ran out of stock.

callum9999

I'm fairly sure no-one was under the impression that when they order an … I'm fairly sure no-one was under the impression that when they order an item with free delivery Royal Mail or a courier service delivers it free of charge out of the goodness of their hearts...I do agree with you though. If someone pays for a premium service then they should be prioritised - even if it means dispatching the order for someone not paying a premium a day later. Someone claimed earlier that they hold onto it for a week - they don't. The only reason it would take more than a day or so for them to dispatch is that they made a mistake and ran out of stock.

Agree, even when i did not use a premium delivery service and opted for the standard free delivery i have received my item promptly from amazon. I cannot really fault them.

ewwaxo

use Prime don't be a cheapskate.

Silly comment ewwaxo.

chocci

and you know this because?Amazon reported a loss of $126m in the second … and you know this because?Amazon reported a loss of $126m in the second quarter so maybe they are cutting staff worldwideif you want it quicker then pay the extra. Most companies dont even offer free delivery..

They are making sustainable losses because they are heavily reinvesting in expanding the company. They've gone from selling books to selling nearly everything that is legally available, electronic hardware, cloud servers and much much more.

I wouldn't read anything into the losses, I'd be willing to bet my house that Amazon won't go bust anytime soon.

Also they have very clever accountants that come up with these losses numbers. The same was that star wars has apparently never made a profit, thus not paying royalties to cast.
Edited by: "matt3454" 31st Jul 2014

fps_d0minat0r

Just use flubit, then you dont have to put up with them and you can save … Just use flubit, then you dont have to put up with them and you can save some money too.

...and wait even longer.

Just a little one please ?
http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/thewongwing101/tiny-baby-snail_zpsc23449ff.jpg

deeky

...and wait even longer.

It depends who takes your order but it will most likely be faster than being kicked around for weeks by Amazon like people here are claiming.
I boycott amazon but I have to admit that when I did use them a long time ago I had no issues with the free delivery. Most the time I would get my order within 2 days. I find it hard to believe its gone downhill so much.

fps_d0minat0r

It depends who takes your order but it will most likely be faster than … It depends who takes your order but it will most likely be faster than being kicked around for weeks by Amazon like people here are claiming.I boycott amazon but I have to admit that when I did use them a long time ago I had no issues with the free delivery. Most the time I would get my order within 2 days. I find it hard to believe its gone downhill so much.

I agree delivery has gone downhill but it's beneficial in a way. I have prime and every time they are late I complain and get a months added on

deeky

I agree delivery has gone downhill but it's beneficial in a way. I have … I agree delivery has gone downhill but it's beneficial in a way. I have prime and every time they are late I complain and get a months added on

Lol, wouldnt expect any less from a HUKDer

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/thewongwing101/snail_zps9e9a125e.gif
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769526
    2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428114653
    3. Anyone else bored of video gaming2535
    4. word association Game74244927

See more discussions