Apple

Apple wanted £59 to replace the battery in an iPhone 4s. Anyone else think this is shocking or just me? The phone hadn't been damaged or anything, its just since its old the battery doesn't last so long.

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.

19 Comments

You pay top dollar to buy you expect top dollar to fix....

Buy a battery on ebay for about 7.50, undo the screws on the bottom and chnge it over, if uncomfortable watch a howto video on youtube. A 4s is prob way out of warranty now

Original Poster

gr8h8me

You pay top dollar to buy you expect top dollar to fix....

Should you really have to pay to fix something that you can't prevent?

Original Poster

Under warranty it was replaced hassle free but now I think £59 seems like a huge jump especially compared to the price of a battery on eBay...

If its still under warranty and the battery is faulty they should replace it free

Don't they have to send it to China?

If there is no warranty left never go to apple, they are rip off merchants.

As a previous poster said, if you are confident have a go yourself. Just watch plenty of videos on YouTube BEFORE you attempt it. I changed an iPhone 5 screen this way.

Failing that go to a local independent phone repair shop.

Banned

Unfortunately batteries are more often than not classed as consumable items.

As people mention above there is other options.

However, you bought a premium product so why would you expect to be able to maintain it on the cheap? I don't understand that logic.

Just be aware if you do change it yourself and anything else goes wrong with the phone Apple won't touch it. My husband got his battery replaced at a non Apple Store then when the phone died he took I to apple, as soon as they opened it and saw it had been changed they wouldn't touch it.

Original Poster

They said a battery is only meant to last 1 year so really... are they using cheap products? really? a battery lasts one year? I got at least two out my HTC...

Original Poster

so really should you buy an iPhone knowing that if you want to keep using it after two years (1 year warranty) you will need to pay an additional £59?

RabLewandowski

Under warranty it was replaced hassle free but now I think £59 seems like … Under warranty it was replaced hassle free but now I think £59 seems like a huge jump especially compared to the price of a battery on eBay...

The £59 is payment for a) battery, b) service, c) guarantee. The ebay price tag is only for a). If you want to avoid paying the inflated service charge you can buy the battery of ebay and do it yourself or go to a non-Apple repair shop, most do these for £25-40.

check out a website called ifixit.
£59 isn't too bad considering you get an official battery and professional/guaranteed work.
phone shops will be cheaper, but use 3rd party equipment and could be amateurs with screwdrivers

get a battery diagnostic test done - you need to book a genius appointment for this. i'm very annoyed they don't allow you to do this yourself as it would be very useful for battery monitoring/self-diagnosing and for those in the 2nd hand market wanting to buy grade A gear.

just to allay your worries, apple have the biggest 3rd party market for repairs and as such things like screens and batteries are far more reasonable than say an HTC one, which although may run the most popular software, is still not that popular a phone in itself so if you busted the screen for example, not many replacements exist and they can screw you over for replacements. I lost £200 on a £300 phone when I dropped it (incidentally I've owned an iPhone for nearly 5 years and haven't had so much as a scratch on it)

RabLewandowski

They said a battery is only meant to last 1 year so really... are they … They said a battery is only meant to last 1 year so really... are they using cheap products? really? a battery lasts one year? I got at least two out my HTC...

Years are a poor measure for batteries, only really useful measure is charging cycles, depending on how your charging habits are paired with the hardware in question they can be okay for a specific number of cycles. The number of cycles in question depends on the cells. My iPhone 4S's battery still works 3 years on but the battery lasts about 70% compared to at the start. I'm looking into changing it.

I think it's reasonable for the battery to last at least two years with >70%. You may have just been unlucky with the hardware on yours.

And yes they are using cheap products, all batteries are cheap compared to the overall price of these devices.

Hansi

Years are a poor measure for batteries, only really useful measure is … Years are a poor measure for batteries, only really useful measure is charging cycles

spot on
this info is easily available on their computers. not sure why it's not on the phones/tablets
and the battery usage info on iOS8 is so behind the times oO android win this battle 100 to 0

Batteries off ebay aren't the greatest. The batteries should come air sealed with a best before date. If you're unlucky you could end up with a older or worse quality battery than you already have. Best to check what is using the power and disable things you don't need like gps.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. LG G6 International [email protected] droidauthority22
    2. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…77
    3. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card33
    4. DICKINSONS REAL DEAL £25,000 COMPETITION22

See more discussions