Apple apologises for conning people but still continues to do so until 2018 & will still bill you for it

Found 29th Dec 2017
bbc.co.uk/new…300

Apple has apologised after facing criticism for admitting it deliberately slows down some ageing iPhone models.

The company now says it will replace batteries for less and will issue software in 2018 so customers can monitor their phone's battery health.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
13 Comments

Nice

And of course Apple still would have offered to lower the price of replacement batteries if someone hadn't revealed what they were doing..

I updated my iPhone 6 & within days the Battery was draining quick . A few days after that my phone wouldn’t even turn on . I’ll never buy another iPhone again

You do realise 2018 is in 3 days time?

They need to do a recall and fit a larger battery to the iphone 6, or scrap them.
1800mah is way underspeced, since max available current is related to battery capacity.
the 3000mah batteries in most android phones are much more suited to a modern smart phone.

plus a full daily charge cycle is much more likely on a phone with a small battery, since at the end of the day the battery is almost empty, my android phone is at 50perc at the end of the day so only needs a half charge. lithium batteires have a limited number of charge cycles.
I think 500 max charge cycles is what has been quoted for apples lithium batteries

why fit a tiny 1800mah battery to a modern phone, which has a camera, gps , large screen, speakers, flash, fast processor, transmitter receiver etc

even better they dropped the capacity of the iphone 8 back down to 1800mah from the 1900mah found in the iphone 7
Edited by: "lumsdot" 29th Dec 2017

Do we know if Apple are the only ones deliberately slowing down phones and draining batteries?

I only ask as I've noticed a few of my older android phones slowing down and battery not lasting as long after installing updates.

tryn2help57 m ago

Do we know if Apple are the only ones deliberately slowing down phones and …Do we know if Apple are the only ones deliberately slowing down phones and draining batteries?

You should be fine with Android as by the time the battery output has lowered significantly it will have been years since it received an update in the vast majority of cases.

Agharta10 m ago

You should be fine with Android as by the time the battery output has …You should be fine with Android as by the time the battery output has lowered significantly it will have been years since it received an update in the vast majority of cases.

Totally spot on with LG.

Took eons to get my G2 updated (eventually went through South Korean website) and still waiting for my LG G4 to be updated to Nougat!

Like LG, but seriously considering moving on due to this update issue (unfortunately seems to be the same with many other makes of phones, so not sure what to buy next).

tryn2help1 h, 9 m ago

Do we know if Apple are the only ones deliberately slowing down phones and …Do we know if Apple are the only ones deliberately slowing down phones and draining batteries?I only ask as I've noticed a few of my older android phones slowing down and battery not lasting as long after installing updates.

Hard to tell when you have installed all the crap you do over the years. My s5 feels slugish now but I bought a new battery a few months ago and that hasnt helped.

I wouldn't be surprised if they all did it to make people upgrade more.

Just got off a call from support. Bring rolled out from the end of January for the US, world rollout to follow.

Well it's a start.

tryn2help5 h, 35 m ago

Do we know if Apple are the only ones deliberately slowing down phones and …Do we know if Apple are the only ones deliberately slowing down phones and draining batteries?I only ask as I've noticed a few of my older android phones slowing down and battery not lasting as long after installing updates.

Did you try a factory reset? That'll give them a little kick.

androidpit.com/why…low

copperspock24 m ago

Did you try a factory reset? That'll give them a little …Did you try a factory reset? That'll give them a little kick.https://www.androidpit.com/why-is-my-android-device-running-slow#step10

Did that with the G2 and it does move along a little faster, but I only ever use the phones for calls/texts/photos and maybe watching a video, occasionally speak with South Korean friends on Kakao (SK's prefer Kakao to Whatsapp), but compared to what I see the kids having on their phones I guess I'm an extremely low user.

The G2 I have is the SK model and it came with two removable batteries and a seperate charging unit (also an aerial) - absolutely amazing phone when first launched, still has amazing camera, but it's been getting more and more sluggish and occasionally freezes, so I just don't use it as much.
The G4 is an excellent replacement, but even that's been getting slower and not holding the charge as long as it used to (perhaps all the videos I watch).
Edited by: "tryn2help" 29th Dec 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants