Apple Care or Added Care for Apple Watch?

Found 24th Nov 2017
I bought an Apple Watch from Very with their recent 20% off BNPL offer. I was planning to get Apple Care on top of that but I was also waiting to see what John Lewis was going to offer for Apple Watch for Black Friday!

Anyway John Lewis has reduced the price for £30 so the one I want is for £399. Here’s a breakdown of the cost.

Very

£343.20
£59 Apple care
£402.20 (£49 excess if there’s accidental damage)(£452)

John Lewis

£399
£25 Added Care
£424 (includes accidental damage)

My question is which should I go for. The very deal with Apple care or John Lewis deal with added care?

(Sorry if I confused anyone!)
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Ask yourself how easy/difficult it will be to sort out a solution with either of them if something goes wrong.

I would not touch Very with a very long bargepole.
Just to add, JL will price match a bricks and mortar company, can you find the watch with the same terms elsewhere?
Except you can just go straight to Apple if there’s an issue rather than Very, so it’s somewhat irrelevant.

Personally, I’d do for the Very deal as it’s cheaper, although it depends on how careful you are with your watch, I’ve had mine coming up on a year and it’s got a couple of scratches on it and nothing else. They’re pretty tough although if you spend your daily life putting your arms into dangerous places it might be a different story.
windym2 h, 19 m ago

Just to add, JL will price match a bricks and mortar company, can you find …Just to add, JL will price match a bricks and mortar company, can you find the watch with the same terms elsewhere?

Although if I get AppleCare I won’t need to deal with very. I would go straight through Apple
Cakeboy791 h, 4 m ago

Except you can just go straight to Apple if there’s an issue rather than V …Except you can just go straight to Apple if there’s an issue rather than Very, so it’s somewhat irrelevant.Personally, I’d do for the Very deal as it’s cheaper, although it depends on how careful you are with your watch, I’ve had mine coming up on a year and it’s got a couple of scratches on it and nothing else. They’re pretty tough although if you spend your daily life putting your arms into dangerous places it might be a different story.

That’s my thought. As initially it is cheaper but if I do end up breaking it somehow then It’s gonna cost me more. Not sure what to do.

JL are also really good with added care. My daughter broke her iPod and John Lewis replaced it with a brand new one so I got brand new charger earphones everything. Apple would just change the device. Still very confused.
For the little difference in price I would go to JL. We had a headphone "situation" that in the end meant that we'd had 5 pairs over 2 years. At the very end when the 5th pair failed, they gave me all the money back and I bought another pair (from them) with a new guarantee. I cannot fault them. Google Very and look at how many people have issues with their so-called guarantees. Not pretty.
windym43 m ago

For the little difference in price I would go to JL. We had a headphone …For the little difference in price I would go to JL. We had a headphone "situation" that in the end meant that we'd had 5 pairs over 2 years. At the very end when the 5th pair failed, they gave me all the money back and I bought another pair (from them) with a new guarantee. I cannot fault them. Google Very and look at how many people have issues with their so-called guarantees. Not pretty.

It all just comes down to whether I’m gonna get a better service from Apple or John Lewis. I don’t really need to deal with Very again other than paying off the device.
I think Apple and JL are both pretty good with service. John Lewis have always been traditionally good, I've never had cause to complain to them, but from reading on here and hearing other people's experiences. For me personally, Apple have been great as well. My wife's MacBook Air's screen went after 4 years and they repaired it for free instead of charging over £400.

It comes down to whether of not you think you'll break it - if you do more than once then you're certainly quids in with John Lewis
Cakeboy796 m ago

I think Apple and JL are both pretty good with service. John Lewis have …I think Apple and JL are both pretty good with service. John Lewis have always been traditionally good, I've never had cause to complain to them, but from reading on here and hearing other people's experiences. For me personally, Apple have been great as well. My wife's MacBook Air's screen went after 4 years and they repaired it for free instead of charging over £400. It comes down to whether of not you think you'll break it - if you do more than once then you're certainly quids in with John Lewis

What would you do personally? I normally do look after my stuff but I’ve heard a lot of horror stories of Apple Watch screens breaking
dreamz1 h, 19 m ago

What would you do personally? I normally do look after my stuff but I’ve h …What would you do personally? I normally do look after my stuff but I’ve heard a lot of horror stories of Apple Watch screens breaking

I bought mine from Very during their last sale just before Christmas last year and didn't bother with form of AppleCare or anything. My thoughts were it would be covered by my home insurance if needed and I wasn't planning on doing anything where it might get damaged.

I've knocked it a few times in the last year with barely a mark on it, I've scraped it down a wall whilst trying to move furniture up the stairs and it's got a few small scratches on the edge of the glass, but that's about it. It really is pretty tough. I've not deliberately smacked it into anything hard to see how strong it is, but it's held up to everything so far.

That said, the law of sod says if you buy one you'll crack it on something 3 days after getting it
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants