Apple Coverage on new iPad

Found 9th Jun
Just purchased an iPad from a Private Seller on ebay and checked the Coverage. It shows the below for the serial number. Checked with the seller and they said it was a wedding gift and do not have paperwork but indicated it was purchased in May this year which aligns with the 3 May 2019 Estimated Warranty Date.

Do you think Apple will reset the warranty for the full 12 months if I contact them and provide ebay receipt. Also weirdly the Telephone Tech Support shows as expired even though it is supposed to be for 90 days from Purchase.

The iPad is still shrink wrapped and unopened.

2952559-RscUP.jpg
Community Updates
AskComputersTablet
Top comments
Why would they reset the warranty? They sold it with the warranty it comes with and there is no benefit or incentive to them to extend the warranty. for free.

If you want longer then buy applecare.

I think you do have reason to expect 90 days (from 3rd May) for phone support
12 Comments
Why would they reset the warranty? They sold it with the warranty it comes with and there is no benefit or incentive to them to extend the warranty. for free.

If you want longer then buy applecare.

I think you do have reason to expect 90 days (from 3rd May) for phone support
Is this a joke?
I am really worried about society, people don’t seem to have any intelligence these day.
No, they won't.

They don't reset warranties for products resold on eBay lol.

Anyway you haven't lost much warranty so either live with it or extend it with Applecare.
Edited by: "hearts22" 9th Jun
Even if it was still sealed its still classed as second hand when bought from a private seller.
For people mocking the query with unwanted responses, I should point out the reason why I asked this question.

I have seen on various forums that Apple provide limited warranty from the day the device is switched on. The reason they do that is because they have no other way of knowing when a particular device was purchased. Genius Bar never asks for proof of purchase as they go by the date when the device was registered in the Apple Ecosystem.

Given the unhelpful responses I received, I reached out to Apple Support and they confirmed that the date indicated is simply an estimation based on when those serial numbers where input in their system. On providing my purchase date, Apple Support has updated the warranty based on Purchase date.. Hope this helps somebody who are not aware of this.
Edited by: "varunadas" 9th Jun
varunadas3 h, 17 m ago

For people mocking the query with unwanted responses, I should point out …For people mocking the query with unwanted responses, I should point out the reason why I asked this question.I have seen on various forums that Apple provide limited warranty from the day the device is switched on. The reason they do that is because they have no other way of knowing when a particular device was purchased. Genius Bar never asks for proof of purchase as they go by the date when the device was registered in the Apple Ecosystem.Given the unhelpful responses I received, I reached out to Apple Support and they confirmed that the date indicated is simply an estimation based on when those serial numbers where input in their system. On providing my purchase date, Apple Support has updated the warranty based on Purchase date.. Hope this helps somebody who are not aware of this.

And that is totally wrong, the date is the date the device was activated on iTunes, this becomes the date warranty starts and not the date of purchase. The person you bought if from has not told you the truth they have activated it.

In the defence of the other posters, what else would you buy second hand from a private seller and expect warranty to be restarted. That does not happen anywhere, in fact Apple are one of the few who transfer warranty, many companies don’t.
Edited by: "eslick" 9th Jun
varunadas9 h, 9 m ago

For people mocking the query with unwanted responses, I should point out …For people mocking the query with unwanted responses, I should point out the reason why I asked this question.I have seen on various forums that Apple provide limited warranty from the day the device is switched on. The reason they do that is because they have no other way of knowing when a particular device was purchased. Genius Bar never asks for proof of purchase as they go by the date when the device was registered in the Apple Ecosystem.Given the unhelpful responses I received, I reached out to Apple Support and they confirmed that the date indicated is simply an estimation based on when those serial numbers where input in their system. On providing my purchase date, Apple Support has updated the warranty based on Purchase date.. Hope this helps somebody who are not aware of this.

As far I as I know the warranty starts when the device is turned on and thus "activated"... but you said it was sealed so I edited out that part where I said this as I wasn't so sure anymore.
Edited by: "hearts22" 10th Jun
eslick9 h, 26 m ago

And that is totally wrong, the date is the date the device was activated …And that is totally wrong, the date is the date the device was activated on iTunes, this becomes the date warranty starts and not the date of purchase. The person you bought if from has not told you the truth they have activated it. In the defence of the other posters, what else would you buy second hand from a private seller and expect warranty to be restarted. That does not happen anywhere, in fact Apple are one of the few who transfer warranty, many companies don’t.

The seller had received this as an unwanted wedding present and sold it as there was no need. How do you think somebody can activate a device without removing from the package. One of the reasons why Apple devices (even when second hand) holds its value is because of the unrestricted warranties provided by Apple unlike other firms. I tried to buy this earlier from Chinese resellers who are no different from a private seller given they are not authorised Apple retailers and almost every purchaser confirmed that the warranty starts from the date device is turned on and hence activated.

Anyways I got what I felt is a reasonable approach from a firm who prides on its support and justifies the premiums it charges.
varunadas19 m ago

The seller had received this as an unwanted wedding present and sold it as …The seller had received this as an unwanted wedding present and sold it as there was no need. How do you think somebody can activate a device without removing from the package. One of the reasons why Apple devices (even when second hand) holds its value is because of the unrestricted warranties provided by Apple unlike other firms. I tried to buy this earlier from Chinese resellers who are no different from a private seller given they are not authorised Apple retailers and almost every purchaser confirmed that the warranty starts from the date device is turned on and hence activated.Anyways I got what I felt is a reasonable approach from a firm who prides on its support and justifies the premiums it charges.

I have no idea how they sealed it, but Apple devices only get registered once they are activated so unless you activated it on the 3May someone did activate it. I have bought about 15 devices over the years, refurbished as well and everyone’s warranty starts when someone activates it on iTunes. We bought 3 SE refurbed from o2 last year they had never been switched on and we got 12 months warranty as soon as I activated them. That’s how it works with Apple. You have been lucky to have them extend it, but as you said that’s good service from Apple.

Chinese sellers are in some cases scam artists, they use parts to build devices and code serial numbers on them from other devices we once bought a iPhone which came with an iPad mini serial number, last time I would buy from eBay.
eslick5 h, 6 m ago

I have no idea how they sealed it, but Apple devices only get registered …I have no idea how they sealed it, but Apple devices only get registered once they are activated so unless you activated it on the 3May someone did activate it. I have bought about 15 devices over the years, refurbished as well and everyone’s warranty starts when someone activates it on iTunes. We bought 3 SE refurbed from o2 last year they had never been switched on and we got 12 months warranty as soon as I activated them. That’s how it works with Apple. You have been lucky to have them extend it, but as you said that’s good service from Apple.Chinese sellers are in some cases scam artists, they use parts to build devices and code serial numbers on them from other devices we once bought a iPhone which came with an iPad mini serial number, last time I would buy from eBay.

As per Apple Support, the initial dates shown are purely for information purposes only as till that point Apple does not have a Purchase Date in the system. You can verify this with a new iPad (still in packaging and not turned on) serial number, the Apple Coverage webpage will still show a estimated warranty expiration date. Clearly in my case, the dates were all wrong as the Tech Phone Support was shown as expired as well even though it is supposed to be for 90 days - note iPad 2018 was not even launched 90 days from now. Apple Support.

The seller had not done anything with the device - it was a gift from somebody so unless the original purchaser had bought from Apple store and that activated the May 3 date, I do not know. I only had the device with me yesterday, so I could not have done anything with it
Edited by: "varunadas" 10th Jun
Ah, Apple, the $1 trillion 'caring' Company...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions