Apple ibook G3 Airport Connection ???

Found 15th Mar 2009
Hi i am trying to connect an apple ibook g3 to a bt home hub 2 without success, the ibook see's the wireless connection but keep's telling me there is an error in connection.

Any ideas to help would be appreciated. I know nothing about osx 10.3.9 btw.

36 Comments

WPA encryption? Not sur eif it works with the old Aiport cards as these were made before that encryption

When you connect it will ask you to enter the key and what kind of key it is. Choose HEX.

http://helpdesk.coloradocollege.edu/images/wireless/airport/airport4.jpg

As Bassman said, your card will likely not support WPA. So if you do use it, you need to switch the home hub to WEP instead.

Please take notice that WEP is an obsolete security standard and takes barely 10minutes to break - personally I would hard wire the ibook or buy a USB Wireless stick.

Hope this helps.

Original Poster

bassman_uk;4647976

WPA encryption? Not sur eif it works with the old Aiport cards as these … WPA encryption? Not sur eif it works with the old Aiport cards as these were made before that encryption

It does ask for my network password, i type it in and it doesnt connect.

Original Poster

SUMMONER;4648036

When you connect it will ask you to enter the key and what kind of key it … When you connect it will ask you to enter the key and what kind of key it is. Choose HEX.As Bassman said, your card will likely not support WPA, so if you do use it, you need to switch the home hub to WEP instead.Hope this helps.

under wireless security my only option is WPA Personal ???

markrfc;4648066

under wireless security my only option is WPA Personal ???

Which Mac OS are you running on the iBook?

Original Poster

Thank's for the help will try and sort it now. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

SUMMONER;4648106

Which Mac OS are you running on the iBook?

Have you tried wiring you iBook into the back of the router, and check for software updates?

You may want to try turning the encryption on the BT box off all together and make sure the iBook can connect wirelessly, but don't forget to turn it on again afterwards.

Original Poster

Hi guy's thank's for your help, got it working changed the security to Wep and worked fine..:thumbsup:

Just remember that WEP is very insecure.

If the kids next door want to use your Internet connection, they will be able to.

Original Poster

SUMMONER;4648442

Just remember that WEP is very insecure.If the kids next door want to use … Just remember that WEP is very insecure.If the kids next door want to use your Internet connection, they will be able to.

Thank's for the advice i've just pulled this out of a cupboard to make sure it's perfect as i'll be putting it on for sale and trade tonight any ideas what it's worth?

specs.

12" ibook G3 power pc
800 mhz processor
excellent condition
256mb ram
30gb hard drive
new battery giving 4+ hour's use
airport card
cd rom
ac adapter and brenthaven case.

markrfc;4648586

Thank's for the advice i've just pulled this out of a cupboard to make … Thank's for the advice i've just pulled this out of a cupboard to make sure it's perfect as i'll be putting it on for sale and trade tonight any ideas what it's worth?specs.12" ibookexcellent condition256mb ram30gb hard drivenew battery giving 4+ hour's useairport cardcd romac adapter and brenthaven case.

what CPU is it - I may be interested in it, love all things Mac, and just agreed to sell an old iMac :thumbsup:

Original Poster

bassman_uk;4648663

what CPU is it - I may be interested in it, love all things Mac, and just … what CPU is it - I may be interested in it, love all things Mac, and just agreed to sell an old iMac :thumbsup:

Sorry missed out the most important bit 800mhz.

markrfc;4648709

Sorry missed out the most important bit 800mhz.

well I'll be interested to see what you value it as, as I have £100 coming from the sale of an iMac

Original Poster

bassman_uk;4648849

well I'll be interested to see what you value it as, as I have £100 … well I'll be interested to see what you value it as, as I have £100 coming from the sale of an iMac

I've no idea what it's worth now, i'll keep an eye on ebay too see what they are going for nowaday's and put it up at a fair price.

Original Poster

I would be interested in a swap for a windows machine of the same value.

markrfc;4648942

I would be interested in a swap for a windows machine of the same value.

I've got a Dell Latitude LS 12 inch Lappy, with docking station and cd drive and floppy drive, runs fine, usual wear on top, but in excellent condition for age.
Also comes with charger and Netgear PCMCIA wifi card

Think its a PIII 700, but would check. Would that be of any interest to you?

Original Poster

bassman_uk;4649015

I've got a Dell Latitude LS 12 inch Lappy, with docking station and cd … I've got a Dell Latitude LS 12 inch Lappy, with docking station and cd drive and floppy drive, runs fine, usual wear on top, but in excellent condition for age.Also comes with charger and Netgear PCMCIA wifi cardThink its a PIII 700, but would check. Would that be of any interest to you?

No, they're worth about 50 quid i reckon, i would be looking for over 100 for the ibook.

markrfc;4649120

No, they're worth about 50 quid i reckon, i would be looking for over 100 … No, they're worth about 50 quid i reckon, i would be looking for over 100 for the ibook.

Id reckon about £80, epecially in this condition, plus I'd have some cash to send too

Original Poster

bassman_uk;4649141

Id reckon about £80, epecially in this condition, plus I'd have some cash … Id reckon about £80, epecially in this condition, plus I'd have some cash to send too

I've just watched one finish on ebay 14" version with 600mhz go for 190 plus postage.:-D

markrfc;4649159

I've just watched one finish on ebay 14" version with 600mhz go for 190 … I've just watched one finish on ebay 14" version with 600mhz go for 190 plus postage.:-D

I meant mine lol

so would you take the laptop, and if so how much on top?

Original Poster

bassman_uk;4649191

I meant mine lolso would you take the laptop, and if so how much on top?

Sorry not really interested in a dell ls, latitude maybe D400 or 410.

how much straight cash?

Original Poster

bassman_uk;4649231

how much straight cash?

150 i think is a fair price.

markrfc;4649267

150 i think is a fair price.

delivered?

Original Poster

i'd go half's on postage. your choice of delivery service.

let me do my research and I'll get back to you

Original Poster

bassman_uk;4649378

let me do my research and I'll get back to you

On ebay as they are going silly money nearly 200 and this is mint.

if it was £150 inc I'd be getting stuff ready now

Original Poster

bassman_uk;4649419

if it was £150 inc I'd be getting stuff ready now

That's what worries me it's too cheap lol

Original Poster

Getting some pics together now.

markrfc;4649724

Getting some pics together now.

its the postage which is stopping me, let me put it that way. £150 inc and I would go for it

Original Poster

bassman_uk;4649807

its the postage which is stopping me, let me put it that way. £150 inc … its the postage which is stopping me, let me put it that way. £150 inc and I would go for it

Have posted in for sale forum here.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/358768/showthread.php?p=4649923&posted=1

markrfc;4649957

Have posted in for sale forum … Have posted in for sale forum here.http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/358768/showthread.php?p=4649923&posted=1

have replied - and I'm not stalking you, honest! :P

Original Poster

thank's for all the replies. can a mod please close.
Post a comment
@
    Text