Apple Ipad Mini 3 Bought From 3rd Party, Set Up Apple ID But The Website Wants The Purchase Date - Phoned Apple, They Say The Serial No Has Come Up A Few Times!

Found 24th Oct 2015
As above. I bought this (brand new and sealed) recently from the ebay 20% promo rush - I emailed the seller after purchase and they vaguely said it was a gift, and Apple would verify the serial number on receipt.

I got the item today and set up the Apple ID (it's for my mum's Xmas) - but couldn't input the purchase date.

Phoned my local Apple store who tell me a few items have come with this serial number - they want the original buyer's method of payment, address, etc.

What's going on here?
Community Updates
37 Comments
Original Poster
The box has a sticker on it with a number which I assume is a stock number.

Which takes me to this pcworldbusiness.co.uk/cat…40W
Original Poster
Yes, I'm trying to activate the warranty. I appreciate you replying - but I can't get beyond the "input purchase date" stage on the warranty link.

Which is why I phoned my local Apple store. They said "there's a number of items with that serial number, can you tell us what it is?". Then they asked for the original purchaser's name, address and method of payment.

I'm stuck. I can't go any further. The ebay seller simply said it's a gift, Apple will tell you how to proceed!
louiselouise

Yes, I'm trying to activate the warranty. I appreciate you replying - but … Yes, I'm trying to activate the warranty. I appreciate you replying - but I can't get beyond the "input purchase date" stage on the warranty link.Which is why I phoned my local Apple store. They said "there's a number of items with that serial number, can you tell us what it is?". Then they asked for the original purchaser's name, address and method of payment.I'm stuck. I can't go any further. The ebay seller simply said it's a gift, Apple will tell you how to proceed!

Normally when that happens I just try and select a date a week or 2 before and that works, its because you didn't purchase the iPad new, it was secondhand so the dates probably don't work out if you're trying to select the date from when you purchased the iPad on eBay.

Note though that the 1 year warranty starts from date you select.
Original Poster
I have tried numerous dates, nothing seems to work. 1st of January, beginning of October, August, September. The Apple Store were so cagey it really rung alarm bells, that they couldn't elaborate on the serial number because of data protection (!) and they needed further proof.
Edited by: "louiselouise" 24th Oct 2015
I'd be starting a PayPal claim, personally
louiselouise

I have tried numerous dates, nothing seems to work. 1st of January, … I have tried numerous dates, nothing seems to work. 1st of January, beginning of October, August, September. The Apple Store were so cagey it really rung alarm bells, that they couldn't elaborate on the serial number because of data protection (!) and they needed further proof.

In the eBay listing does it state that it comes with 1 year manufactures warranty, even if its in the technical specification. This would give you grounds to return the iPad for a refund.

Its really up to you though, you can either keep the iPad which has no warranty or attempt to return. There is not much you can do about the warranty as you don't have the original proof of purchase ect...

Perhaps inform the seller that you're going to return the item if they cannot supply you with more information or maybe even try and call Apple again to see if you can find out more information.
Edited by: "joshp" 24th Oct 2015
Original Poster
benjammin316

I'd be starting a PayPal claim, personally

I did see on Reddit someone saying "anyone can put bricks in a box and shrink wrap it" - that's what I'm starting to think now!

Will it affect my claim if I open the box? (I know it's probably a dumb question).
Original Poster
joshp

In the eBay listing does it state that it comes with 1 year manufactures … In the eBay listing does it state that it comes with 1 year manufactures warranty, even if its in the technical specification. This would give you grounds to return the iPad for a refund. Its really up to you though, you can either keep the iPad which has no warranty or attempt to return. There is not much you can do about the warranty as you don't have the original proof of purchase ect... Perhaps inform the seller that you're going to return the item if they cannot supply you with more information or maybe even try and call Apple again to see if you can find out more information.

No, the ebay listing doesn't mention anything about warranties.

The seller simply said (I sent an email pretty quickly asking about the Apple Guarantee) "Not sure, given as a gift, its brand new. assume they all have 1yr warranty when bought? Apple would know from the serial number how old it is."
louiselouise

I did see on Reddit someone saying "anyone can put bricks in a box and … I did see on Reddit someone saying "anyone can put bricks in a box and shrink wrap it" - that's what I'm starting to think now!Will it affect my claim if I open the box? (I know it's probably a dumb question).

Not won't effect it at all, PayPal are very accommodating and super helpful
louiselouise

No, the ebay listing doesn't mention anything about warranties.The seller … No, the ebay listing doesn't mention anything about warranties.The seller simply said (I sent an email pretty quickly asking about the Apple Guarantee) "Not sure, given as a gift, its brand new. assume they all have 1yr warranty when bought? Apple would know from the serial number how old it is."

I have had Apple devices before that I couldn't register, I believe it happens when there is a large time between when it was sold and being activated, the iPad could be over a year old now since it was released in October 2014.

I very much doubt there are bricks in the box instead. If there was (extremely unlikely) then no it wouldn't affect your returns, however if you unseal the box and everything is fine then yes it would - providing the seller accepts returns in the listing because if everything is alright and they don't accept returns willingly then you can't return anyhow.

benjammin316

Not won't effect it at all, PayPal are very accommodating and super … Not won't effect it at all, PayPal are very accommodating and super helpful

Talk about jumping the gun, you really don't know the situation - you're just speculating. You have plenty of time to start a case, however wouldn't it be beneficial to find out more information first.

Finally, are you suggesting to abuse eBay's or PayPal's protection system because at the moment I can't see what the seller has done wrong and if they do not accept returns then that's really unfair on them.

As I say, it is normal for Apple to ask for proof of purchase under some situations. From my experience this is normal for older devices which were not registered previously.
Original Poster
Thanks guys, I do appreciate the points of view - I wouldn't open it anyway in case that causes me problems down the line.

I agree joshp, what might be happening here is that the purchase date is over a year ago - given the seller's vagueness, though it seems a bit strange for a brand new, unused ipad to lie around unused for over a year? When buying a sealed electronics item, you assume that it's reasonably fresh from the store.....but I know life can throw up these unusual situations.

The only mention about returns on the listing is "Defective items must be reported asap and returned within 7 days from day reported"

I will visit the Apple Store in person tomorrow and see if they can help me further.
The serial number is on the box just input that in here https://checkcoverage.apple.com/gb/en/
Although it might not show up if its not been activated yet.
Original Poster
SilverBlack

The serial number is on the box just input that in here … The serial number is on the box just input that in here https://checkcoverage.apple.com/gb/en/Although it might not show up if its not been activated yet.

Yup, I've done that already!
joshp

Talk about jumping the gun, you really don't know the situation - you're … Talk about jumping the gun, you really don't know the situation - you're just speculating. You have plenty of time to start a case, however wouldn't it be beneficial to find out more information first. Finally, are you suggesting to abuse eBay's or PayPal's protection system because at the moment I can't see what the seller has done wrong and if they do not accept returns then that's really unfair on them. As I say, it is normal for Apple to ask for proof of purchase under some situations. From my experience this is normal for older devices which were not registered previously.

I know if I had a bad feeling about an expensive purchase I would get it sorted out right away.

Luckily PayPal always side with the buyer, so it'd be going right back and I'd have my refund.
To be honest I wouldn't worry, even Apple hatters will have to admit that Apple build quality is excellent, I'm typing this on a 3-4 year old iPad 2 that still works perfectly. You probably won't need a warranty
Original Poster
benjammin316

I know if I had a bad feeling about an expensive purchase I would get it … I know if I had a bad feeling about an expensive purchase I would get it sorted out right away. Luckily PayPal always side with the buyer, so it'd be going right back and I'd have my refund.

I can understand that, but I think it's always best to give sellers the benefit of the doubt initially (that and I have very little inkling how Apple warranties work!) and if it's plain as day the seller is a rogue, THEN throw the book at them!

Karma and all that
Haters
benjammin316

I know if I had a bad feeling about an expensive purchase I would get it … I know if I had a bad feeling about an expensive purchase I would get it sorted out right away. Luckily PayPal always side with the buyer, so it'd be going right back and I'd have my refund.

Whilst I agree if its something expensive then you want to sort it out straight asap, which is fine.

You're mistaken though, PayPal and eBay do not always side with the buyer that is a myth. I would love to know what reason you would choose to return the iPad as I can't honestly find one yet.

I can assure you one thing though, if I sold the iPad and it was a genuine sale then it wouldn't be so easy as I stand up for my rights - if that resulted in legal action then so be it. Buyers think they can run rings around sellers and do as they please which is why I have strong feelings towards people who abuse the eBay and PayPal protection systems. Perhaps you should PM me your eBay ID so I can block you now? X)

joshp

Whilst I agree if its something expensive then you want to sort it out … Whilst I agree if its something expensive then you want to sort it out straight asap, which is fine. You're mistaken though, PayPal and eBay do not always side with the buyer that is a myth. I would love to know what reason you would choose to return the iPad as I can't honestly find one yet. I can assure you one thing though, if I sold the iPad and it was a genuine sale then it wouldn't be so easy as I stand up for my rights - if that resulted in legal action then so be it. Buyers think they can run rings around sellers and do as they please which is why I have strong feelings towards people who abuse the eBay and PayPal protection systems. Perhaps you should PM me your eBay ID so I can block you now? X)

The fact the OP contacted apple, and they said the serial number has come up a few times is enough for me, and would be for PayPal also.

One final suggestion I could make would be to give Apple a call and ask for the issue to be passed onto a supervisor, they normal deal with issues much more efficiently. From experience calling a local store is not always very helpful, in the past they have misinformed me and have not been very helpful.
louiselouise

Yup, I've done that already!

What did it show when you checked. I would take it into an Apple Store and ask them to help, they are normally good with this. If it's been registered before you can also change it to your name they can help you do that as well.
Original Poster
That's how I approach these purchases - when I open a dispute I need to gather persuasive evidence that I have been misled in some way.

I don't really have anything, so far - the Apple Warranty isn't mentioned in the listing (though the vague reply from the seller could be intentional, hard to tell. Personally I would be crystal clear in my listing and communications with the buyer, to avoid confusion), the item is new and sealed, as listed.
Original Poster
joshp

One final suggestion I could make would be to give Apple a call and ask … One final suggestion I could make would be to give Apple a call and ask for the issue to be passed onto a supervisor, they normal deal with issues much more efficiently. From experience calling a local store is not always very helpful, in the past they have misinformed me and have not been very helpful.

Thanks, that's a bit more optimistic. I know I'm a wuss but I was in tears after speaking to them!
Original Poster
eslick

What did it show when you checked. I would take it into an Apple Store … What did it show when you checked. I would take it into an Apple Store and ask them to help, they are normally good with this. If it's been registered before you can also change it to your name they can help you do that as well.

It says: iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi
Serial Number: XXXXXXXXXXX
Check another serial number
Please validate your product's purchase date.

(I input a date, tried all sorts):
Apple is unable to provide information about your service coverage. Please sign in with your Apple ID and provide your product's date of purchase so that we can display your coverage information.
Please validate your product's purchase date.
We're sorry, but we are unable to complete your request at this time. Please try again later.

I've set up an Apple ID for my mum (the recipient this Xmas....luckily I set up her Outlook account and can tuck away the Apple emails before she reads them - she hardly looks at her email account!).

I'm going to visit the Apple Store tomorrow.
louiselouise

Thanks, that's a bit more optimistic. I know I'm a wuss but I was in … Thanks, that's a bit more optimistic. I know I'm a wuss but I was in tears after speaking to them!

I hope you manage to get it sorted out, however I am a little perplexed as to why you was in tears?

You have done nothing wrong and I'm sure everything will sort its self out.

On a quick note, I remember receiving a sealed iPad before and Apple informed me if it was originally purchased from an Apple store then I could exchange for store credit. I informed them I was not sure where the device was purchased from so they checked for me and told me exactly where it was purchase from. I did not know that was possible but they did this instore for me so on second thoughts they should be able to supply you with more information if you're persistent.
louiselouise

It says: iPad mini 3 Wi-FiSerial Number: XXXXXXXXXXXCheck another serial … It says: iPad mini 3 Wi-FiSerial Number: XXXXXXXXXXXCheck another serial numberPlease validate your product's purchase date.(I input a date, tried all sorts):Apple is unable to provide information about your service coverage. Please sign in with your Apple ID and provide your product's date of purchase so that we can display your coverage information.Please validate your product's purchase date.We're sorry, but we are unable to complete your request at this time. Please try again later. I've set up an Apple ID for my mum (the recipient this Xmas....luckily I set up her Outlook account and can tuck away the Apple emails before she reads them - she hardly looks at her email account!).I'm going to visit the Apple Store tomorrow.

I know its not working but be careful when trying other dates because the 1 year starts from the date you choose.

I have had to do this many times so I am familiar with the process you're trying to explain.
Original Poster
joshp

I hope you manage to get it sorted out, however I am a little perplexed … I hope you manage to get it sorted out, however I am a little perplexed as to why you was in tears? :|You have done nothing wrong and I'm sure everything will sort its self out. On a quick note, I remember receiving a sealed iPad before and Apple informed me if it was originally purchased from an Apple store then I could exchange for store credit. I informed them I was not sure where the device was purchase from so they checked for me and told me exactly where it was purchase from. I did know that was possible but they did this instore for me so on second thoughts they should be able to supply you with more information if you're persistent.

I'm not too upset about it not having a warranty, that's up to me to do my research (personally I don't have Apple anything, it's all Windows and Android for me, so this is uncharted territory).

It's not too unreasonable for a buyer to be told Yay or Nay about the Warranty, assumptions (dangerous things) led me to believe a brand new and sealed ipad would be reasonably store-fresh.

The conversation with Apple was talking about security measures and I got the feeling something was very wrong, that they wanted me to jump through hoops to verify this was a legitimate purchase.

Still confused about the "this serial number shows up for a few items" comment, maybe you're right, I'm being misinformed over the phone.
louiselouise

I'm not too upset about it not having a warranty, that's up to me to do … I'm not too upset about it not having a warranty, that's up to me to do my research (personally I don't have Apple anything, it's all Windows and Android for me)....The conversation with Apple was talking about security measures and I got the feeling something was very wrong, that they wanted me to jump through hoops to verify this was a legitimate purchase.Still confused about the "this serial number shows up for a few items" comment, maybe you're right, I'm being misinformed over the phone.

Okay, I understand. Yeah, I think your best bet is to either go instore.

They do normally ask for proof of purchase when you're trying to activate a product however I wasn't aware that they required any other information.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Its not going to show anything on Apple until you open it up and activate it.That will be your purchase date as far as they are concerned.Just open it up and activate it with your mums apple id then it will be all ready to use when she opens it.
SilverBlack

Its not going to show anything on Apple until you open it up and activate … Its not going to show anything on Apple until you open it up and activate it.That will be your purchase date as far as they are concerned.Just open it up and activate it with your mums apple id then it will be all ready to use when she opens it.

I must confess, I think you're right. I don't know why I completely overlooked this before, sorry!
Original Poster
I'm being told by an old friend of mine (who has quite a bit of Apple experience, which I lack) that you have to register it by linking it to itunes first.
louiselouise

I'm being told by an old friend of mine (who has quite a bit of Apple … I'm being told by an old friend of mine (who has quite a bit of Apple experience, which I lack) that you have to register it by linking it to itunes first.

You don't need to connect with your iTunes but I can't believe I overlooked this, you do need to activate the iPad first.

When you turn on the iPad you will need to connect it to your WiFi to activate which automatically registers the device, then it will show the service details.

The reason I believe you have been having trouble is the device is not yet activated which would make complete sense as to why it doesn't have a start date, as its not yet active. The 1 year warranty starts from when the device is activated, not when it is purchased.

For what good its worth, I would unseal the iPad and activate it, then the details should appear automatically when you type in the serial number.

In fact I am almost certain it will be fine once you have activated the device, can't believe I overlooked the fact the device was not yet activated.
Original Poster
Sure enough, powering it up and connecting/activating it etc works......logged in and it's all there now (maybe I should have waited till nearer Xmas but I'm a complete Apple dunce).

http://i.imgur.com/nPW5eO6.png

Phew, I can stop worrying about it now!
Edited by: "louiselouise" 25th Oct 2015
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your help, Apple is completely foreign to me and at least I've learnt something!
At least your minds at rest now,you would have been worrying all the way up to xmas otherwise (_;)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants