Expired

Apple IPhone

Found 11th Sep 2009
Hi i am looking to get a good deal on an Iphone; are all the deals standard at the moment? Looking at the16gb and on an 18 month contract. My contract ends in December but don't mind lowering to the lowest tariff if i can pick up an iphone.

Thanks
Nikki

15 Comments

Banned

all standard at present i'm afraid

This all depends what type of user you are, e.g. heavy texts or heavy calls....
I am a light caller, medium texter heavy data user. So the contract iPhone was not really a good deal for me. I got a 16GB 3G (NOT 3G S) from Car Phone Warehouse, for £359 on PAYT, o2 Store and the Apple Store were doing the same deal.

It comes with 1 years free data access and I was told that if I wanted to add on a calls or text package I would loose my free data access. ( I don't think this was true) but anyway even if I had been able to add these thing the free calls were only to other o2 mobiles or land lines. So not actually a good deal, so why am I telling you this.....

Well I am actually on Vodafone, so I jailbroke my iphone so that I could use my Vodafone sim in it. I have a 30 day contract that gets me 100 mins & 500 texts for £10, I have added to that the web pack that gives me unlimited data usage for £5.

So I pay £15 for everything I need, after the 1st year on o2 when the free data runs out you are then charged £10 per month if you want to keep data access - half the price of Vodafone. So like I said at the start, it depend on what you mainly use the phone for AND what provider your mates are on the you call / text.

PHEW !

Original Poster

Thanks for that, i send quite a lot of messages and pictures and use it for calls quite a lot but no more than the average user. I am currently on Flext 75 and never go over my allowance on that.

Theyre standard, and if youre anything like me (I send shitloads of texts) the standard contract isn't anywhere near enough. Im paying something stupid like 42.50 a month for 24 months because I had to add on a text bolt on

That is exactly why I stayed with Vodafone - even throwing away the years free data access with o2. Over 2 years I will have saved money. Comparing with CReilly (assuming he sends no more than 500 txts a month and his phone was free). Two Years will cost him £1020, my two years cost £719. If CReilly wants data in his s2nd year that will then rise to £1140, a saving of £421.......... Jailbraking and going to another provider must be a serious option. best thing I ever done.

Did I see somewhere that O2's deal with Apple for the 3G runs out in October and they will only have the 3GS as an exclusive. Might be some deals on the other networks then?

Stevie_72;6266553

That is exactly why I stayed with Vodafone - even throwing away the years … That is exactly why I stayed with Vodafone - even throwing away the years free data access with o2. Over 2 years I will have saved money. Comparing with CReilly (assuming he sends no more than 500 txts a month and his phone was free). Two Years will cost him £1020, my two years cost £719. If CReilly wants data in his s2nd year that will then rise to £1140, a saving of £421.......... Jailbraking and going to another provider must be a serious option. best thing I ever done.

Hey mate, just a heads up - if you Jailbreak (using Cydia etc) it will NOT be possible after updating to 3.1, not now and according to saurik (THE guy behind Cydia) quite possibly not ever. Something about the update process to 3.1 includes anti-jailbreak protection on your iPhone, so if you install that and try to jailbreak you are in for a nasty shock, espesh if you are on a lengthy vodaphone contract that wont work!

On topic, mine was 35 a month with unlimited data, 500 texts and 300 minutes for 24 months and the phone cost £80 (Sold my knackered old 2G iPhone for that anyway). I have since paid an extra 7.50 per month for unlimited texts, so I will be paying 42.50 a month for 24 months, plus the 80, so £1088 total for the 2 years.

Ouch xD

ttocswahs;6266746

Did I see somewhere that O2's deal with Apple for the 3G runs out in … Did I see somewhere that O2's deal with Apple for the 3G runs out in October and they will only have the 3GS as an exclusive. Might be some deals on the other networks then?

Nothings confirmed, but "talks are being held" with orange I think. I wouldnt be happy if so, because i'll be seriously annoyed at paying over a grand to o2 if that's the case xD

Why not just get an iphone from a country where they are not locked to a network ? like Thailand ?

yes went round carlisle ,blackpool and preston yesterday and no one hs any 3gs in stock

no discounts at all apart from 20 % off a case in the o2 shop

apple store 4% quidco might be an option for PAYG but the orange shops say they are getting them from 1st of october ? not sure if they were just trying to get me to hold on in case theyy do actually start with iphones

decisions ?

Original Poster

I spoke to someone in O2 today today and the 3G are becoming available on T-Mobile and Orange soon, but the 3G S is still exclusive to O2 for another year.

Are there any cash back deals on?

nikkipink;6317652

I spoke to someone in O2 today today and the 3G are becoming available on … I spoke to someone in O2 today today and the 3G are becoming available on T-Mobile and Orange soon, but the 3G S is still exclusive to O2 for another year.Are there any cash back deals on?

I got mine from ]mobiles.co.uk. Went for the 18 month, £44.05 contract. You can downgrade after 9 months if you want. Received next day after ordering.
You can get £60 cashback through quidco. You can also use code VCCOM for a free Jabra bluetooth headset. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Where does it say you can downgrade after 9 months?

nikkipink;6319434

Where does it say you can downgrade after 9 months?

Have a read of this on ]moneysavingexpert. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Great stuff thanks; just need to sell my phone now!!
Post a comment
@
    Text