Expired

APPLE IPHONE 4S - WIFI Greyed Out Issue - Apple Hardware Fault but not accepting this?

Found 29th Jul 2013
My daughters Iphone 4S has suddenly stopped working on Wifi & Bluetooth.

A quick search on web shows this is a very very common fault which may well be a latent hardware issue with the wifi chip but Apple are happy to charge folk £140+ to replace their "faulty" phones for potentially another phone which contains the same issue. Issue seems to have surfaced since recent iOS updates.

discussions.apple.com/thr…t=0
johnharperjr.blogspot.co.uk/201…tml

Just a quick poll to see if anyone has any inputs other than doing following:

1. Full Reset to new phone status and not reloading backup.
2. Freeze phone for anything from 5mins to 30mins.
3. Hairdryer on phone for 3-6mins to "reflow" Wifi Chip.
4. Drain phone and recharge for 24hrs before use.

BTW: Wifi chip that seems to be causing all the fuss is part no. 339S0154. Available for sale on ebay.

All positive inputs to resolve this issue happily received.
All negative insults about apple will be ignored (I have an android).
Community Updates
15 Comments
Banned
Welcome to the world of Apple. I had the faulty home button issue.... 15 month old phone, out of warranty so had to pay.
Is the phone insured............ Have a think ;-)
Original Poster
Hi,
Out of warranty 43 days ago :-(
No insurance either.
If your device is less than 2 years old (or even older could still work) do NOT pay anything to Apple.

My mum's iPhone 4S ear speaker went tinny and muffled. They said they would need to charge for a replacement at £139.

Mentioned the 2 year EU warranty law - straight away said that was fine and would replace it free of charge. Really annoying that Apple and other companies are making people pay for replacements when they don't need it.

Apple even acknowledge it on their website: apple.com/uk/…ty/

Use that as evidence if they do try and get out of their obligations.

Hope this helps.
Good to know, cheers
That helps
this just happened to me. im out of warranty myself but i got the phone from three so they may replace or fix it for free fingers crossed
Banned
3 will only redirect you to Apple

The 2 year "warranty" above requires you to prove the fault was inherent at the time of sale
Original Poster
Cheers for all your inputs so far.
The EU warranty law details may be worth trying but as dimebars says it might be something they throw back at me without bothering. I guess sometimes it just depends on who you deal with within a company.
dimebars

3 will only redirect you to AppleThe 2 year "warranty" above requires you … 3 will only redirect you to AppleThe 2 year "warranty" above requires you to prove the fault was inherent at the time of sale

Nope - didn't question it or anything - the staff seem to know about it but try and push for charging for replacements. The proof of inherent fault is when you try using the 6 year UK Sale of Goods Act.
That's crazy, I didn't know apple actually mentioned the EU law on their website, I'll be using that in future! Thanks
Hi,

Apple will only offer a 12 months warranty. Using the EU Directive (NOT LAW in UK as far as I'm aware means nothing as you would have to prove that fault existed within the first 2 months of having it. It's only a guideline from what I've been told) doesn't mean anything as it states you have to take it to the retailer you got it from. The retailer will then redirect it to Apple or use warranty guidelines set by Apple which means that would come back as out of warranty.

Like mentioned above, it all depends on who you speak to. I've had some extremely terrible and extremely fantastic experiences in the Apple store.

Apple were fined in Italy for forcing customers to buy Apple Care which is against Italian Law however the Law in th UK regarding Warranties is different. You have a read about the Apple fines in Italy here:

appleinsider.com/art…ies

bbc.co.uk/new…651

Original Poster
Update on my Wifi issues.
I stripped the Iphone down and reflowed the Wifi chip using a controllable heatgun (perks of where I work).
I used a profile where I heated up the chip to about 280C over a 3 min period and let it cool down fully before moving.
This was done about 2 weeks ago and Wifi is still going strong :-)

If anyone wants more details please pm me.

This is defiantely an Apple solder quality issue and as such should be warranted but doubt they will do anything about it because they think we are all willing to pay over the odds for a piece of kit which is way less user friendly than other platforms i.e. Android.
Apple will fail with this mentality eventually but they are riding the wave still.

Cheers for all inputs.

Mackone
Good news!

I wanted to revive my old first gen iPod touch. Although the wifi isn't greyed out, it constantly fails to see any wireless network, and when it does connect, drops the connection. I haven't loaded a web page on this thing for 2 years now!!

Any ideas?
I have the same issue and solved it by heating the chip with uncontrollable hatting (Weller Gas Pyropen). After 2 months, the issue reoccurred. I have repeated reheating with more excessive heat, but again temperature is not regulated and I am afraid of overheating the IC and logic board. I already have spare IC SW 339S0154, but the process of replacing it will be risky, because I see that IC has a glue around it and I am afraid that by de-soldering I will damage logic board also. Do you have some guidance for soldering this kind of chips?
I have the same issue and solved it by heating the chip with uncontrollable hatting (Weller Gas Pyropen). After 2 months, the issue reoccurred. I have repeated reheating with more excessive heat, but again temperature is not regulated and I am afraid of overheating the IC and logic board. I already have spare IC SW 339S0154, but the process of replacing it will be risky, because I see that IC has a glue around it and I am afraid that by de-soldering I will damage logic board also. Do you have some guidance for soldering this kind of chips?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions