Apple MacBook person needed (London)

Posted 9th May
A friend's MacBook needs repairing. He spilled coffee on it around 8pm yesterday and turned it off straight away, left it upside down after wiping it, since then he hasn't attempted to turn it on. Not sure if it's completely dead.

Any advice or contacts who might be able to repair please?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
What brand was the coffee? Might be able to help
12 Comments
How do you know if it needs repaired if you haven’t turned it on?
What brand was the coffee? Might be able to help
Give it another 24 hours to make sure it's completely dry and then turn it on. It should be fine.
Did the coffee have sugar in? Gonna be sticky keys if so. I'd leave it upside down in a warm place, in car boot with the sun shining for example and for 2 days. If it turns on, worst case is add an external monitor, keyboard + mouse to tide over till businesses open normally.
harrythefish09/05/2020 18:38

Did the coffee have sugar in? Gonna be sticky keys if so. I'd leave it …Did the coffee have sugar in? Gonna be sticky keys if so. I'd leave it upside down in a warm place, in car boot with the sun shining for example and for 2 days. If it turns on, worst case is add an external monitor, keyboard + mouse to tide over till businesses open normally.

Just press Shift 5 times to turn them off
Edited by: "AngelBomber" 9th May
harrythefish09/05/2020 18:50

Sounds a bit more complicated than that …Sounds a bit more complicated than that herehttp://www.mackungfu.org/cat-proofing-a-macbook-keyboard

You’re not wrong! I’m not even sure what sticky keys do, but I like the sound when you accidentally tap Shift
Stick it in a box / bag of rice and leave another 24 hours and hope for the best
a666andy09/05/2020 19:42

Stick it in a box / bag of rice and leave another 24 hours and hope for …Stick it in a box / bag of rice and leave another 24 hours and hope for the best

To find enough rice to fill a box big enough for a Mac will cost them more than a new computer right now!
AngelBomber09/05/2020 18:58

You’re not wrong! I’m not even sure what sticky keys do, but I like the sou …You’re not wrong! I’m not even sure what sticky keys do, but I like the sound when you accidentally tap Shift

A sticky key in this case is one that's stuck with sugary drying coffee.
harrythefish09/05/2020 18:38

Did the coffee have sugar in? Gonna be sticky keys if so. I'd leave it …Did the coffee have sugar in? Gonna be sticky keys if so. I'd leave it upside down in a warm place, in car boot with the sun shining for example and for 2 days. If it turns on, worst case is add an external monitor, keyboard + mouse to tide over till businesses open normally.

And if it get's stolen from your car boot bonus get a ew one off your insurance lol
djmutters10/05/2020 09:24

And if it get's stolen from your car boot bonus get a ew one off your …And if it get's stolen from your car boot bonus get a ew one off your insurance lol

Yeah you might only leave it in the boot on your driveway and then not overnight. I've used the parcel shelf in the sun to dry out bluetooth earbuds that'd got into the wash. They needed several days before working again.
Edited by: "harrythefish" 10th May
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions