Apple Magic Mouse... simply the best Apple mouse!

Found 31st Mar 2010
Just wanted to share my experience of the new Apple Magic Mouse with those, who like me, have been considering forking out a huge £56 for one. I bought mine off ebay for £45 after trying it in the Apple Store Brum and I can confirm it is the best mouse I have ever used.

I've used every Apple mouse over the last twenty years - wedges, pucks and mighty mouse but have always stuck with my Pro Mouse - however the feel of the Magic and the tablet like scroll surface of the top is superb - being able to swipe my finger over the top to scroll up/down left/right in any window including palettes is fantastic, and the zoom feature whilst holding the control key is an excellent addition. And the wireless Bluetooth works seamlessly - I have a stash of AAA rechargeables for future use which is well worth considering for the long term, though I have no idea the installed batteries last.

One of the big pluses is it is a pure Apple mouse, the problem I had with the MIghty Mouse is that if you hopped onto someone else machine all sorts stuff would happen Expose etc when you touched a particular area but with this it is simply whatever hand movement you perform anywhere on it.

It's worth checking out ebay for the best price but for those who want to buy from a store Apple is looking like the best bet, particularly if you have QuidCo, TopCashBack etc. If you find a good deal please add it below...

18 Comments

Original Poster

£56.00 Here's the AppleStore link... (don't forget Quidco, TopCashBack etc.)

store.apple.com/uk/…NTk

Wow... it's only a mouse.

\ thread

Original Poster

£48.99 at MacKing, shrinkwrapped OEM not retail packaged...

macking.co.uk/app…tml

Original Poster

krazie2004;8254144

Wow... it's only a mouse. \ thread

I know its sad :o) but I quibbled over buying it and as a heavy Mac user I can't believe what a difference it has made to my workflow so I thought I'd share it with others who may be quibbling about buying one...

I picked mine up on release date in the states (lucky timing) and haven't looked back yet!

It looks too low profile to be comfortable for very long.

edit wrong thread :oops:

Ive been a web developer for 15 years now and have used many mice, but i have to agree, the Magic Mouse is the best mouse i have ever used.

Couple it with Better Touch Tool for more options via gestures, and you have a killer combo!! :thumbsup:

Original Poster

cookiemonster83;8254188

Rather than place the whole hand on it and clasp it I tend to rest two fingers on it and hold it on the sides with my thumb and two far fingers, it feels very comfortable and light to move around. Give it a try if you have a store nearby...

Original Poster

JayBird;8254667

Ive been a web developer for 15 years now and have used many mice, but i … Ive been a web developer for 15 years now and have used many mice, but i have to agree, the Magic Mouse is the best mouse i have ever used.Couple it with Better Touch Tool for more options via gestures, and you have a killer combo!! :thumbsup:

Better Touch Tool - thanks for the tip, will look that one up!

Banned

yeah it is good, but im gonna have to sell mine now im back on windows... i love the multitouch scroll, but i need some form of back button as well, which I cant get to work under windows

Banned

cookiemonster83;8254188

I thought the exact same thing and thought I was proven right after a few minutes of using. Since then I think it is the best mouse I've ever used.

Banned

dcx_badass;8258709

I've tried it in loads of shops it's one of the worst mice I've ever … I've tried it in loads of shops it's one of the worst mice I've ever used, the DPI is absolutely rubbish and you've have to move it like a metre across your desk to move 20cm on the screen, and it'sa horrible shape, way to flat.

you are right, but there is official software to fix the slowness

dcx_badass;8258709

I've tried it in loads of shops it's one of the worst mice I've ever … I've tried it in loads of shops it's one of the worst mice I've ever used, the DPI is absolutely rubbish and you've have to move it like a metre across your desk to move 20cm on the screen, and it'sa horrible shape, way to flat.

Just tested mine now an i can move from one side of my 27 inch imacs screen to the other with a movement of about 2cm

Having acceleration turned on makes things much better

Original Poster

dcx_badass;8258709

It's not the mouse, it the settings in Mouse under System Preferences.
Adjust the detect speed and movement detection to what you are happy with and it will go like a dream, the ones you have been using have simply been connected on the computers default setting which feels very sluggish by comparison. Hope this helps.

So what's the advantage over normal mouse guestures?

Original Poster

dcx_badass;8288777

But that's just software compensating for it having a rubbish DPI.

No, that is the Driver being set to the users desired setup.

EndlessWaves;8288469

So what's the advantage over normal mouse guestures?

You don't gesture WITH the mouse, you gesture with your fingers ON the top of the mouse....it has a multi-touch surface
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 195 ***1226
    2. David Cassidy is in critical condition with organ failure11
    3. water bill56
    4. PlayStation VR is the number 1 selling product on Amazon right now1326

See more discussions