Apple really are slowing down your old devices, but they're doing it for your benefit...

Found 21st Dec 2017
...apparently.

So you know that old folk lore tale where we all believed that once a new iPhone or a new iOS update was released that Apple would make older phones 'lag' to push us into purchasing a new device?

Well it looks like it's true, but they're doing it solely for our benefit, because 'aged batteries, low charges and cold weather can shut down your phone' according to TechRadar, which they say is confirmed by Apple.

2860631.jpg
TechRadar say...

Update: Apple has confirmed it's slowing down older iPhones for a very specific reason. Aged batteries, low charges and cold weather can shut down your phone, so it's worked out an algorithm to reduce performance to protect the electronic components inside, according to a new statement on TechCrunch.

So, yes, Apple is be slowing down your old iPhone, but the reason isn't as nefarious as it looks on paper. The end result is unchanged. You're more likely to upgrade to an iPhone X or replace the battery, which we're sure Apple loves and your wallet hates.

FULL STORY HERE.
Community Updates
MiscElectronics
Top comments
deleted800342
Funny how they 'reduce performance to protect the electronic components inside' just as their new model of phone launches
The Apple sheeple will appreciate Apple looking out for them.
Segata-Sanshiro1 h, 31 m ago

Why would you use Windows unless your a sadist they are terrible too, use …Why would you use Windows unless your a sadist they are terrible too, use linux and your PC will last at least 5 years before you have to start replacing failed components

I think in 25+ years of owning PCs I've had one component fail.
yozzman12345 m ago

That’s the thing with Apple , the products and materials they use are such …That’s the thing with Apple , the products and materials they use are such high quality they go and go for years and out live the battery. Where a Samsung or any other cheap android phone will die after 18 months to 24 . I have a mix of Apple products and non Apple products and have done for 10 years and all I can say is the Apple products out live the non Apple products. But again your paying for that quality.

I think that's the Stockholm syndrome at work
223 Comments
32848977-rU5Vl.jpg
deleted800342
Funny how they 'reduce performance to protect the electronic components inside' just as their new model of phone launches
Always been confused by the Apple fad thing. There's not much logic to it
chuffedfox8 m ago

Always been confused by the Apple fad thing. There's not much logic to it

Confused by the terminology there. I think Apple products have long passed the 'fad' tag (they're usually short lived)

As an owner of an iMac and MacBook, I've never really attached myself to the iPhone or iPad. They're too locked down for my liking, I much prefer the customisation of Android products in the mobile phone / tablet area
Edited by: "BuzzDuraband" 21st Dec 2017
Graham19791 m ago

Oh, Graham. What you like, eh?
When mp3 players were a thing, everyone raved and roared about the IPOD, and ultimately bought it. It was of course nothing special (and actually quite annoying with its silly turny wurny controls). There was better non Apple stuff out there from other brands of mp3 player. To be fair their IPAD's are very good though. Not sure about their phones as have no experience of them.
Apps are built and upgraded around newer phones both android and iOS slow down phones so you upgrade. Just like every other technology that comes along my Samsung tv is now to old to install the newer apps on. I can't understand why Apple gets so much crap for this it's like putting Windows 10 on a Windows 2000, me or xp it's not going to work properly. Planned obsolescence is in every aspect of our life's now. It's not just Apple that does this.
BuzzDuraband18 m ago

Confused by the terminology there. I think Apple products have long passed …Confused by the terminology there. I think Apple products have long passed the 'fad' tag (they're usually short lived)As an owner of an iMac and MacBook, I've never really attached myself to the iPhone or iPad. They're too locked down for my liking, I much prefer the customisation of Android products in the mobile phone / tablet area

I suppose it depends on the scale of time as to how you define a fad. The iPhone is ten years old, which (imo) kicked off the proper widespread Apple trend. Popular before with the iMac and iPod, but not on the same scale.

It just seems like they are all the worst parts of the biggest companies in the world put together, yet somehow everyone ignores that.
To be fair, LG/Android up updates ruined my perfectly serviceable G2. They're not alone.
chuffedfox2 m ago

I suppose it depends on the scale of time as to how you define a fad. The …I suppose it depends on the scale of time as to how you define a fad. The iPhone is ten years old, which (imo) kicked off the proper widespread Apple trend. Popular before with the iMac and iPod, but not on the same scale. It just seems like they are all the worst parts of the biggest companies in the world put together, yet somehow everyone ignores that.

To be fair, you said 'Apple fad'.

Apple was established in the 70s, and even if you was referring to the iPhone, or the iMac, or the MacBook, or the iPad. They're all way past 'fad' stage
larrylightweight13 m ago

Apps are built and upgraded around newer phones both android and iOS slow …Apps are built and upgraded around newer phones both android and iOS slow down phones so you upgrade. Just like every other technology that comes along my Samsung tv is now to old to install the newer apps on. I can't understand why Apple gets so much crap for this it's like putting Windows 10 on a Windows 2000, me or xp it's not going to work properly. Planned obsolescence is in every aspect of our life's now. It's not just Apple that does this.

Average life span of one of my computers is seven years, looking after it properly. How many phones can you say that about? Then factor in the cost. They deserve the crap they get.
larrylightweight13 m ago

Apps are built and upgraded around newer phones both android and iOS slow …Apps are built and upgraded around newer phones both android and iOS slow down phones so you upgrade. Just like every other technology that comes along my Samsung tv is now to old to install the newer apps on. I can't understand why Apple gets so much crap for this it's like putting Windows 10 on a Windows 2000, me or xp it's not going to work properly. Planned obsolescence is in every aspect of our life's now. It's not just Apple that does this.

I think your missing the point, Apple are slowing down devices, its nothing to do with new features or upgrading. It would be like Windows 10 underclocking all your hardware when it releases a new update to protect the life of your computer.
Edited by: "limpduck" 21st Dec 2017
L
M
A
O

.... Hi Buzz
Edited by: "Bure11" 21st Dec 2017
Bure111 m ago

LMAO .... Hi Buzz

Hey

Played some Destiny 2 tonight. Don't tell the lads, but I think it's the new benchmark for the Xbox One X. Oh.My.God. talk about beautiful
BuzzDuraband19 m ago

To be fair, you said 'Apple fad'.Apple was established in the 70s, and …To be fair, you said 'Apple fad'.Apple was established in the 70s, and even if you was referring to the iPhone, or the iMac, or the MacBook, or the iPad. They're all way past 'fad' stage

No i know.

I was taking into account that the general view of them in the 90's and early 00's was that of an unpopular and pretty much dying company, so they were "reborn" in the mid 00's - if you catch my drift.

I doubt many of the Apple obsessed kids these days even know what a Macintosh was.
Here's the official Apple statement...

Our goal is to deliver the best experience for customers, which includes overall performance and prolonging the life of their devices. Lithium-ion batteries become less capable of supplying peak current demands when in cold conditions, have a low battery charge or as they age over time, which can result in the device unexpectedly shutting down to protect its electronic components.

Last year we released a feature for iPhone 6, iPhone 6s and iPhone SE to smooth out the instantaneous peaks only when needed to prevent the device from unexpectedly shutting down during these conditions. We’ve now extended that feature to iPhone 7 with iOS 11.2, and plan to add support for other products in the future.
Edited by: "BuzzDuraband" 21st Dec 2017
I think that is very bad, they should have informed us right at the beginning that the product will degrade ie. so quickly when we were buying. Mis-sold iPad you know a bit like mis-sold PPI I suppose or am I wrong.please explain.
I'm so Glad I upgrade every year However, I'm sure they have done this to more of their products, like their older MacBooks and iPads
Wouldn't it be a better option to not fiddle with the speed but allow us to buy new affordable battery and change as required, perhaps like a car or an alarm clock (you wouldn't slow down time now, would you).bear in mind I know nothing about how computers or cars work.hence please explain to me or all of us here. I'm upset that's they slow down the iPad cuz I get attached to mine. It was and is quite upsetting to see my iPad functioning so so slowly and even when people age it take a very long time for us in general to walk so s....l..o...w.....l....y. why am I not allowed to keep my ipad running at the same speed!
Wonder if Apple will invent the removable battery to rectify this problem. Joking aside why can't they just provide a cost reduced battery replacement program. I can understand them trying to hide battery issues so they don't have a class action taken against them. Also I've seen this power drain issue before and it's alarming when it happens.
BuzzDuraband1 h, 24 m ago

Hey Played some Destiny 2 tonight. Don't tell the lads, but I …Hey Played some Destiny 2 tonight. Don't tell the lads, but I think it's the new benchmark for the Xbox One X. Oh.My.God. talk about beautiful

Damn, I'm stuck with it on the OG PS4 Might have to grab one of those cheap XB deals for it just to admire the views (about all the games good for)!
noahsdad3 h, 37 m ago

When mp3 players were a thing, everyone raved and roared about the IPOD, …When mp3 players were a thing, everyone raved and roared about the IPOD, and ultimately bought it. It was of course nothing special (and actually quite annoying with its silly turny wurny controls). There was better non Apple stuff out there from other brands of mp3 player. To be fair their IPAD's are very good though. Not sure about their phones as have no experience of them.

My creative zen vision m 60gig one still works
larrylightweight3 h, 40 m ago

Why would you use Windows unless your a sadist they are terrible too, use linux and your PC will last at least 5 years before you have to start replacing failed components
Segata-Sanshiro1 h, 31 m ago

Why would you use Windows unless your a sadist they are terrible too, use …Why would you use Windows unless your a sadist they are terrible too, use linux and your PC will last at least 5 years before you have to start replacing failed components

bryanhaines3993 m ago

So your capacitors on the boards and in the psu never rise up against you or leak or pop you must have some pretty nifty caps there
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 21st Dec 2017
That’s the thing with Apple , the products and materials they use are such high quality they go and go for years and out live the battery. Where a Samsung or any other cheap android phone will die after 18 months to 24 . I have a mix of Apple products and non Apple products and have done for 10 years and all I can say is the Apple products out live the non Apple products. But again your paying for that quality.
yozzman12345 m ago

That’s the thing with Apple , the products and materials they use are such …That’s the thing with Apple , the products and materials they use are such high quality they go and go for years and out live the battery. Where a Samsung or any other cheap android phone will die after 18 months to 24 . I have a mix of Apple products and non Apple products and have done for 10 years and all I can say is the Apple products out live the non Apple products. But again your paying for that quality.

I think that's the Stockholm syndrome at work
yozzman12349 m ago

Thats funny because i have loads of old phones that work and other things, my asus laptop is ten years old next year, my tv is samsung and that was bought around the same time, i have all my old consoles the only ones out of over 30 that died beyond repair were 7 ps1s (original fat ones) and a xbox 360.

I had a apple mac 2si once it died and i smashed it outside with a hammer

I mean over 30 different consoles, the 7 ps1s count as 1 on that list, they just didn't last long with the CDROM bit
Segata-Sanshiro39 m ago

So your capacitors on the boards and in the psu never rise up against you …So your capacitors on the boards and in the psu never rise up against you or leak or pop you must have some pretty nifty caps there

OrI don't just make stuff up. One or the other.
Edited by: "bryanhaines399" 21st Dec 2017
noahsdad6 h, 0 m ago

When mp3 players were a thing, everyone raved and roared about the IPOD, …When mp3 players were a thing, everyone raved and roared about the IPOD, and ultimately bought it. It was of course nothing special (and actually quite annoying with its silly turny wurny controls). There was better non Apple stuff out there from other brands of mp3 player. To be fair their IPAD's are very good though. Not sure about their phones as have no experience of them.

Having owned a good selection of MP3 players I can say you are wrong. The iPod was an amazing device because
a) you didn’t have to curate an albums worth of music every time you wanted to use it as that’s all it would hold
b) it was a fraction of the size of other hard drive based players like the creative nomad
c) it made using it quick, simple and intuitive. Getting through endless menus which the all had was much quicker with the wheel, the software wasn’t laggy like many and it was quick to pick up as the operation had thought put into it
bryanhaines39910 m ago

OrI don't just make stuff up. One or the other.

Just say you don't know anything about capacitors, its perfectly fine to admit instead of using the very odd practice of accusing others of lying
BuzzDuraband6 h, 15 m ago

Confused by the terminology there. I think Apple products have long passed …Confused by the terminology there. I think Apple products have long passed the 'fad' tag (they're usually short lived)As an owner of an iMac and MacBook, I've never really attached myself to the iPhone or iPad. They're too locked down for my liking, I much prefer the customisation of Android products in the mobile phone / tablet area

Androids an awful OS though because of the openness, it’s overall less responsive due to having to support features of hundreds or thousands of different device and with so many devices they have to put it in the hands of the makers to update the OS version meaning devices often don’t get updated or if they do they are all lagging at different stages. It’s also not as open as you think as google force 'core android' on people by sticking more and more features into play services so they can only be used on core android as they won’t licence play services to android fork os's.
Segata-Sanshiro9 m ago

Just say you don't know anything about capacitors, its perfectly fine to …Just say you don't know anything about capacitors, its perfectly fine to admit instead of using the very odd practice of accusing others of lying

If you can provide evidence that components are more likely to fail under windows than linux I'll happily concede the point. Failure to do so will be taken as tacit admission of making it up.
bryanhaines39926 m ago

If you can provide evidence that components are more likely to fail under …If you can provide evidence that components are more likely to fail under windows than linux I'll happily concede the point. Failure to do so will be taken as tacit admission of making it up.

Once again you clearly have no idea what a capacitor is or what constitutes a component for that matter, heres a clue your operating system has nothing to do with the lifespan of your components
Segata-Sanshiro2 m ago

Once again you clearly have no idea what a capacitor is or what …Once again you clearly have no idea what a capacitor is or what constitutes a component for that matter, heres a clue your operating system has nothing to do with the lifespan of your components

Of course I do but that's irrelevant. I accept your admission, thank you.
simonwakefield139 m ago

Androids an awful OS though because of the openness, it’s overall less r …Androids an awful OS though because of the openness, it’s overall less responsive due to having to support features of hundreds or thousands of different device and with so many devices they have to put it in the hands of the makers to update the OS version meaning devices often don’t get updated or if they do they are all lagging at different stages. It’s also not as open as you think as google force 'core android' on people by sticking more and more features into play services so they can only be used on core android as they won’t licence play services to android fork os's.

Oh stop wringing they are both unix based
bryanhaines3998 m ago

Of course I do but that's irrelevant. I accept your admission, thank you.

I accept your omission that you haven't got a clue what anyone is talking about but are too pig headed to admit you didn't understand.
Segata-Sanshiro8 m ago

I accept your omission that you haven't got a clue what anyone is talking …I accept your omission that you haven't got a clue what anyone is talking about but are too pig headed to admit you didn't understand.

I didn't make a claim that I couldn't back up, I don't have to admit anything. You were so subtle when you moved the goal posts that it was like watching David Copperfield. At least you admitted it even if you did try to make out that the claim was somehow mine.
Edited by: "bryanhaines399" 21st Dec 2017
bryanhaines39915 m ago

I didn't make a claim that I couldn't back up, I don't have to admit …I didn't make a claim that I couldn't back up, I don't have to admit anything. You were so subtle when you moved the goal posts that it was like watching David Copperfield. At least you admitted it even if you did try to make out that the claim was somehow mine.

I replied to a comment stating windows is a horrible thing and no indicator of anything other then bloatware, that linux is better and a pc should last at least 5 years before needing repair.

You took it upon yourself to jump in claiming you've had PCs for 25 years without needing to replace components.

I pointed out that capacitors would rarely last anywhere near that amount of time without drying up\expanding and causing current irregularities.

Then you spouted more rubbish because your knowledge of components clearly doesn't expand beyond shoving a a GPU in it when it starts not playing the latest games so well.

I forgive your ignorance, you can't help it clearly
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants