Apple store student discount

Found 9th Jul 2012
I thought discount for macbooks & imacs was the same?

Macbook goes from £999 to £859.20

iMac goes from £999 to £879.60

Anyone know why?
Community Updates
15 Comments
Because discount varies on the product...
Apple is unbelievably overpriced. They actually invest far less into product innovation than most other companies as a proportion of profit. Their profit marginsd are sky high and they have no excuse to not manufacture im California with their economies of scale.

Because it is!?!

Possibly due to shipping costs maybe? Not exactly sure but I wouldn't be losing sleep over it.
smellyonion

Apple is unbelievably overpriced. They actually invest far less into … Apple is unbelievably overpriced. They actually invest far less into product innovation than most other companies as a proportion of profit. Their profit marginsd are sky high and they have no excuse to not manufacture im California with their economies of scale.

So much rubbish in one post. Do you also believe they should move their data centre to California to match your absurdly outdated view that they should manufacture in state too?
Smellyonion, I've edited that for you:

Apple is priced accordingly. They actually invest far more into product engineering such as their unibody laptop and other revolutionary interfaces than most other companies - who, contrary to popular belief, do actually copy them. Their profit margins are relatively high since they are a for profit organization and are out to make money which they seem to be doing rather well, and if they pull their manufacturing plants to America, a lot of Chinese people would be left without jobs and wouldn't be able to feed their families, whereupon the suicide rate would increase to more than 10% of the national average (which is where Foxconn currently is at).
FilthAndFurry

So much rubbish in one post. Do you also believe they should move their … So much rubbish in one post. Do you also believe they should move their data centre to California to match your absurdly outdated view that they should manufacture in state too?

Don't allow yourself to be trolled so easily Filth, besides I think I hear the loud footsteps of DCXXXL...
KillFelix

Smellyonion, I've edited that for you:Apple is priced accordingly. They … Smellyonion, I've edited that for you:Apple is priced accordingly. They actually invest far more into product engineering such as their unibody laptop and other revolutionary interfaces than most other companies - who, contrary to popular belief, do actually copy them. Their profit margins are relatively high since they are a for profit organization and are out to make money which they seem to be doing rather well, and if they pull their manufacturing plants to America, a lot of Chinese people would be left without jobs and wouldn't be able to feed their families, whereupon the suicide rate would increase to more than 10% of the national average (which is where Foxconn currently is at).

No, their r&d expenditure(something like 70th) is pitiful for the worlds most valuable company. Their advertising budget must be 10 fold their r&d budget. When you buy apple, you buy into a company that does not reinvest. Iphone 4s? come on, faster cpu and voice recognition(which anything could do with a software update), call that a years worth of innovation?I call that a joke.

The apple fanboys are getting offended.
Im going to get the retina macbook.
But I have a business, hence going to claim the vat back. But was thinking of getting my bro to buy it for me as he gets the student discount too.
But I want to know is this allowed?
What does the student purchase receipt look like?
Will I be able to claim the vat back on a student discounted receipt?
Not sure what it looks like but it still has to have Vat on it, I imagine it would just be looking like any retail receipt where a % discount has been applied.

I'm going to use the trick of doing it as a non-student, did t realise it was so simple.

What do you mean by non-student ^
FYI, the student invoice from Apple Store has a VAT breakdown on it so you can claim the VAT back.
smellyonion

The apple fanboys are getting offended.

How to kill off any semblance of a balanced viewpoint...
RoyalT

Im going to get the retina macbook. But I have a business, hence going to … Im going to get the retina macbook. But I have a business, hence going to claim the vat back. But was thinking of getting my bro to buy it for me as he gets the student discount too. But I want to know is this allowed?What does the student purchase receipt look like? Will I be able to claim the vat back on a student discounted receipt?

its no different to a normal apple receipt,you will be fine,remember you also get 3 years applecare free as well
RoyalT

What do you mean by non-student ^

I'm not a student but I googled how can I access the student discount and someone has made a gudie of what to do with all the uni's/colleges in the UK's links to the discounted store. I chose the one closest to me and just copied in to my browser.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants