iPhone 12 models will not include EarPods or a power adapter in the box

Posted 30th Jun
Joking,
macrumors.com/2020/06/28/kuo-no-charger-in-iphone-12-box/

iPhone 12 models will not include EarPods or a power adapter in the box, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said today in a research note obtained by MacRumors. This lines up with a prediction shared by analysts at Barclays earlier this week.

Charging what they do for a phone, should they include a 20w charger?
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
Next they won't include the phone .
46 Comments
So stupid, typical Apple. Then their Apple certified charger will be crazy expensive. If it doesn't happen immediately, in a few years they will probably block unofficial chargers working so you have to buy one directly from Apple or a certified manufacturer.

It's a shame to see this, I was impressed by iOS 14 and Apple including support for default apps (to ease antitrust concerns) but this is a step backwards.

Perhaps a future iPhone may be portless with just wireless charging support.
Edited by: "jamie15" 30th Jun
AW007930/06/2020 01:49

Haven't seen you here in a while People miss your winking.
Edited by: "jamie15" 30th Jun
deleted2525649
Apple pulling a Nintendo.
jamie1530/06/2020 01:54

Haven't seen you here in a while People miss your winking.

Hello,still here;) .
Rumours, wait and see, if people want to buy they will if they think it’s bad they won’t. Completely up to the individual if they spend the money. They have a lot of people over a barrel as they don’t like Android. But a lot have charges from previous phones and tablets kicking around so wouldn’t be an issue...

But till it’s confirmed no point getting knickers in a twist, it will only affect iPhone users but it will be the Android user what complain the most..
Bargainhead30/06/2020 05:44

Rumours, wait and see, if people want to buy they will if they think it’s b …Rumours, wait and see, if people want to buy they will if they think it’s bad they won’t. Completely up to the individual if they spend the money. They have a lot of people over a barrel as they don’t like Android. But a lot have charges from previous phones and tablets kicking around so wouldn’t be an issue...But till it’s confirmed no point getting knickers in a twist, it will only affect iPhone users but it will be the Android user what complain the most..

There is a reason why Android users have the right to complain. Apple are leaders in the industry for better or for worse (headphone jack is a great example). If Apple makes a big cost saving change like this, other manufacturers will soon follow. They'll all pose it as eco friendly nonsense and then chargers won't come in the box anymore as standard

Earphones are okay to miss out on but chargers are not.
jamie1530/06/2020 05:48

There is a reason why Android users have the right to complain. Apple are …There is a reason why Android users have the right to complain. Apple are leaders in the industry for better or for worse (headphone jack is a great example). If Apple makes a big cost saving change like this, other manufacturers will soon follow. They'll all pose it as eco friendly nonsense and then chargers won't come in the box anymore as standard Earphones are okay to miss out on but chargers are not.

Lol that’s up to the person to complain to the manufacturer of what they buy or don’t buy if they not happy. Makes no difference to me for Android as it’s a generic charger what works with all I can use any usb. This is just another thread to bash Apple. Wireless charging is generic as well so it won’t make any difference unless Apple and other makes bring out their own wireless chargers...again just another reason to bash Apple when it only effects Apple user if they want to spend the money. I can’t see it happening it’s just rumours..
How long before they remove the lightning socket in the phone? Wireless only..
Edited by: "winchman" 30th Jun
I have never used the charger that came with my IPhone X, I always charge it wirelessly using an Anker charging pad.

Strangely perhaps, I never use the supplied IPhone Earphones with any of my previous IPhones either.

So TBH the lack of either with my next IPhone won't be a problem for me.
I don't know who changed the title, but it's not true, at least not until it's confirmed, and I'm the op...
So much for having a jokey title to the thread

It was "Apple to charge for iPhone box and stickers"
winchman30/06/2020 07:09

How long before they remove the lightning socket in the phone? Wireless …How long before they remove the lightning socket in the phone? Wireless only..

2021 is the 1st portless iphone
TheBiker30/06/2020 08:04

I have never used the charger that came with my IPhone X, I always charge …I have never used the charger that came with my IPhone X, I always charge it wirelessly using an Anker charging pad.Strangely perhaps, I never use the supplied IPhone Earphones with any of my previous IPhones either.So TBH the lack of either with my next IPhone won't be a problem for me.

I only use wireless charging as well, I use AirPods so could do away with port all together for me, but they won’t as they use it to connect to iTunes to reset phone if it’s blocked..
Justsuperman30/06/2020 08:58

2021 is the 1st portless iphone

Not a bad thing, can you put the link to Apple stating this please. I’d be happy to miss the 12 and go for next years without ports..
Bargainhead30/06/2020 05:44

Rumours, wait and see, if people want to buy they will if they think it’s b …Rumours, wait and see, if people want to buy they will if they think it’s bad they won’t. Completely up to the individual if they spend the money. They have a lot of people over a barrel as they don’t like Android. But a lot have charges from previous phones and tablets kicking around so wouldn’t be an issue...But till it’s confirmed no point getting knickers in a twist, it will only affect iPhone users but it will be the Android user what complain the most..

But who wants to use a knackered old 3yo charger with a brand new £1200 phone?? If this is true, and knowing Apple it probably will be, it's just another way to screw people over and squeeze more money out of them and make even more profit...
Bargainhead30/06/2020 09:16

I only use wireless charging as well, I use AirPods so could do away with …I only use wireless charging as well, I use AirPods so could do away with port all together for me, but they won’t as they use it to connect to iTunes to reset phone if it’s blocked.. Not a bad thing, can you put the link to Apple stating this please. I’d be happy to miss the 12 and go for next years without ports..

Check a dude called everythingApplepro out on YT there’s only gonna be one portless iphone in 2021 and in 2022 full transition to portless
Bargainhead30/06/2020 09:16

I only use wireless charging as well, I use AirPods so could do away with …I only use wireless charging as well, I use AirPods so could do away with port all together for me, but they won’t as they use it to connect to iTunes to reset phone if it’s blocked.. Not a bad thing, can you put the link to Apple stating this please. I’d be happy to miss the 12 and go for next years without ports..

To be fair. A lot has changed and an actual charger is not really necessary. I havnet used one for over two years. I charge it via USB on my PS4 while playing. Most people will have access to a USB in the house. Or just have knew sockets with USB as eventually i think most products (not just phones) will do this. Its a waste of material since im sure everyone has more than one from older phones.
Be nice if Apple went to USB-C like the iPad Pro.
SmokinAce730/06/2020 09:40

To be fair. A lot has changed and an actual charger is not really …To be fair. A lot has changed and an actual charger is not really necessary. I havnet used one for over two years. I charge it via USB on my PS4 while playing. Most people will have access to a USB in the house. Or just have knew sockets with USB as eventually i think most products (not just phones) will do this. Its a waste of material since im sure everyone has more than one from older phones.

You’re not charging the phone fast i know that was the power from a PS4 usb is unbearably slow. not even mains powered. I have USB-C to lighting cable which does 18w charging 0-50% in 30mins I couldn’t just wait like that
Personator123430/06/2020 09:43

Be nice if Apple went to USB-C like the iPad Pro.

They aren’t unfortunately going straight to portless
Justsuperman30/06/2020 09:45

They aren’t unfortunately going straight to portless

Yep if they went USB-C and loosened the app store restrictions and allowed stadia and xcloud I would actually consider an iPhone.
Bargainhead30/06/2020 05:56

Lol that’s up to the person to complain to the manufacturer of what they b …Lol that’s up to the person to complain to the manufacturer of what they buy or don’t buy if they not happy. Makes no difference to me for Android as it’s a generic charger what works with all I can use any usb. This is just another thread to bash Apple. Wireless charging is generic as well so it won’t make any difference unless Apple and other makes bring out their own wireless chargers...again just another reason to bash Apple when it only effects Apple user if they want to spend the money. I can’t see it happening it’s just rumours..

Have you ever bought a Nintendo 3DS XL? That had no charger in the box and Nintendo jacked up the prices of said required charger to £10, forcing people to shell out extra for a charger (and the port was proprietary just like Apple’s lightning port).

Looks like Apple are banking on the old guard upgrading and already having 5W lightning port chargers, and will likely jack up the prices of their charger range to screw new customers buying into the iPhone 12.

winchman30/06/2020 07:09

How long before they remove the lightning socket in the phone? Wireless …How long before they remove the lightning socket in the phone? Wireless only..

iPhone 13. There will be a charging option available that is a tab you connect to the side of the phone, but the phone will primarily be charged with Apple’s wireless options. They are currently re-working Airpower to reduce the chance of interference of the magnetic coils and power transfer to the phone, anyone who has any knowledge of the way destructive and constructive waves work would know how difficult it is to ensure effective power delivery completely all over the Airpower surface as it’s intended use case.

Justsuperman30/06/2020 09:38

Check a dude called everythingApplepro out on YT there’s only gonna be one …Check a dude called everythingApplepro out on YT there’s only gonna be one portless iphone in 2021 and in 2022 full transition to portless

I watch mobile phone videos from xeetechcare who covers mobile phone leaks and potential advancements weeks before the likes of the bigger mobile YouTube reviewers. Mrwhosetheboss sometimes does this as well but is more mainstream like EAP.
Edited by: "MrMaccieKFC" 30th Jun
bobdylan30/06/2020 09:17

But who wants to use a knackered old 3yo charger with a brand new £1200 …But who wants to use a knackered old 3yo charger with a brand new £1200 phone?? If this is true, and knowing Apple it probably will be, it's just another way to screw people over and squeeze more money out of them and make even more profit...

It’s not a way to squeeze people, people have a choice to buy or go to a different make of phone. If I don’t think something’s worth the money I wouldn’t buy. People are forgetting the fact no one has to buy this if there is no charger..
Justsuperman30/06/2020 09:44

You’re not charging the phone fast i know that was the power from a PS4 u …You’re not charging the phone fast i know that was the power from a PS4 usb is unbearably slow. not even mains powered. I have USB-C to lighting cable which does 18w charging 0-50% in 30mins I couldn’t just wait like that

But if your on your PS4 playing you can leave your phone on charge. Not really an issue..
Justsuperman30/06/2020 09:38

Check a dude called everythingApplepro out on YT there’s only gonna be one …Check a dude called everythingApplepro out on YT there’s only gonna be one portless iphone in 2021 and in 2022 full transition to portless

I looked at video, but I’ll wait for official statements..

but wireless doesn’t bother me it’s what I use now. Also the only way to charge the watch and no one battered an eyelid...

I don’t see why people are getting upset, I could if the made you then buy a charger but there are options..
Bargainhead30/06/2020 11:14

But if your on your PS4 playing you can leave your phone on charge. Not …But if your on your PS4 playing you can leave your phone on charge. Not really an issue..

Because everyone has access to PS4 USB 5W ports these days...
Bargainhead30/06/2020 11:17

I looked at video, but I’ll wait for official statements.. but wireless d …I looked at video, but I’ll wait for official statements.. but wireless doesn’t bother me it’s what I use now. Also the only way to charge the watch and no one battered an eyelid...I don’t see why people are getting upset, I could if the made you then buy a charger but there are options..

You won’t get official anything till September 2021 these are pretty accurate leakers tbh but yeah I wouldn’t use wired earphones anymore I have AirPods Pro and make life much easier
MrMaccieKFC30/06/2020 11:22

Anyone has access to a wireless charging pad if they care to spend a few £'s.
TheBiker30/06/2020 11:27

Anyone has access to a wireless charging pad if they care to spend a few …Anyone has access to a wireless charging pad if they care to spend a few £'s.

“if they care to spend a few £’s” there’s the problem and the entire premise of this thread.
MrMaccieKFC30/06/2020 11:30

“if they care to spend a few £’s” there’s the problem and the entire premis …“if they care to spend a few £’s” there’s the problem and the entire premise of this thread.

I choose to charge my phone wirelessly because I can - Zero wear on Lightning port. If the IPhone 12 has no charger I will continue to do so - Zero hardship.

So at the time I spend £15 on a wireless charger for a £1K IPhone X - Big Deal.

Because my IPhone X supported wireless charging I felt it deserved it.
Edited by: "TheBiker" 30th Jun
MrMaccieKFC30/06/2020 10:11

Have you ever bought a Nintendo 3DS XL? That had no charger in the box and …Have you ever bought a Nintendo 3DS XL? That had no charger in the box and Nintendo jacked up the prices of said required charger to £10, forcing people to shell out extra for a charger (and the port was proprietary just like Apple’s lightning port). Looks like Apple are banking on the old guard upgrading and already having 5W lightning port chargers, and will likely jack up the prices of their charger range to screw new customers buying into the iPhone 12. iPhone 13. There will be a charging option available that is a tab you connect to the side of the phone, but the phone will primarily be charged with Apple’s wireless options. They are currently re-working Airpower to reduce the chance of interference of the magnetic coils and power transfer to the phone, anyone who has any knowledge of the way destructive and constructive waves work would know how difficult it is to ensure effective power delivery completely all over the Airpower surface as it’s intended use case.I watch mobile phone videos from xeetechcare who covers mobile phone leaks and potential advancements weeks before the likes of the bigger mobile YouTube reviewers. Mrwhosetheboss sometimes does this as well but is more mainstream like EAP.

Never had a 3ds xr. Every one has access to a usb plug now a days or USB port on some device. Just use the cable with any usb...or Qi charger..
MrMaccieKFC30/06/2020 11:22

Not at all but, read what I said in context of reply to other comments... they were saying PS4 is slow to charge my point is if your playing a game you have time to let it charge...

but any usb 3 would do. Eg pc/laptop..
Bargainhead30/06/2020 11:13

It’s not a way to squeeze people, people have a choice to buy or go to a d …It’s not a way to squeeze people, people have a choice to buy or go to a different make of phone. If I don’t think something’s worth the money I wouldn’t buy. People are forgetting the fact no one has to buy this if there is no charger..

Of course it is, you are very naive if you don't think removing the charger and/or earphones from the box is anything but a case of Apple squeezing more profit out of the sale of an iPhone to the consumer.

It was the same with the removal of the earphone jack, it saved them money therefore they made more profit, it was of absolutely no benefit to the consumer but that is not their concern
MrMaccieKFC30/06/2020 11:30

“if they care to spend a few £’s” there’s the problem and the entire premis …“if they care to spend a few £’s” there’s the problem and the entire premise of this thread.

To be accurate, the title of the thread was a joke about Apple charging you for the box and stickers the phone came with, but mods changed the title...
TheBiker30/06/2020 11:33

I choose to charge my phone wirelessly because I can - Zero wear on …I choose to charge my phone wirelessly because I can - Zero wear on Lightning port. If the IPhone 12 has no charger I will continue to do so - Zero hardship.

Zero wear on Lightning port? Whatever you charge with it’s your choice, but the lightning port has no direct extending parts sticking out like USB2 and USB3 ports that are more prone to wearing out.

It’s easy to use, literally just stick it in and instant connection, compared to requiring the correct side on USB2 and the multitude of connections on USB3. The most “wear” I’ve had on Lightning ports was some dust and fluff inside the port, but that’s easily and safely removable by folding a bit of paper to pull it out (because blowing into the port potentially causes actual wear by microscopic oxidation - commonly known as “rust” - a known example in practice is the SNES cartridge effect. Using an utensil like a toothpick or needle can scratch the connectors and reduce the charging efficiency).

With the number of years phones are used before being upgraded, wear on the charging port is usually not a major widespread reported problem and found in isolated cases.
bobdylan30/06/2020 11:46

Of course it is, you are very naive if you don't think removing the …Of course it is, you are very naive if you don't think removing the charger and/or earphones from the box is anything but a case of Apple squeezing more profit out of the sale of an iPhone to the consumer.It was the same with the removal of the earphone jack, it saved them money therefore they made more profit, it was of absolutely no benefit to the consumer but that is not their concern

People don’t have to buy, companies will only do what people let them get away with, if consumers don’t buy they have to rethink things..

companies are there to make money, but you have a choice, if you don’t like don’t buy. Crying about something what might not even happen, won’t change anything..
Bargainhead30/06/2020 11:53

People don’t have to buy, companies will only do what people let them get a …People don’t have to buy, companies will only do what people let them get away with, if consumers don’t buy they have to rethink things.. companies are there to make money, but you have a choice, if you don’t like don’t buy. Crying about something what might not even happen, won’t change anything..

Apple currently have people over a barrel and they know it, they sold over 40 million handsets in the 1st quarter of this year so a few people boycotting because they don't get a charger won't hurt their sales and because of this I'm sure it will happen sooner rather than later.

Which is a shame because as soon as Apple do it then the other manufacturers soon follow...
bobdylan30/06/2020 11:46

Of course it is, you are very naive if you don't think removing the …Of course it is, you are very naive if you don't think removing the charger and/or earphones from the box is anything but a case of Apple squeezing more profit out of the sale of an iPhone to the consumer.It was the same with the removal of the earphone jack, it saved them money therefore they made more profit, it was of absolutely no benefit to the consumer but that is not their concern

The earphone jack was a constraint on phone size - end of story - It had to go.

With the majority using Bluetooth headphones and wireless chargers why do any of us need a a lightning or USB port on a phone?
bobdylan30/06/2020 11:58

Apple currently have people over a barrel and they know it, they sold over …Apple currently have people over a barrel and they know it, they sold over 40 million handsets in the 1st quarter of this year so a few people boycotting because they don't get a charger won't hurt their sales and because of this I'm sure it will happen sooner rather than later.Which is a shame because as soon as Apple do it then the other manufacturers soon follow...

They might sell 40 million the first quarter, but how does that have anyone over a barrel. Every single person is free to choose to buy or not, when they don’t put a plug in the box. People are talking like it’s a big deal it’s not. You either buy or don’t the choice is your own.
Fine by me, I’ve got iPhone chargers coming out of my ears as it is and I have several sets of their headphones too.

If it means less packaging waste and a slightly lower price then that’s good I think.
I just want the phone in the box.

No earphones, no charger - That's futuristic

That's the way forward.

Trust Apple to get it right.
Edited by: "TheBiker" 30th Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants