Apple Watch

Posted 9th Dec 2019
Could someone please point me in the right direction.

I am looking at the series 5 and series 3 now the series 3 will do all I need it to but will it be very slow on the new update?

Also do I need cellular? Is it a con? Also how far do these watches really reach from the phone it’s connected to?

Hope this makes sense.

Thank you all
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
I have the Nike 3 and it's fantastic, don't see why it will slow down as it's a current model. My watch communicates with my phone perfectly inside the house, if my phones down stairs i can take a call on my watch upstairs. Cellular would be good if you didn't have to pay a separate contract.
Azwipe10/12/2019 00:02

I have the Nike 3 and it's fantastic, don't see why it will slow down as …I have the Nike 3 and it's fantastic, don't see why it will slow down as it's a current model. My watch communicates with my phone perfectly inside the house, if my phones down stairs i can take a call on my watch upstairs. Cellular would be good if you didn't have to pay a separate contract.

Apple do slow down after updates, but so do all tech. It’s getting old, new apps utilise the newer hardware and the battery losing power doesn’t help...

also why buy tech 2 years old when your only saving a £100ish, op will regret getting a series 3 now...

if i had a 3 I wouldn’t upgrade to the 5 I would wait another year but to buy new definitely get the 5...
I agree you should be looking at the new series 5. As for the slowing down, I’m running a series 1 generation 2 and it’s still updating and I don’t see a big speed issue with it. It’s like was said above, after 6 months you’ll be saying why didn’t I get the latest tech. I got mine 4 years ago when it came out and I’ve had my money’s worth. Look for a deal with a 2 year warranty like John Lewis
I had series 1 and upgraded to series 3 2 years ago as I wanted cellular so I could listen to music while running and not have to take my phone with me if your buying new then get a 5, you only really need cellular if your going to be using it without your phone in close proximity. I’ll probably upgrade my in a year or so it still works perfectly holds it charge well even with being used every day
You could get the series 4 same as the 5 except the 5 has the always on face and a built in gps compass! That’s the reason Apple dropped it and only sell S5 and S3.

I recently picked up a brand new S4 from Amazon for £269 they are out there!
Edited by: "Bluefusion" 10th Dec 2019
I have an S3 and it’s fine, if your budget allows I’d always go for a newer version. But if you only want to spend less than £200 then there’s nothing wrong with it.

Range wise, I can leave my phone on charge and pick it up around the house. It’s a standard Bluetooth range.

Cellular, bear in mind only EE, O2 and Vodafone support it and it’s not free. Not worth it in my opinion.
I got an S3 on offer for £160 a few month ago, personally I would just go for that, seems to work great.

The fact Apple still sell the S3 means it will get updates for atleast a couple of years.
I have series 3 cellular and mrs has series 5 gps. Cellular is pointless I go to gym etc and still phone is near enough to not need cellular, the mrs 5 series is definitely better but if you’ve already got a 3 I’d say it’s not worth the upgrade but if you’ve not got one at all then get the 5 right away
If you haven’t got one and money is a consideration just get a 3 GPS. A 38mm can be had for £170-200. It’s not slow and offers all the latest updates.

Don’t get the Cellular, it will cost you £5-7 extra for the esim with your network and is only any good if you haven’t got your phone. It also hammers your battery!

Obviously a extra £100-200 will get you a series 4 or 5. I don’t think it’s worth it, but if money isn’t a object.
Thank you all, I think I’ll hold out for a series 5 deal. I think the cellular isn’t needed as I’m not away from my phone very often where it’s would be totally out of range, round the house would be fine. Also my carrier 3 done accept this esim yet?
Couple of things to point out.

1) might not be relevant but with the cellular version you don't have to take out a contract and it works like a standard gps one, but you can still make 999 calls with it even when your phone isn't in range.

2) Series 4/5 also have an ECG - heart monitoring app, again might not be relevant.

3) You can save music on the watch directly, combined with bluetooth earphones you can listen to music without any kind of data connection.

4) Apple dropped support for the original version of the watch after 2 years so I would go for the 4/5 if possible.

5) Watch OS6 - the latest version of the software, did very little for series 2/3 users and concentrated very heavily on 4/5 users, so I wouldn't count on them supporting them for a lot longer, despite them still selling the 3 at the moment

6) If you use EE for your phone, they allow wifi calling on other devices, so if your watch is connected to wifi somewhere it will still ring and receive texts even without your phone or a cellular connection
iang00710/12/2019 15:10

Couple of things to point out. 1) might not be relevant but with the …Couple of things to point out. 1) might not be relevant but with the cellular version you don't have to take out a contract and it works like a standard gps one, but you can still make 999 calls with it even when your phone isn't in range.2) Series 4/5 also have an ECG - heart monitoring app, again might not be relevant.3) You can save music on the watch directly, combined with bluetooth earphones you can listen to music without any kind of data connection.4) Apple dropped support for the original version of the watch after 2 years so I would go for the 4/5 if possible.5) Watch OS6 - the latest version of the software, did very little for series 2/3 users and concentrated very heavily on 4/5 users, so I wouldn't count on them supporting them for a lot longer, despite them still selling the 3 at the moment6) If you use EE for your phone, they allow wifi calling on other devices, so if your watch is connected to wifi somewhere it will still ring and receive texts even without your phone or a cellular connection

No 6.. will the 5 non cellular version still ring/receive texts aslong as the phone is in range? Bluetooth range or WiFi does this go on? Also how far is this realistically speaking.. would it work from down stairs to up stairs in a 3 bed semi detached house? Thanks
Edited by: "dratsabasti" 10th Dec 2019
dratsabasti10/12/2019 20:17

No 6.. will the 5 non cellular version still ring/receive texts aslong as …No 6.. will the 5 non cellular version still ring/receive texts aslong as the phone is in range? Bluetooth range or WiFi does this go on? Also how far is this realistically speaking.. would it work from down stairs to up stairs in a 3 bed semi detached house? Thanks

Yep non cellular will use any wifi to receive calls if your phone is on ee and WiFi calling on other devices is active will work anywhere you have WiFi regardless of if phone is with you. For just Bluetooth range is around 200ft but it’s not that reliable all around the house to be honest
Damn, just bought the series 3 today at Argos for £199.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions