Apple Watch - Do I need one?

Posted 26th Dec 2019
So I have been thinking about getting an Apple Watch, but do I really need one? I currently have an iPhone XS Max. In the past I had FitBit Charge HRs (they kept breaking) and now more recently I got a Mi Fit Band 4 but the app has stopped working and doesn’t show all the detail (see the reviews on the App Store - they are bad). I see that you have to charge the Apple Watch every day, how long does that take? Are they really worth it? And will I notice a big difference from my current watch, apart from it looks nice?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

20 Comments
I was always unsure about them, now I have owed one since the series 2, wouldn’t be without it now. I just charge it when I charge my phone, don’t like wearing watches when I go to bed.
Only you know if you want one, I’d probably have one if it wasn’t for my Garmin which I use for swimming, walking and cycling.
Similar experience for me, always said I would never get one but bit the bullet two years ago and got a series 3 and honestly I wouldn’t be without it now. In fact I am eyeing up a series 5.

I would say it just compliments the iPhone really well, and it’s great if your a runner as you can track and take music with you without taking your phone, it’s worth it just for that feature. I find the notifications really useful and controlling your music independently is also very useful; if you time the charging right you can use it to track sleep and I use the silent alarm so I don’t wake other half up (again worth it just for that if you both have one ;-))

Get one - you won’t look back - plus Apple build quality speak for itself.
If you want a smart watch that just works, get one. I’m still using a series 3, my wife has a 4.
The 3 works perfectly well but the additional screen size on 4/5 is nice. The 40mm has more screen area than a 0-3.
I wear mine in the pool and it’s fine a the bottom of the 3m local pool.

As for charging I charge nightly beside my phone. Though I can go 2 days between charges and mine is cellular. Though if you use it for a lot of music or calls that would come down. 2 days of regular use as a watch with general notifications is easily possible.
A 30min charge easily gives the second day enough of a top up to not run out.
Daaaavvveee26/12/2019 07:50

I was always unsure about them, now I have owed one since the series 2, …I was always unsure about them, now I have owed one since the series 2, wouldn’t be without it now. I just charge it when I charge my phone, don’t like wearing watches when I go to bed.

Exactly the same here. I didn’t realise how useful it was until I owned one. Now I wouldn’t be without it. Charge it at bed time as well
Depends. If you like watches defo don’t get an Apple Watch. For me is unnecessary and I’m a massive Apple fan.
No you don’t need one.
I’m underwhelmed with my Series 3. If you’re into fitness I’d say go for it, but otherwise although handy at times, doesn’t add great value to life.
indywooda26/12/2019 08:07

Similar experience for me, always said I would never get one but bit the …Similar experience for me, always said I would never get one but bit the bullet two years ago and got a series 3 and honestly I wouldn’t be without it now. In fact I am eyeing up a series 5.I would say it just compliments the iPhone really well, and it’s great if your a runner as you can track and take music with you without taking your phone, it’s worth it just for that feature. I find the notifications really useful and controlling your music independently is also very useful; if you time the charging right you can use it to track sleep and I use the silent alarm so I don’t wake other half up (again worth it just for that if you both have one ;-)) Get one - you won’t look back - plus Apple build quality speak for itself.

Yeah I’d like it to track my sleep so when do you charge it and how long does it take?
I use my Apple Watch mainly for calorie tracking and it does a great job
Atanas_Atanasov26/12/2019 08:26

Depends. If you like watches defo don’t get an Apple Watch. For me is u …Depends. If you like watches defo don’t get an Apple Watch. For me is unnecessary and I’m a massive Apple fan.

Agreed, I love my Macs and iPad Pro, but watches are a whole different thing, you need one of these

39499306-ssUfB.jpg
Craig201826/12/2019 08:43

Yeah I’d like it to track my sleep so when do you charge it and how long d …Yeah I’d like it to track my sleep so when do you charge it and how long does it take?

About 20 minutes to virtually full and I get 2 days out of mine so while you have a shower it’ll get enough charge for at least a day
deleted1965997
ezzer7226/12/2019 09:38

Agreed, I love my Macs and iPad Pro, but watches are a whole different …Agreed, I love my Macs and iPad Pro, but watches are a whole different thing, you need one of these [Image]

Same here. Big Apple fan, but I wouldn’t have a need for one. I can see how they are useful if you are into running/cycling or if you are in a job that is strict with having phones in the workplace

I’ll stick to my trusty Pelly

39499969.jpg
Edited by: "deleted1965997" 26th Dec 2019
A watch with a 1 day battery is pointless, go for the Garmin Fenix watches, I get 10-14 days battery and use it daily to log workouts, gps runs etc. Has silent alarms etc just doesn’t look as shiny
Edited by: "Sean_M" 26th Dec 2019
Craig201826/12/2019 08:43

Yeah I’d like it to track my sleep so when do you charge it and how long d …Yeah I’d like it to track my sleep so when do you charge it and how long does it take?

I tend to do top ups, so usually when I’m in the shower/getting ready in the morning so about 25-30 mins which usually keeps it topped up, I then have a portable power bank and just keep it topped up that way if I’m in the car driving for a while or at work it just works I’ve never ran out of battery in the two years and tracked sleep every night / used it for the silent alarm.
I would say yes. Had one a few years ago. Then had some android phones and went around many smart watch brands, some good some bad.

Coming back to the Apple Watch it just works so well and so easily. With non-Apple watches I was forever waiting for things to sync, or GPS wouldn’t work properly, or whatever odd process to put music on would be flaky. On this one it’s all seamless. I love the ECG too.

Just turn off the stupid breathe app. I don’t need to be reminded to breathe. It’s one of the only things I always remember!
Once you've used Apple Pay on the watch it makes cash/cards/phones seem so obsolete.
Sean_M26/12/2019 10:39

A watch with a 1 day battery is pointless, go for the Garmin Fenix …A watch with a 1 day battery is pointless, go for the Garmin Fenix watches, I get 10-14 days battery and use it daily to log workouts, gps runs etc. Has silent alarms etc just doesn’t look as shiny

A phone with a 1 day battery is pointless, go for the Nokia 3310 phone, I get 10-14 days battery and use it daily to text friends, monophonic ringtones etc. Has silent alarms etc just doesn’t look as shiny
PhilKelix227/12/2019 08:17

A phone with a 1 day battery is pointless, go for the Nokia 3310 phone, I …A phone with a 1 day battery is pointless, go for the Nokia 3310 phone, I get 10-14 days battery and use it daily to text friends, monophonic ringtones etc. Has silent alarms etc just doesn’t look as shiny

And it's also just a phone, most people want to be able to browse,watch videos, listen to music, play games, take good photos. 3310 ain't much use for any of that
Azwipe27/12/2019 23:20

And it's also just a phone, most people want to be able to browse,watch …And it's also just a phone, most people want to be able to browse,watch videos, listen to music, play games, take good photos. 3310 ain't much use for any of that

And neither does a Garmin Fenix do the things an Apple Watch does
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions