Apple Watch series 3 or 5? Help please

Posted 13th Jan
I am looking at getting an Apple Watch however am slightly torn between series 3 and 5, I am swaying towards the series 3 as it seems to do more or less the same things. I’m just worried I’ll go for the 3 and regret not paying extra (although it’s practically double in price). Also the fact the aeries 3 is not sold in rose gold is a negative to me lol!

If anyone has either watches please could you help advise me to make a decision
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
Personally would get the series 3. What prices are you seeing? £199 seems fair from what I have seen online.
The mrs just upgraded her series 3 to series 5 (series 3 was rose gold), I’m pleased I’ve kept my series 3 ready for the series 6 this year. The 5 is better and isn’t worth the upgrade from the 3 yet, BUT if I didn’t have anything I’d get the 5 but wait til it’s close to £300, I bought her series 5 for £330 4 months ago. I’d be worried getting the series 3 that it’s be too outdated very soon so you’d end up needing to upgrade within a year.
The series 5 is nicer with the screen been full and the always in is nice, the ecg is also a nice little gadget although it barely gets used it’s handy to do the occasional check on your heart for piece of mind, I check all the families with hers every so often.
If you decide on the series 3 I’d say pay £80-£90 for a second hand one so come September when the series 6 is out you could buy that and sell the series 3 for most of what you paid.
justonemore13/01/2020 08:50

Personally would get the series 3. What prices are you seeing? £199 seems …Personally would get the series 3. What prices are you seeing? £199 seems fair from what I have seen online.

If your paying £200 for a 3 it’s totally worth the extra £130 for the 5
At this point I'd go for the 5. Considering that the 6 is not very far away, the 5 would have a higher resale value for whenever you decide to upgrade again. You might get a cheaper price for the 3, but considering that the value will seriously drop in a few months you will lose more than you save. For instance, I always sell my current device on eBay once I upgrade so I try not to go more than 2 years so it offsets most of the cost of upgrading.
If new to Apple Watch I'd say go for an older model and see how you get on until the 6 comes out.

I see Series 1 locally for as low as £60, and averaging around £80 for good condition.

When the 6 comes out and your still happy/using the watch look at upgrading to the 5, there will be used one for sale when folks upgrade to the 6.
It really depends on your budget - There really isn't a massive difference between the two devices though.
justonemore13/01/2020 08:50

Personally would get the series 3. What prices are you seeing? £199 seems …Personally would get the series 3. What prices are you seeing? £199 seems fair from what I have seen online.

Cheapest I've found is £199, cheapest I've seen the 5 for is £379, just seems a massive difference in price for not a massive difference in features so I'm torn
toonsquirel13/01/2020 08:54

If your paying £200 for a 3 it’s totally worth the extra £130 for the 5

I haven't seen the 5 for less then £379 so far, maybe looking in the wrong places
Bought my wife the 3 for Christmas, its more of a fashion item than practical, so I saw little reason to get the 5, she just likes Minnie Mouse can talk to her lol.
Edited by: "MrSprkle" 13th Jan
I have a series 3 it the best you won’t regret it
Id actually say go for a series 4, it has the newer housing design, bigger screen and better battery than the S3 without the high price of the series 5.
upmiddlefinger13/01/2020 10:01

Id actually say go for a series 4, it has the newer housing design, bigger …Id actually say go for a series 4, it has the newer housing design, bigger screen and better battery than the S3 without the high price of the series 5.

Nowhere really sells the 4 anymore, was discontinued for the 5 I believe! 😩
hellokitty32113/01/2020 10:27

Nowhere really sells the 4 anymore, was discontinued for the 5 I believe! …Nowhere really sells the 4 anymore, was discontinued for the 5 I believe! 😩

its £175.99 grade A condition here with 12 month warranty:
studentcomputers.co.uk/App…BwE

would need to buy the strap and charger separately though, should be able to get these cheap on ebay/amazon anyway (probably about £25 ontop)
Edited by: "upmiddlefinger" 13th Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions