Apple's Facetime; Whats the cheapest way to get a device which will run Facetime?

Found 25th Jan 2015
I'm an Android / PC bod, and don't do the Apple i-thing.
However my entire family is on Apple and use Facetime to talk to each other and I'm feeling left out / cut off.

What's the cheapest Apple device I can buy for the purpose of running Facetime?
Or is there any way to run Facetime on a non-Apple Device (I'm suspecting not)
Community Updates
12 Comments
I would say a i pod touch or I pod mini have a look about and see what you can get in your price range. I'm not sure if there is a cheaper alternative so apologies if there is :-)
Get a second hand ipad 2. Fairly cheap
you could always try introducing them to skype which you can do video calling with
Or switch them over to Google Hangouts that would work on both Apple and Android phones. Or as suggested Skype. You could get a iPhone 4 very cheaply etc.
or ask them to install Google hangout?
Cheapest way would be a second hand iPod touch which you could probably pickup from about £60? But as the people suggest above Google Hangouts or Skype is the best route forwards. I guess it all depends on how keen they are to speak to you if they would be willing to change the way they chat ;-)
Just use Skype most people do, we use Skype for non Apple to Apple calls
Thanks for suggestions. I hadn't heard of Google Hangouts so I'll look into that.

Tried Skype; I think its fine, family don't agree.

Didn't want to bring family issues into it, but they are basically iSheep who believe Apple will solve world hunger etc. and I'm an idiot for daring to not have Apple and therefore Face time. Apparently its fine to expect me to buy an Apple for a couple of hundred, but not acceptable for me to ask them to install the free Skype.
Sounds like Google hangouts is likely to be frowned upon as well then. Possibly more than Skype. Best bet would be a iPhone 4 - recently sold mine for £60 or an iPod Touch, maybe could get an older model for £50. Once managed to buy one for £30, sometimes see them for £40 but not very often.
lol 2 ways to look at this

1. do you really want to keep in touch with isheep who have more money than sense? or
2. do you really want to lose touch with isheep who have more money than sense?
Face time is great, I do use Skype and Hangouts but if the OP is wanting to talk to other Apple users simply get an IPod touch or iPhone 4 as both have Facetime. IMO Facetime is better than both Skype and hang outs but thats just my opinion, simply becuase of the east of use, look up the contact info and hit face time. There is no logging into yet another email address or need for another app on your device. Hangouts is pretty good though and use it on my desktop, Skype I have to use for work purposes and its went downhill terriby since Microsoft bought it.
maddogb

lol 2 ways to look at this1. do you really want to keep in touch with … lol 2 ways to look at this1. do you really want to keep in touch with isheep who have more money than sense? or2. do you really want to lose touch with isheep who have more money than sense?

You can choose your friends, you can't choose your family!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants