Apples new update

Found 19th Sep 2017
Owners of iPhones and iPads who install the latest version of Apple's mobile operating system will find that some older apps will stop working.
The move will generally affect apps that have not been updated in the past two years.
Although many will have been abandoned by their developers, owners will still use some of them frequently.
It is a consequence of iOS 11 being restricted to running apps written in what is known as 64-bit code.
Community Updates
Misc
12 Comments
Nothing new.
Every time you open such an App it warns you that it may slow your device down and that it needs updated.
Now it tells you it won't work on iOS11 when you open it, so it shouldn't be a surprise to everyone.

I know this will be use to beat on Apple. However this is 100% one of those someone had to do it steps.
If developers would start doing true 64bit apps then we could use memory properly on hardware. It might also prompt developers to actually design for multiple cores too. Not all relevant here but the industry does need to move on.
Oneday778 m ago

Nothing new.Every time you open such an App it warns you that it may slow …Nothing new.Every time you open such an App it warns you that it may slow your device down and that it needs updated.Now it tells you it won't work on iOS11 when you open it, so it shouldn't be a surprise to everyone.I know this will be use to beat on Apple. However this is 100% one of those someone had to do it steps.If developers would start doing true 64bit apps then we could use memory properly on hardware. It might also prompt developers to actually design for multiple cores too. Not all relevant here but the industry does need to move on.

First time I have seen someone jump to the defence of a company before they have been attacked.
CoeK28 m ago

First time I have seen someone jump to the defence of a company before …First time I have seen someone jump to the defence of a company before they have been attacked.

To be honest it's a bugbear of mine. 64bit applications regardless of platform should be much more common place now.
A company I used to work for developed Database products. The underlying framework was 64bit DBs but only 32bit clients. Made setup and compatibility a pain in the rear end.

Now a days, everyone thinks they can write an app or program etc. but don't bother to always do it right
Had iOS 11 since may hasn’t had a propane so far
Sorry problem . Stupid keyboard
Predikuesi31 m ago

Hopefully that wasn't on the iOS keyboard.

Yes
Oneday776 h, 32 m ago

Nothing new.Every time you open such an App it warns you that it may slow …Nothing new.Every time you open such an App it warns you that it may slow your device down and that it needs updated.Now it tells you it won't work on iOS11 when you open it, so it shouldn't be a surprise to everyone.I know this will be use to beat on Apple. However this is 100% one of those someone had to do it steps.If developers would start doing true 64bit apps then we could use memory properly on hardware. It might also prompt developers to actually design for multiple cores too. Not all relevant here but the industry does need to move on.

Slowing down and stopping working are entirely different though.
Not everything benefits from moving to 64 bit and it usually means that apps will consume more RAM which is not ideal considering how stingy Apple are with RAM; the new Iphone 8 is 2GB and a lot of devices that will support this update will have 1GB.
But it does streamline the O/S so it will take up less space than if it still supported 32 bit apps which is handy for all those devices with 8GB of storage.
Maybe if Apple had given their devices more than entry level RAM and storage quotas in the past they wouldn't be in this pickle.
By pickle I mean they increased their profits on older devices by under specifying them and made them less future proof so requiring people to upgrade more frequently.
Yes, Apple are really in a pickle here, Harrods caviar pickle.
There's probably a smoking gun PowerPoint presentation somewhere showing how they can maximise profits by keeping hardware specs low and making iOS too slow on older hardware etc.
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
There is many a fool out there.
Agharta23 m ago

Slowing down and stopping working are entirely different though.Not …Slowing down and stopping working are entirely different though.Not everything benefits from moving to 64 bit and it usually means that apps will consume more RAM which is not ideal considering how stingy Apple are with RAM; the new Iphone 8 is 2GB and a lot of devices that will support this update will have 1GB.But it does streamline the O/S so it will take up less space than if it still supported 32 bit apps which is handy for all those devices with 8GB of storage.Maybe if Apple had given their devices more than entry level RAM and storage quotas in the past they wouldn't be in this pickle.By pickle I mean they increased their profits on older devices by under specifying them and made them less future proof so requiring people to upgrade more frequently.Yes, Apple are really in a pickle here, Harrods caviar pickle. There's probably a smoking gun PowerPoint presentation somewhere showing how they can maximise profits by keeping hardware specs low and making iOS too slow on older hardware etc.Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.There is many a fool out there.

While I agree Apple should be less than stingy with storage. As for operating RAM they do far better than Android. Just because you see 2GB and more as desirable on Android doesn't mean Apple is behind.
Their OS is far more efficient at working with RAM. Android is terrible and you'll find most people agree to that fact.
Apple aren't innocent in most of the things they do. However they do try and make their devices work as efficiently as possible. How many whole Android versions does a typical Samsung phone get? 2 if lucky?
Luckily no one uses IOS anymore........right?
Edited by: "Jace_Phoenix" 20th Sep 2017
deleted1431257
Just now I took a phone call to set up an assessment center appointment, the call center assistant said she was going to send me an email with details. I booked the assessment date on the phonecall and then I went on 'calendar' and about to set the reminder. As soon as I was setting the reminder and typed in the company name the app immediately set the full reminder by itself, the company, that it was an assessment center appointment, and at the exact time. 10 seconds later of myself being stunned by what I saw, I received the email on gmail. Note that I have Siri and any other kind of app listening devices turned off on my iPhone SE. Anyone figure out how the calendar app was able to set the exact details by itself? This never happened for me on the previous iOS versions as I set details and reminders manually.
Edited by: "deleted1431257" 21st Sep 2017
Oneday7719th Sep

While I agree Apple should be less than stingy with storage. As for …While I agree Apple should be less than stingy with storage. As for operating RAM they do far better than Android. Just because you see 2GB and more as desirable on Android doesn't mean Apple is behind. Their OS is far more efficient at working with RAM. Android is terrible and you'll find most people agree to that fact.Apple aren't innocent in most of the things they do. However they do try and make their devices work as efficiently as possible. How many whole Android versions does a typical Samsung phone get? 2 if lucky?

2gb of ram means the iPhone 8 will have a short life, after a few updates of iOS you will need an iPhone 11 with 3gb of ram
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants