Expired

Apples Terrible Service & Repair and So Arrogant They Have No Complaints Department!

Found 8th Sep 2014
SO my lads Lightning cable frayed at one end and after a month in that condition has stopped working,

So its on to live chat with Apple,

and they advise they can send me and new one and then i send the faulty one back, but before they will do that they want to charge my card the retail value of the cable and will refund when received back.

So i refuse this option, as asked what they will do with my card details afterwards will they be stored etc? they advise they do not have an answer to that......

So yes the keep them!!

My 2nd option is an apple store or auth dealer, my nearest is Carmarthen Stormfront. who a quick call too while on live chat said! Apple have told us not to accept returns of lightning cables and to refer me to apple support, i explained apple sent me and the guy on the phone says not my problem basically.

so i ask Apple can i not just send my cable in and get a replacement when received..

NO. you must give us you card details only..

i think this is out of order, my next nearest proper apple store is a 100 mile drive to Cardiff, it will cost me more in fuel than to buy a new cable..

I think I am finally done with Apple, because to top it off, They are so arrogant that they do not have complaints! only feedback which they may or may not read.

68 Comments

Why don't you just give them your card details? Seriously, it's not like they're gonna keep your card details to nick money from you. What about every other site you have bought goods from? Do you ask them to remove your card details after your purchase?

Original Poster

deeky

Why don't you just give them your card details? Seriously, it's not like … Why don't you just give them your card details? Seriously, it's not like they're gonna keep your card details to nick money from you. What about every other site you have bought goods from? Do you ask them to remove your card details after your purchase?

Its not that i do not agree in them charging me and then refunding, i could just buy an apple cable and do that.

also other sites only store details if you agree, Apple seem to think they are above all that.. and i do not trust their security after recent events.

I've bought a few 3rd party cables now as well, so stuff em.. ill just claim through amazon in future.
Edited by: "haritori" 8th Sep 2014

haritori

Its not that i do not agree in them charging me and then refunding, i … Its not that i do not agree in them charging me and then refunding, i could just buy an apple cable and do that.

But I don't see the difference between you sending them the cable and then waiting for a replacement, and you giving them your card details and then waiting for them to refund you when they receive the faulty one. In fact, you'll get your replacement sooner their way.

Original Poster

deeky

But I don't see the difference between you sending them the cable and … But I don't see the difference between you sending them the cable and then waiting for a replacement, and you giving them your card details and then waiting for them to refund you when they receive the faulty one. In fact, you'll get your replacement sooner their way.

because if i send a cable and get one back then thats fine, i do not mind waiting, but why should i have pay!! to get a replacement and then get a refund? ive never had this with Microsoft, Sony Or Samsung, infact i have never had it with Apple before, they used to send you a box you return it and you get a replacement, but now you have to pay up front first??

what if i didnt have a bank account, I coudlnt afford the £15.00, i asked them that and they said borrow a freinds card!

haritori

becuase if i send a cable and get one back then thats fine, i do not mind … becuase if i send a cable and get one back then thats fine, i do not mind waiting, but why should i have pay!! to get a replacement and then get a refund? ive never had this with Microsoft, Sony Or Samsung..

I completely agree that it seems a bit long-winded, but if that's how they work...

It seems your real issue is giving them your card details and tbh I can think of many retailers who I'd be much more wary of than Apple (disclaimer - I don't own a single Apple product X))

I've used Apple returns for a set of headphones using the same procedure. It is fine! They didn't actually charge me. Just put a hold on my account for about £25, then just cancelled it.

It meant that I could keep using the intermittent headphones whilst waiting for a replacement.

For me, I MUCH prefer this procedure. Furthermore, Amazon do the same. I know this, because my partner had an issue with a Kindle.

If it were me I would take this option. You will spend nothing and get a new cable.

Banned

Apple have got a fantastic customer service. Have always resolved any problem I had without any problems.

What they suggested to you is normal. Had the same issue with a mac charger. I gave my card details and was never charged.

Original Poster

Evil_Ryu

Apple have got a fantastic customer service. Have always resolved any … Apple have got a fantastic customer service. Have always resolved any problem I had without any problems. What they suggested to you is normal. Had the same issue with a mac charger. I gave my card details and was never charged.

OK i understand it may be norm, but if i do not want to give my details for my reason then why should i have too, also why are they informing auth dealers to not accept lightning cable returns?

haritori

OK i understand it may be norm, but if i do not want to give my details … OK i understand it may be norm, but if i do not want to give my details for my reason then why should i have too, also why are they informing auth dealers to not accept lightning cable returns?

At a guess.... there are a lot of fakes around and perhaps they don't trust auth dealers to tell the difference.

I get your point, but if you don't want to, that's too bad by the sound of it. You lose out. I do think they have the best customer service bar none! Always had good things to say about them after a headphone replacement, macbook screen replacement and sleep/wake button fix.

Have received nothing but excellent service from Apple. My iPhone 5s developed a fault, took it to the apple store they replaced it there and then.

haritori

OK i understand it may be norm, but if i do not want to give my details … OK i understand it may be norm, but if i do not want to give my details for my reason then why should i have too, also why are they informing auth dealers to not accept lightning cable returns?

What exactly do you think they are gona do with your details? You are worrying for no reason at all.

Banned

haritori

Not sure why. Perhaps it's their policy to ensure people do actually send the faulty cable back.

Stop being awkward and just give your details.

_skeeter_

What exactly do you think they are gona do with your details? You are … What exactly do you think they are gona do with your details? You are worrying for no reason at all.

Yes I wonder
[img]i.imgur.com/222…gif?1[/img]

ppl keep on topic please bash crapple first

moto g would never give u bad service like crapple

Original Poster

_skeeter_

What exactly do you think they are gona do with your details? You are … What exactly do you think they are gona do with your details? You are worrying for no reason at all.

Maybe....

thewongwing101

Yes I wonder[img]http://i.imgur.com/2223QGK.gif?1[/img]

Never saw

deeky

Never saw

Just realised now I have haritori properly worried X)

_skeeter_

Yes because Apple are world leaders in data security. No celebrity's icloud accounts were comprised at all (!)

I'd be seriously cheesed off too, why should they take your money to fix something that isn't your fault? Even if they will give it back. They have no idea what your position is.

But that's apple support for you. Obstructive.
Edited by: "MSK." 8th Sep 2014

Personally i dont see a problem with it. Rather that than having to send the cable off and wait for them to check it etc. Its £15 not exactly a lot of money.

If you're daft and rich enough to buy Apple , just to be fashionable, what do you expect Poor VFM at best

Apple's after sales service is fantastic. Just give them your card details and send your cable back to them.

Original Poster

moneysavingkitten

Yes because Apple are world leaders in data security. No celebrity's … Yes because Apple are world leaders in data security. No celebrity's icloud accounts were comprised at all (!)I'd be seriously cheesed off too, why should they take your money to fix something that is your fault? Even if they will give it back. They have no idea what your position is.But that's apple support for you. Obstructive.

Exactly my point, It is not about affording it or having a card, its about Apple's arrogance to charge me for a faulty product of theirs like i cannot be trusted, they give me no option of returning first.

I am concerned how many people are willing to blindly give important details to Apple because they say so...

Remember when Sony had everyones bank details? Remember last week how Apple iCloud was Hacked? I am not paranoid just cautious. and don't get me started on Apple's warranty being 12 months when they have to legally offer 24!

thewongwing101

Yes I wonder[img]http://i.imgur.com/2223QGK.gif?1[/img]

deeky

Never saw

thewongwing101

Just realised now I have haritori properly worried X)

You are just iClouding the issue.

i would probably do the card thing as it would end up faster for me but i dont see why anyone should be forced into the card route if willing to send it back first

deeky

Never saw

you never missed much deek
Edited by: "brilly" 8th Sep 2014

haritori

Exactly my point, It is not about affording it or having a card, its … Exactly my point, It is not about affording it or having a card, its about Apple's arrogance to charge me for a faulty product of theirs like i cannot be trusted, they give me no option of returning first.I am concerned how many people are willing to blindly give important details to Apple because they say so... Remember when Sony had everyones bank details? Remember last week how Apple iCloud was Hacked? I am not paranoid just cautious. and don't get me started on Apple's warranty being 12 months when they have to legally offer 24!

Yep. The whole Sony debacle was painful. They were the only company I had trusted with saving my card details and they made a fool out of me. Never save them now and usually pay Sony with phone credit.

I agree there is no good reason to give them your card details. I don't know what I would do in your position tbh. I think them not giving you the option to return the cable first is pathetic. If this was any other company you had to pay first to return something, people would be crying scam.

I've discovered they have a feedback page, but it doesn't cover cables:

apple.com/fee…ck/

Perhaps you can find some other avenue to contact them by to make a complaint?

ETA: Oh and lets not forget their extended warranties that covered people for less than the legal minimum allowed by law for any consumer, regardless of if they paid for that warranty or not. Perhaps you could take it up with trading standards or something.
Edited by: "MSK." 8th Sep 2014

Sounds like you're cutting off your nose to spite your face!

If you're so hellbent on not using your card there there is a 3rd option.
go to poundland and buy a lightning cable there for £1

haritori

...Remember when Sony had everyones bank details? Remember last week how … ...Remember when Sony had everyones bank details? Remember last week how Apple iCloud was Hacked? I am not paranoid just cautious. and don't get me started on Apple's warranty being 12 months when they have to legally offer 24!

moneysavingkitten

Yep. The whole Sony debacle was painful. They were the only company I … Yep. The whole Sony debacle was painful. They were the only company I had trusted with saving my card details and they made a fool out of me. Never save them now and usually pay Sony with phone credit...

There was never a need to save your card payment details with Sony Computer Entertainment.

It was a prompt that you confirmed positively.

Yes, your details were placed at risk due to their inadequate security, but you opted to store them outside of your control.

Add to the list of those that have been careless with your card details: Play.com, Shopto.net, Betfair.com, & Pizza Hut's Australian site, Home Depot in the US, as well as many other examples that you may have missed.

haritori

...Remember when Sony had everyones bank details? Remember last week how … ...Remember when Sony had everyones bank details? Remember last week how Apple iCloud was Hacked? I am not paranoid just cautious. and don't get me started on Apple's warranty being 12 months when they have to legally offer 24!

moneysavingkitten

Yep. The whole Sony debacle was painful. They were the only company I … Yep. The whole Sony debacle was painful. They were the only company I had trusted with saving my card details and they made a fool out of me. Never save them now and usually pay Sony with phone credit...

I know I stored them outside of my control and that I didn't have to store them. That's why I say they made a fool of me. They were the only company I made an exception for and I regretting it deeply. I won't be doing that again.

haritori

Its not that i do not agree in them charging me and then refunding, i … Its not that i do not agree in them charging me and then refunding, i could just buy an apple cable and do that.also other sites only store details if you agree, Apple seem to think they are above all that.. and i do not trust their security after recent events.I've bought a few 3rd party cables now as well, so stuff em.. ill just claim through amazon in future.

I thought your Amazon account got banned - did you manage to make a new one?

op imo your making a mountain out of a molehill they dont actually charge your card only debit cards, they have never charged my amex and had the same problem with a lightning cable all sorted within a few days

Original Poster

Transformers

I thought your Amazon account got banned - did you manage to make a new … I thought your Amazon account got banned - did you manage to make a new one?

Yes I moved address since, so its not a problem. (will never store credit with them again though).

fanpages

There was never a need to save your card payment details with Sony … There was never a need to save your card payment details with Sony Computer Entertainment.It was a prompt that you confirmed positively.Yes, your details were placed at risk due to their inadequate security, but you opted to store them outside of your control.Add to the list of those that have been careless with your card details: Play.com, Shopto.net, Betfair.com, & Pizza Hut's Australian site, Home Depot in the US, as well as many other examples that you may have missed.

Even more reason not to store details with these so called secure companies...

I've sent feedback, but i have since got a message from 'John' Senior Manager at Apple advising that they are now willing to send me a box to return the item and i can send it back first... and apparently have discussed the issue with my local Authorised service centre and they are now willing to take lightning cables.

so to all who think i was making something out of nothing, seems i got a result and when Apple gets hacked it wont be my details they have stored.

Apple wasn't hacked last week, it was a simple case of weak passwords etc wasn't it? (Please correct me if I'm wrong )
Furthermore, I know they do the charge on your card and then cancel, to cover their own backs. If they send you a replacement and then don't receive the old one back, they're out of pocket, as they've know way of knowing that you hadn't just lied, or the same scenario but it's been broken through your use.
I understand where you're coming from though re the point why can't you just send it in first, or why their lightning cables are so shoddily made

haritori

Exactly my point, It is not about affording it or having a card, its … Exactly my point, It is not about affording it or having a card, its about Apple's arrogance to charge me for a faulty product of theirs like i cannot be trusted, they give me no option of returning first.I am concerned how many people are willing to blindly give important details to Apple because they say so... Remember when Sony had everyones bank details? Remember last week how Apple iCloud was Hacked? I am not paranoid just cautious. and don't get me started on Apple's warranty being 12 months when they have to legally offer 24!

And unfortunately OP, that is incorrect. Apple are not legally obliged to give you 24 months warranty. Just thought you should know.

haritori

...so to all who think i was making something out of nothing, seems i got … ...so to all who think i was making something out of nothing, seems i got a result and when Apple gets hacked again it wont be my details they have stored.

Fixed (except in Italy for five hours).

spikeyjacko

Apple wasn't cracked last week, it was a simple case of shoddy security … Apple wasn't cracked last week, it was a simple case of shoddy security methodology etc wasn't it? (Please correct me if I'm wrong ) ...Furthermore,...as they've no way of knowing that you hadn't just lied, or the same scenario but it's been broken through your use...

Corrected.

PS. Apparently my comment needed vetting before appearing in this thread!
Edited by: "fanpages" 8th Sep 2014

Original Poster

Transformers

And unfortunately OP, that is incorrect. Apple are not legally obliged to … And unfortunately OP, that is incorrect. Apple are not legally obliged to give you 24 months warranty. Just thought you should know.

what about The European Directive 1999/44/EC says all EU countries have to ensure a retailer could be held liable for all "non-conformities" which manifest within two years from delivery.

Original Poster

spikeyjacko

Apple wasn't hacked last week, it was a simple case of weak passwords etc … Apple wasn't hacked last week, it was a simple case of weak passwords etc wasn't it? (Please correct me if I'm wrong )Furthermore, I know they do the charge on your card and then cancel, to cover their own backs. If they send you a replacement and then don't receive the old one back, they're out of pocket, as they've know way of knowing that you hadn't just lied, or the same scenario but it's been broken through your use.I understand where you're coming from though re the point why can't you just send it in first, or why their lightning cables are so shoddily made

Im not saying they were hacked or ever have been, but a security breach is a security breach, i have lost confidence in them. i now buy itunes, SEN, Microsoft cards, none of them get my card details, im not worried about money, the bank would cover me there, its other things that are difficult to fix, credit reports, ID theft etc

haritori

what about The European Directive 1999/44/EC says all EU countries have … what about The European Directive 1999/44/EC says all EU countries have to ensure a retailer could be held liable for all "non-conformities" which manifest within two years from delivery.

That 'Directive' is not related to warranty though. This article should clarify things......

blog.moneysavingexpert.com/201…th/

If you're still confused, I'll answer your questions afterwards.

Original Poster

Transformers

That 'Directive' is not related to warranty though. This article should … That 'Directive' is not related to warranty though. This article should clarify things......http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2010/12/13/the-eu-goods-must-last-a-minimum-two-years-rule-is-a-myth/If you're still confused, I'll answer your questions afterwards.

no im fine....

spikeyjacko

Apple wasn't hacked last week, it was a simple case of weak passwords etc … Apple wasn't hacked last week, it was a simple case of weak passwords etc wasn't it? (Please correct me if I'm wrong )Furthermore, I know they do the charge on your card and then cancel, to cover their own backs. If they send you a replacement and then don't receive the old one back, they're out of pocket, as they've know way of knowing that you hadn't just lied, or the same scenario but it's been broken through your use.I understand where you're coming from though re the point why can't you just send it in first, or why their lightning cables are so shoddily made

That's not quite true. It was a script that people downloaded to perform a brute force attack. Apple applied a patch to their system after that. If there wasn't anything wrong with their systems, they wouldn't have needed to patch anything. Also the fact that they allow their users to use such weak passwords in the first place says something about their attitude to data security.

That's a bit of a result about being able to return the cable first haritori, well done glad you've found a resolution
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions