Apply for premium bonds via post

Posted 26th JunEdited by:"ran123ran"
Does the postoffice have forms to apply for premium bonds? They used to years ago but not sure if thats still the case.

The NSI website does not have the form on site to download due to lockdown. I am enquiring for mums friend who does not want to do it online or phone application.
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
37 Comments
Does the person in question already have bonds? I went through the same process recently. Had bonds already but wanted to invest more, couldn’t do it because I didn’t have an account, just a bond number. If they already have bonds I can help you with the PDF form they’ll need to create an account.
I tried signing up using my nsi number but it wont let me, says I have to call up. I think its because my bonds were gifted to me when I was under 18.
Haz_1926/06/2020 14:58

I tried signing up using my nsi number but it wont let me, says I have to …I tried signing up using my nsi number but it wont let me, says I have to call up. I think its because my bonds were gifted to me when I was under 18.

Was this recently? I had exactly the same situation last week, you’ll call up and they’ll tell you that you need to fill out a form and send it to them. If you want that form let me know as I have it bookmarked.
She doesn't already have bonds. She is new to it all.
Kratos6926/06/2020 15:01

Was this recently? I had exactly the same situation last week, you’ll call …Was this recently? I had exactly the same situation last week, you’ll call up and they’ll tell you that you need to fill out a form and send it to them. If you want that form let me know as I have it bookmarked.

Ive sent a dm
ran123ran26/06/2020 15:01

She doesn't already have bonds. She is new to it all.

Ahhh I see, I know you said she doesn’t want to but online really is the easiest way, I’m unsure about application forms at post offices. Sorry mate. Hopefully she has a son/daughter/ someone trusted that can help her online.
the site won't allow downloading the forms because of covid 19, so i am guessing they don't have anyone to process the forms physically. this means even if you got a form from the post office, it won't be processed as there is no one doing it.

only the online facility is managed at the moment. if she insists on postal application, then she will need to wait until the service is back.
mutley126/06/2020 15:07

the site won't allow downloading the forms because of covid 19, so i am …the site won't allow downloading the forms because of covid 19, so i am guessing they don't have anyone to process the forms physically. this means even if you got a form from the post office, it won't be processed as there is no one doing it.only the online facility is managed at the moment. if she insists on postal application, then she will need to wait until the service is back.

Do you know for sure that they are all out of office? The lady on the phone told me that it would be processed by their team in the office as I don’t have an account with them?
Kratos6926/06/2020 17:06

Do you know for sure that they are all out of office? The lady on the …Do you know for sure that they are all out of office? The lady on the phone told me that it would be processed by their team in the office as I don’t have an account with them?

i don't know for sure, but it would be the only reason why they won't allow the form to be downloaded from the website as they know that if people did this, it won't be processed so they have stopped people downloading the form.
mutley126/06/2020 17:17

i don't know for sure, but it would be the only reason why they won't …i don't know for sure, but it would be the only reason why they won't allow the form to be downloaded from the website as they know that if people did this, it won't be processed so they have stopped people downloading the form.

Yeah you may well be right, I’m just thinking it’s a pretty big institution to just shutdown, guess we’ll see. Cheers.
Kratos6926/06/2020 17:18

Yeah you may well be right, I’m just thinking it’s a pretty big ins …Yeah you may well be right, I’m just thinking it’s a pretty big institution to just shutdown, guess we’ll see. Cheers.

i don't think they have closed. they have all worked from home as advised by the government. which means there is no one at the office to pick up the premium bond postal applications, process them and go to the bank to put in the cheques. in the current climate, they don't want to encourage people sending things through the post and sending them cheques which they will need to take down to the bank.

i bought premium bonds recently for myself and hubby and the online process was very simple so i can't see why you can't do it this way?
mutley126/06/2020 17:22

i don't think they have closed. they have all worked from home as advised …i don't think they have closed. they have all worked from home as advised by the government. which means there is no one at the office to pick up the premium bond postal applications, process them and go to the bank to put in the cheques. in the current climate, they don't want to encourage people sending things through the post and sending them cheques which they will need to take down to the bank.i bought premium bonds recently for myself and hubby and the online process was very simple so i can't see why you can't do it this way?

It’s odd I know, it’s basically because I already own bonds bought for me as a kid, I wanted to reinvest more money in them. Because I already own bonds I’m not classed as a new customer and can’t sign up online. It’s a very backward system, the woman on the phone told me I had to print off the form and post it off as I need to apply for a phone and internet account to invest more whereas at the moment all I can do is check to see if my existing bonds have won. Everytime I go to sign up online with my bond number it tells me to phone and when you phone that is the process they advise. It is very much a pain.
Kratos6926/06/2020 17:25

It’s odd I know, it’s basically because I already own bonds bought for me a …It’s odd I know, it’s basically because I already own bonds bought for me as a kid, I wanted to reinvest more money in them. Because I already own bonds I’m not classed as a new customer and can’t sign up online. It’s a very backward system, the woman on the phone told me I had to print off the form and post it off as I need to apply for a phone and internet account to invest more whereas at the moment all I can do is check to see if my existing bonds have won. Everytime I go to sign up online with my bond number it tells me to phone and when you phone that is the process they advise. It is very much a pain.

i see. that is very strange. i doubt that they would be able to process your postal application when they receive it as the system will reject the application in the same way that it had done when you tried to register online. they will need to do a manual change at their end, which will take time i am guessing.

if it were me, i would sell the old bonds and start again as they are problematic. as you got them when you were a child, have you won much on them?
mutley126/06/2020 17:30

i see. that is very strange. i doubt that they would be able to process …i see. that is very strange. i doubt that they would be able to process your postal application when they receive it as the system will reject the application in the same way that it had done when you tried to register online. they will need to do a manual change at their end, which will take time i am guessing.if it were me, i would sell the old bonds and start again as they are problematic. as you got them when you were a child, have you won much on them?

I hadent even thought of doing that, that is a very good idea! Honestly the amount I have at the moment is menial, I think I’ve won £20 once lol! I may look into your idea more as I want to get my account open as soon as possible.
mutley126/06/2020 17:30

i see. that is very strange. i doubt that they would be able to process …i see. that is very strange. i doubt that they would be able to process your postal application when they receive it as the system will reject the application in the same way that it had done when you tried to register online. they will need to do a manual change at their end, which will take time i am guessing.if it were me, i would sell the old bonds and start again as they are problematic. as you got them when you were a child, have you won much on them?

Just checked, I can’t even sell the ones I have without registering and registering is what I’m having trouble with
Kratos6926/06/2020 17:51

Just checked, I can’t even sell the ones I have without registering and r …Just checked, I can’t even sell the ones I have without registering and registering is what I’m having trouble with

lol. they are obviously duds so best get rid of them

it sounds like your account has been locked for whatever reason so it can't go through their automated system. i think you have a problem with the account itself, which needs to be resolved. it may take a while to do if there is no one manning the office or less staff around but it would appear that needs to be sorted out first.

you could send in the postal application as they have advised and wait to see what happens. i would also write to them and explain the issue and include that with the application so they can get someone to look into it for you.
mutley126/06/2020 17:57

lol. they are obviously duds so best get rid of them it sounds …lol. they are obviously duds so best get rid of them it sounds like your account has been locked for whatever reason so it can't go through their automated system. i think you have a problem with the account itself, which needs to be resolved. it may take a while to do if there is no one manning the office or less staff around but it would appear that needs to be sorted out first.you could send in the postal application as they have advised and wait to see what happens. i would also write to them and explain the issue and include that with the application so they can get someone to look into it for you.

Thanks for your help, I sent off the application last Friday so who knows, it still may be going through, I may try again later to register online and see if it wasn’t just the computer their end being stupid last time. I’ll update if it works
Kratos6926/06/2020 17:58

Thanks for your help, I sent off the application last Friday so who knows, …Thanks for your help, I sent off the application last Friday so who knows, it still may be going through, I may try again later to register online and see if it wasn’t just the computer their end being stupid last time. I’ll update if it works

Thanks for that form, 2 months later I got my login details. I still had to call up to set up security questions but I got there in the end
Haz_1920/08/2020 13:55

Thanks for that form, 2 months later I got my login details. I still had …Thanks for that form, 2 months later I got my login details. I still had to call up to set up security questions but I got there in the end

Haha mine came through about 3 weeks ago! Just got to put the funds in there now! Thanks for remembering and saying thanks lol!
Kratos6920/08/2020 13:57

Haha mine came through about 3 weeks ago! Just got to put the funds in …Haha mine came through about 3 weeks ago! Just got to put the funds in there now! Thanks for remembering and saying thanks lol!

well i already shoved a ton of money into the premium bonds and entered the draw this month for the first time, and guess what?.....

I won
mutley120/08/2020 13:59

well i already shoved a ton of money into the premium bonds and entered …well i already shoved a ton of money into the premium bonds and entered the draw this month for the first time, and guess what?.....I won

WOW! Congrats, I mean if my £100 bond won me £25 then anything is possible lol

well i already shoved a ton of money into the premium bonds and entered …well i already shoved a ton of money into the premium bonds and entered the draw this month for the first time, and guess what?.....I won

Well done! I’m planning on next months with a nice chunk!

lol

Thats good going winning prize in your first draw.
ran123ran20/08/2020 16:13

Thats good going winning prize in your first draw.

because interest rates are so low now, you might as well stick the money under the mattress. therefore putting the money into premium bonds is not a bad savings choice at the moment, and you could always win big

me and hubby are competing with each other as he has also put money into the premium bonds at the same time as me, and we both expect to win something every month really.

he has won a lot more than me so i am gutted as i am the lucky one and he is the unlucky one between the two of us. i am hoping that my luck will come through next month and i win more than him

it is providing a bit of entertainment for us, to compete with one another and to see if we have won anything each month. let's hope this is not a one horse wonder.
mutley120/08/2020 17:11

because interest rates are so low now, you might as well stick the money …because interest rates are so low now, you might as well stick the money under the mattress. therefore putting the money into premium bonds is not a bad savings choice at the moment, and you could always win big me and hubby are competing with each other as he has also put money into the premium bonds at the same time as me, and we both expect to win something every month really.he has won a lot more than me so i am gutted as i am the lucky one and he is the unlucky one between the two of us. i am hoping that my luck will come through next month and i win more than him it is providing a bit of entertainment for us, to compete with one another and to see if we have won anything each month. let's hope this is not a one horse wonder.

The most I ever won was £50 but not got lucky this year.

lol
ran123ran20/08/2020 18:32

The most I ever won was £50 but not got lucky this year.

i had premium bonds when i was a kid and i won quite a lot of money in the first year but then i never won anything again so i lost interest and cashed the money in.

hubby had a lot of money invested with premium bonds many years ago and he won quite a lot of money but later on, he found a better home for the money. however as the interest rates are so low these days, he has decided to put the money into premium bonds (or rather, i persuaded him to do it :))

so fingers crossed, we will win the prizes soon before we get bored with it
mutley120/08/2020 19:30

i had premium bonds when i was a kid and i won quite a lot of money in the …i had premium bonds when i was a kid and i won quite a lot of money in the first year but then i never won anything again so i lost interest and cashed the money in.hubby had a lot of money invested with premium bonds many years ago and he won quite a lot of money but later on, he found a better home for the money. however as the interest rates are so low these days, he has decided to put the money into premium bonds (or rather, i persuaded him to do it :))so fingers crossed, we will win the prizes soon before we get bored with it

Did u win decent prizes?
ran123ran20/08/2020 19:32

Did u win decent prizes?

yes. i won around £500 in the first year. this was significant, considering i had only put in £200.
mutley120/08/2020 19:56

yes. i won around £500 in the first year. this was significant, …yes. i won around £500 in the first year. this was significant, considering i had only put in £200.

Wow, that would have encouraged me to get more.
ran123ran20/08/2020 20:24

Wow, that would have encouraged me to get more.

£200 was a lot of money to me as i was about 16 at the time i think, so winning £500 was like winning the lottery, lol

but i didn't win anything the second year, so i thought this was no good, lol and so cashed it in. strangely, even though i had cashed it in, i still won £50! i thought they were trying to get me back by giving me the prize, so i didn't do as i thought it was a trap

i was told apparently your number still goes into the draw the month after you cash it in? otherwise, i can't think how i could have won when i had already cashed it in.
mutley120/08/2020 21:21

£200 was a lot of money to me as i was about 16 at the time i think, so …£200 was a lot of money to me as i was about 16 at the time i think, so winning £500 was like winning the lottery, lol but i didn't win anything the second year, so i thought this was no good, lol and so cashed it in. strangely, even though i had cashed it in, i still won £50! i thought they were trying to get me back by giving me the prize, so i didn't do as i thought it was a trap i was told apparently your number still goes into the draw the month after you cash it in? otherwise, i can't think how i could have won when i had already cashed it in.

You should have kept them, they sound like they were lucky numbers. £500 prize still a lot of money now!
ran123ran20/08/2020 21:41

You should have kept them, they sound like they were lucky numbers. £500 …You should have kept them, they sound like they were lucky numbers. £500 prize still a lot of money now!

i should have, now thinking about it. they were lucky numbers alright as even when i closed the account, they still won, lol

i am hoping my luck will come back
Can they buy them online? The deadline is the end of the month so might be cutting it close with posting it, if they miss that they won't be entered until November, which is a long time to wait/have the money doing nothing.

I've won 6x £25 so far this year
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 21st Aug
She has them now, her daughter helped her buy them online end of June....she is so pleased as she won £25 and insisted my mum call me to let me know.
Post a comment
@
    Text