UPDATED: Applying for a credit card - please see picture

Posted 19th Nov
I want to apply for a credit card so that I've got that extra layer of protection when making larger purchases and also to improve my credit rating.

I want a basic fuss free one that I can pay off straight away, with no complications and buyer protection.

I've just been through the NatWest eligibility checker and it's brought up 3 results. I have absolutely no idea what they mean.

Can someone tell me if any of these 3 suit my purpose? Thank you

3334673.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
I’d go with the second one due to it having the lowest APR just in case you don’t pay your bills when required to for whatever reason. It looks like a basic credit card with no extras which seems to be what your after so I think.
Edited by: "SerpentSuicide" 19th Nov
SerpentSuicide19/11/2019 00:22

I’d go with the second one due to it having the lowest APR just in case y …I’d go with the second one due to it having the lowest APR just in case you don’t pay your bills when required to for whatever reason. It looks like a basic credit card with no extras which seems to be what your after so I think.

So that 9.9% interest would apply if I didn't pay the amount off in time, otherwise there's no interest. Is that right?
notalwaysright1919/11/2019 00:29

So that 9.9% interest would apply if I didn't pay the amount off in time, …So that 9.9% interest would apply if I didn't pay the amount off in time, otherwise there's no interest. Is that right?

you wouldnt pay any interest with any of them if you paid them off each month
notalwaysright1919/11/2019 00:29

So that 9.9% interest would apply if I didn't pay the amount off in time, …So that 9.9% interest would apply if I didn't pay the amount off in time, otherwise there's no interest. Is that right?

Yes, if you don't pay your bill off in full, they charge you whatever APR is stated.

I assume you are looking at Natwest Credit Cards because you bank with them?

You are better off going on MSE or compare the market, etc and getting the lowest rate and/or most suitable Credit Card for you, which can be from any company. E.g. if you travel abroad, you can get a 0% commission on foreign currency transactions credit card. If you want airmiles or cashback when making purchases, get one of those.

Loads of good info here
Edited by: "jambone" 19th Nov
Personally I would have gone for the bottom one assuming there is no monthly fee for it, as if paying off every month then it doesn't matter what the interest rate is, as it will never get applied. Plus it sounds like you get rewarded for using it (only good if you keep in control your spending)

However, the fact that you want a basic no frills account then yeah go for the middle one.
jambone19/11/2019 01:14

Yes, if you don't pay your bill off in full, they charge you whatever APR …Yes, if you don't pay your bill off in full, they charge you whatever APR is stated.I assume you are looking at Natwest Credit Cards because you bank with them? You are better off going on MSE or compare the market, etc and getting the lowest rate and/or most suitable Credit Card for you, which can be from any company. E.g. if you travel abroad, you can get a 0% commission on foreign currency transactions credit card. If you want airmiles or cashback when making purchases, get one of those.Loads of good info here

Yes, I'm looking at NatWest credit cards because I bank with them so it's easier to manage everything in one place and from within my app.

The Natwest Credit Card opening statement says:

"With no foreign transaction fees and a low rate on purchases, The NatWest Credit Card....."

The no foreign transaction fee part does that mean that if I was to go abroad and use it to buy anything I won't get charged any fees?
If you are absolutely going to be paying it off in full each month go for a reward card. I have a card with Tandem and get 0.5% back on all purchases. No reason to stick with Natwest just because you bank with them, if you get a card from someone else, you just give them your bank details and they setup a direct debit and its all done for you.
If for any reason you dont think you'll pay it all off each month then throw all ideas of rewards out of the window and go for the lowest APR. As soon as you don't pay of a card you've ruined all the rewards you've built up for some time.
notalwaysright1919/11/2019 07:53

Yes, I'm looking at NatWest credit cards because I bank with them so it's …Yes, I'm looking at NatWest credit cards because I bank with them so it's easier to manage everything in one place and from within my app. The Natwest Credit Card opening statement says: "With no foreign transaction fees and a low rate on purchases, The NatWest Credit Card....."The no foreign transaction fee part does that mean that if I was to go abroad and use it to buy anything I won't get charged any fees?

If you want a card you can use abroad go for the Halifax Clarity card or Resolut card. As stated above, just because you bank with Natwest there is no reason to get a Natwest credit card.
MIDURIX19/11/2019 07:56

If you want a card you can use abroad go for the Halifax Clarity card or …If you want a card you can use abroad go for the Halifax Clarity card or Resolut card. As stated above, just because you bank with Natwest there is no reason to get a Natwest credit card.

As I'm on a low income I don't qualify for most credit cards. With the Halifax clarity card I need to be earning £10,000 a year I believe which I don't unfortunately. With the NatWest ones it says in my app that I would be able to get those three cards based on my financial history so a better chance of getting it.
notalwaysright1919/11/2019 08:01

As I'm on a low income I don't qualify for most credit cards. With the …As I'm on a low income I don't qualify for most credit cards. With the Halifax clarity card I need to be earning £10,000 a year I believe which I don't unfortunately. With the NatWest ones it says in my app that I would be able to get those three cards based on my financial history so a better chance of getting it.

I would stick with the Natwest Rewards one then.
@SerpentSuicide@jamstaruk1972@jambone@Bob24601@MIDURIX

Just wanted to thank you all for taking the time to respond. Your responses have helped increase my 0% knowledge on credit cards and has helped me with my decision.
Very much appreciated
MIDURIX19/11/2019 08:06

I would stick with the Natwest Rewards one then.

Thank you
Get the 2nd one, 9.9apr...
It's the first time I've been approved for a credit card. I feel very grown up now.

As mentioned above, I'm getting a credit card to build my credit score and for added security when making purchases.

Just needed to ask - if anyone can answer these for me please:

1. Building the credit score

Say I do my weekly shop and pay using my credit card. Later that night I pay it off. Will that be ok? Or do I have to wait for some time before I pay it off in order for it to register as borrowed then paid off. Does that make any sense?

2. Can I use my credit card for everything? Just like I use my debit card?

3. How do I qualify for credit card protection? Is there a minimum amount that has to be spent before I can qualify and for how long does the protection last?

4. Last of all, am I protected for purchases from overseas eg gearbest etc?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions