Approx price for small plumbing job?

Posted 13th Sep
Bashed a copper radiator tail which is causing a small drip from a soldered fitting. Pipe needs cutting and a new piece of 10mm pipe approx 10cm long plus an elbow and reducer. Ground floor so combi system needs draining and filling up again with new inhibitor. Small house with 4 radiators. Prob 30mins work on site.

Anyone in the know have a guess on price for a plumber to sort?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
30 mins might be optimistic if the system needs draining, refilling and testing.
15 Comments
30 mins might be optimistic if the system needs draining, refilling and testing.
I would just ring a plumber. Asking for prices on here won't change what the plumber wants.
Probably about £100 for plumber.

To do yourself if you have the tools about £5-10.
Anyone whos had a similar job done, ie up to an hour of a plumbers time, have an idea on labour price?
Here in London -approximately £80 an hour plus parts. If they’re only there for 45 minutes, they’ll still charge the £80.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 13th Sep
Drain the system yourself, save some money there.

I moved a radiator a few months back, first time I did any plumbing and took me a few hours but just wanted to make sure it was done correctly so there are no leaks.

Used copper speedfit for the job, why don't you try do it yourself?
Try Youtube to see if they are any instructional videos.
There's a method that involves freezing the water in the pipe, so that the system needn't be drained, could make the job very quick and tidy
esar13/09/2019 20:21

There's a method that involves freezing the water in the pipe, so that the …There's a method that involves freezing the water in the pipe, so that the system needn't be drained, could make the job very quick and tidy

Of you go this route, I can recommend this from Screwfix. Get the kit for £16.99 which includes a 500gm tin and pads... or for £1 more you can get the can on its own (why would you?). Very easy to use.
£50 is cheap, £120 expensive.
I am a plumber and I can tell you now, no one will drain down, refil for less than £70. Freeze it and use tectite fittings. Will cost you no more than £30 in bits
Another bone question already, depends what area you live for price and every plumber will have a different price for the job. It doesn’t matter if one person on here said £50 and another said £200 till you get someone to look at it you won’t get a proper price..
willllllllll13/09/2019 19:38

Anyone whos had a similar job done, ie up to an hour of a plumbers time, …Anyone whos had a similar job done, ie up to an hour of a plumbers time, have an idea on labour price?

depends where you live prices will vary wildly across the UK and in different areas of cities.Also depends if you want a decent plumber or just a jack of all trades.
Telling a plumber ‘it’s 30 minutes work max’ will probably put their back up and they won’t be interested in working for you. I certainly wouldn’t.

If it’s simply draining down the system and filling back up. Why don’t you do it?
Just to also say by the time you have paid a plumber you can actually buy all the tools you need if you don’t have them and always keep a small piece of copper pipe and some joints in the house (loft or cupboard). If your not confident get the joints with solder already in them from b&q. You just use flux and heat them. To get the old joints off just heat it the use a screw driver to move it carefully.

I honestly can’t believe how lazy my generation are!!!
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 14th Sep
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants