'Arc' Connection on TVs

Found 25th Dec 2017
I have a Sony Soundstage which connects to my Sony Bravia via an Arc connection.

I want to replace my TV so will I need another TV with an arc capable HDMI? I want to make use of the HDMI ports on my Soundstage.

Thks
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
Sorry I don't know.

Oh this isn't Amazon is it....

Will probably work with a normal HDMI but with reduced functionality. Why not try plugging it into a normal HDMI on your current TV and see what happens?
Need to read the info on models or model ranges, just checked the cheap Bush from Argos and that supports ARC, according to the PDF manual.

Doesn't seem to be a feature that they bother to mention that much in feature lists, not sure if that's because it's common
The Arc socket allows me to then use the 4 HDMI ports on the back of the soundstage to connect more devices to my TV though.

So I have a HDMI cable from TV, to the Arc HDMI socket on the soundstage. I then plug games consoles directly into the soundstage instead of the tv and I can just select which source to view by selecting the relevant input on the soundstage.

The soundstage basically acts as a digital HDMI switcher too.

I thought this was all arc? I guess I wouldn't be able to use my soundstage without an arc tv?
Edited by: "superfreddy" 25th Dec 2017
I think the ARC allows you to play the sound coming from the TV (or things plugged into it) on your sound stage. As I understand it, everything in your setup is going "up" to the tv so any hdmi port will do. If you have more things plugged direct to the tv and want them to output via sound stage then you do need ARC
CatsWithThumbs16 m ago

I think the ARC allows you to play the sound coming from the TV (or things …I think the ARC allows you to play the sound coming from the TV (or things plugged into it) on your sound stage. As I understand it, everything in your setup is going "up" to the tv so any hdmi port will do. If you have more things plugged direct to the tv and want them to output via sound stage then you do need ARC

Thanks, I have found an LG I want which has ARC so presumeably it'll do the same as my Sony TV.
ARC is the reverse connection, allowing the TV to send broadcast or other audio from the TV to the sound devioce, as an alternative to an optical (Toslink) connection.

So without ARC, the TV's own audio would not go to the soundstage.
Ah, ARC appears to be a standard feature in HDMI 1.4, maybe that's why it doesn't get mentioned specifically
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions