Architect Design

Found 13th JulEdited by:"adamnsu"
Hi Guys.

Bought a new house recently and want to do extensions. Was wondering if there is a forum or a website I can visit to get some designs done and some architectural advice.

We have requested the council to gives us plans for certain properties in the area.

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
I don’t know of any planning forums or website to look at, but if you go onto your local council’s website and do a planning application search either by specific address, postcode or ward it should give you all the planning applications (in progress and decided). If you can determine houses similar to yours you can look at the application drawings online. Make a note of any architects that have done the plans and contact them to give you advice and suggestions.
Take screen shots of different extensions and then see if you can use them as ideas for what you’re after.
Toptrumpet40 m ago

I don’t know of any planning forums or website to look at, but if you go o …I don’t know of any planning forums or website to look at, but if you go onto your local council’s website and do a planning application search either by specific address, postcode or ward it should give you all the planning applications (in progress and decided). If you can determine houses similar to yours you can look at the application drawings online. Make a note of any architects that have done the plans and contact them to give you advice and suggestions.Take screen shots of different extensions and then see if you can use them as ideas for what you’re after.

You have summed up all that we have been doing so far . Was trying to see were there any avenues I might have missed.
Just spend an afternoon/evening kerb crawling around the neighbourhood trying to spot houses that have extensions. If your immediate neighbours have extensions then try and keep in keeping with theirs. (Eg if they’ve both come out say 3.2m then don’t submit plans for 4.5m as the local authorities will prefer that yours be in keeping with the rest of the street scene). Also don’t be too adventurous in what you submit ie Juliet balconied windows as the neighbours will be more likely to object if they think they’ll be overlooked.
Toptrumpet5 m ago

Just spend an afternoon/evening kerb crawling around the neighbourhood …Just spend an afternoon/evening kerb crawling around the neighbourhood trying to spot houses that have extensions. If your immediate neighbours have extensions then try and keep in keeping with theirs. (Eg if they’ve both come out say 3.2m then don’t submit plans for 4.5m as the local authorities will prefer that yours be in keeping with the rest of the street scene). Also don’t be too adventurous in what you submit ie Juliet balconied windows as the neighbours will be more likely to object if they think they’ll be overlooked.

Thanks for the advice. Fingers crossed our neighbours arent difficult. They seem to be nice.

On one side a neighbour did a full extension of their side the one which is not apart of our semi detached(ie didnt keep a side entrance or access to the garden). I heard new laws dont allow Councils to permit such extensions anymore. We were hoping to use some of our side entrance but may not be able to do so.
Your local authority might charge you to have a 20 minute meeting with a planning officer, but it might be worthwhile before formally submitting plans. Just try and see if one architects name keeps popping up as that may also save you time in deciding who to engage.
Coincidentally we found out about the planning officer visit yesterday. We have a couple of meeting with some architects in the weekend. One of them is used among our family circle. Lets see
Just to add it’s better to look at recent ones that have been approved and stick with those design restrictions as older designs may have been approved under different rules which would be rejected now. Good luck!
cmdr_elito13th Jul

Just to add it’s better to look at recent ones that have been approved and …Just to add it’s better to look at recent ones that have been approved and stick with those design restrictions as older designs may have been approved under different rules which would be rejected now. Good luck!

Yes you are quite right! So many rule changes, that it makes me feel to get renovations done now than later.

Also different Councils differ too from what I have heard. For example our road falls under 1 Council which is known to be quite strict, whereas a couple of roads down from where we live falls in another Council which is known to be extremly relaxed!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants