Found 25th Oct 2008
Hi

Dont suppose anyone on here owns an Archos 5 portable media player?

Im considering buying one but Archos's website doesnt explain very well how you charge the unit whilst on the move, hence im a bit wary about buying it unless you can only charge it via the USB port on a laptop and im hoping you can buy an accessory to charge it from a standard plug socket or another method.

Also any information on how easy it is to transfer movies from DVD's on to the Archos 5 would be superb

Any information would be much appreciated before i purchase.

Thanks in advance

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
4 Comments

Banned

Yes you can charge via the USB port. (Its the only way apart from mains via the docking station.)

So yes, a laptop, car or mains USB adapter will do the trick for you.

Transfering movies on DVD? Hmmm. First you would have to rip them (dvd shrink is probably as good a choice as any - and free.) Then re-encode to the size you want. I've got numerous that will do this - but not sure if they are free. (I didnt pay for them ) Generally I just download them. Much quicker!

Original Poster

guv;3287900
Yes you can charge via the USB port. (Its the only way apart from mains via the docking station.)

So yes, a laptop, car or mains USB adapter will do the trick for you.

Transfering movies on DVD? Hmmm. First you would have to rip them (dvd shrink is probably as good a choice as any - and free.) Then re-encode to the size you want. I've got numerous that will do this - but not sure if they are free. (I didnt pay for them ) Generally I just download them. Much quicker!

Thanks, im hoping to be able to charge the unit when im abroad and wont have a laptop with me or indeed a car and just not sure if I need to buy anything else from archos to be able to keep it charged?

As Guv says, you can charge from any USB port, be it one on a laptop or one on a USB wall charger. Be warned though, charging the batteries via USB takes an absolute age, one of the reasons my 605 went back for a refund.

Original Poster

dxx;3287965

As Guv says, you can charge from any USB port, be it one on a laptop or … As Guv says, you can charge from any USB port, be it one on a laptop or one on a USB wall charger. Be warned though, charging the batteries via USB takes an absolute age, one of the reasons my 605 went back for a refund.

Yeah previous reviews of the 605 stopped me getting it but this new archos 5 looks better however maybe I should just stick to apple and get an ipod touch
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA49
    2. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604817
    3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247640
    4. Wow apple you really are bad1623

See more discussions