Original Poster

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/archos-80-titanium.jpg

** Archos 80 Titanium Specifications **
* Processor: RK3066 ARM Cortex A9 1.60GHz Dual-Core
* Graphics: Quad Core Mali 400 3D Hardware Acceleration
* Display Screen: 8" 1024x768 IPS LED Backlit screen
* Operating System: Andoid Jellybean 4.1 /w Playstore
* Memory: 1GB DDR3
* Storage: 8GB NAND Flash (Upgradable to 64GB /w SD Card)
* Camera: 2MP back, VGA camera in front
* BBC Iplayer / Netflix compatible
* Memory Card: Micro-SD (Support upto 64GB)
* G-Sensor: Yes
* WiFi: IEEE 802.11b/g/n 2.40GHz wireless network
* Touch: 10 points Capacitive screen
* Ports: Charger Port, Mini-HDMI Output, earphone jack
* Battery: 5000maH / 3.7v (estimated 8-10hrs)
* Dimensions: 200mm x 154mm x 9.9mm (440grams)
* NO GPS, NO Bluetooth, NO 3G/Simcard slot

** In the box **
* Archos 80 Titanium tablet
* Micro USB cable
* Charger with 3 types of socket pins
* Manuals

http://i.pcworld.fr/1269001-test-archos-80-titanium-4.jpg

Click here for official product page from Archos.
Click here for the HUKD deal started by Jelavic18 (£99 at carphone warehouse)
Click here for a full list of best free Android apps. - Thanks to Garion

** How to register your tablet **
Go to the Archos website > create an account > log in to your account > add a device. The serial number is the one that starts with 'YT' which can be found on label outside the box.

** How to get Flash (no rooting required) **
Download and install this file and use a browser like Dolphin to see flash content from websites. This will allow you to watch videos on websites.

** How to find missing apps (no rooting required) **
If you can't find apps you need from the Play store, you may Google the app name followed by APK to find the installation file. Make sure you allow side loading of apps by going to Settings > Security > Unknown sources > allow installation on non-market apps. You can also use another App store like Amazon Appstore. WARNING: Install anti-malware apps like Avast to protect your tablet from viruses/malware specially if you download apps from unknown sources.

Some apps don't appear on the Play store because it may not support the screen resolution, processor, or it does not recognise the device you are using. This does not mean they will not work on the tablet. You just need to find the installers on other places as instructed above. Please note that not all apps will work on the tablet even if installers are found due to mentioned incompatibilities. It is best to test each app individually.

** How to take a screnshot (no rooting required) **
Press and hold power button and volume down button.

** How to transfer music/photos/videos/etc to the tablet **
Go to Settings > storage > tap 3 dots on upper right corner > USB computer connection > tick MTP device. Jeallybean is known to disable the Mass USB device option but the MTP option will make your tablet act as an external hard drive when you connect it to your PC via USB cable after automatically installing drivers. Make sure you have the USB debugging off by going into Settings > Developer options > Untick USB debugging.The tablet will appear as removable drive in the PC and you can transfer files as you would with a regular flash drive. Make sure to finish file transfers before unplugging the tablet to avoid data loss.

You may also use Airdroid for small files to transfer wirelessly. Just open the app and open web.airdroid.com/ in your PC's browser. Enter the code or use the tablet's camera to scan the QR code on the PC screen to connect automatically. To access external SD card, go to Files > System > mnt > external_sd (Close the warning).

** How to root the tablet ** - thanks to Arctablet News
Here's a link for the forum on this topic. Most people specially those new to Android do not need this feature as it involves a bit of reading and danger of damaging the tablet. Try at your own risk. If you don't know what root is, you probably don't need it.

1. Download and unzip this file and this file.
2. Turn off the tablet. While pressing both the volume down and power button, connect the tablet to the PC via USB cable.
3. The PC will recognise the device. Use the drivers provided in the Rockchip_Batch_Tool_v1.5.zip when asked.
4. Run RKBatchTool application as administrator. If a green square lights up in the program it means its recognise the tablet.
5. Click the button next to FW Path and point to the update.img file from kasty-titanium80-41-test1.zip.
6. Click Upgrade. This process will take several minutes and the tablet will reboot.

Make sure the tablet is charged before attempting this. You should have SuperUser app to confirm if you're successful. I have done this on a Windows 7 32bit laptop and tried different USB ports. Some users say plugging in the power cable when plugging in the USB cable helps.

Here's a video on how to do it.

** How to update the firmware manually ** - will remove root
Download latest firmware here. Do NOT unzip. Save it to the root (outside any folders) of the internal memory. Unplug tablet from PC. An update message will pop up. Continue update.

** How to get better battery life (rooting required for calibrating) **
Fully drain the battery (until turns off by itself) and then charge it overnight. If your tablet is rooted, use this app to calibrate it (open the app while still plugged in). You may do this several times to get best results.

** Accessories **
Accessories like screen protectors, cases, and cables now available on eBay: click here

To connect flash drive, external hard drives, mouse, keyboard, gamepad, etc. You will need a USB OTG cable like this one. Just plug it in the micro USB port on the tablet, no installers necessary except for gamepads that may need mapping apps.

Please like this comment so it would stay on top the 1st page and everyone can find it easily. Thanks
Edited by: "gx3k" 8th Jun 2013

Original Poster

**Note that most reviews of this product was made when the price was £130 (it's now only £99 at Carphone Warehouse)**

Click here for a review of the Archos 80 tablet
Click here for a video review
Click here for user reviews

** Advantages over the Archos Cobalt 80 **

+ Screen is much better - no discoloration and artifacts, excellent viewing angles
+ Great build quality - no ripples when pressed, noticably slimmer and lighter
+ Better rear camera - 2mp (not great but better than VGA from Cobalt)
+ Better touch sensitivity - the Cobalt has problems when I use swype keyboard (it breaks continuity)
+ Better default apps - Archos video player, Archos music player, Archos remote, better file explorer
+ Bigger usable space for apps (6.3Gb)
+ Speakers are louder
+ Jellybean
+ HDMI out
+ No software issues (wifi on/off, youtube stopping, stuck icons, audio sync etc)

** Known issues **
- Wifi is weaker than cobalt (update on first start-up fixes this) - read wifi comparison below
- Wrong aspect ratio when connected via HDMI (using MXplayer in stretch mode will help in playing videos)

** Camera Quality **

http://cdn3.pcadvisor.co.uk/cmsdata/reviews/3428801/Archos-80-Titanium-St-pancras.jpg

[img]i.imgur.com/rpd…jpg?2[/img]

** Wifi Reception Comparison **
I am using a rooted Archos 80 Titanium without the firmware update (you'll have this at first start up of the tablet or do it manually - instructions on post #1). Personally, I think the wifi is okay on the Titanium but it depends on the type of router, ISP service, router placement, house layout (walls and furnitures affect wifi reception) you have. I also think the aluminium metal case of the Titanium (vs plastic cases in other tablets/smartphones) make receiving wifi signal difficult. Having 1 bar less of reception doesn't necessarily mean you are getting slower speeds. If you want better reception, you can use a wifi extender/repeater/amplifier like this one.

Click here for tips in getting better wifi signal in your home

http://i.imgur.com/q9qZU9p.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3dXUP78.jpg

Please like this comment so it would stay on top the 1st page and everyone can find it easily. Thanks
Edited by: "gx3k" 26th Apr 2013

Original Poster

Reserved for extras

Original Poster

SUMMONER

Is it any good then?

Just got it a few hours ago, will do some testing and report back tomorrow.
Edited by: "gx3k" 1st Apr 2013

hi, does iplayer work if you scan forward and backwards, does it stay in sync with the audio once you play it again?

does itv player work as it should?

these sorts of services are mainly what i use my tablet for and obviously the cobalt suffers from these issues..
Edited by: "DudeyGeeza" 2nd Apr 2013

Original Poster

DudeyGeeza

hi, does iplayer work if you scan forward and backwards, does it stay in … hi, does iplayer work if you scan forward and backwards, does it stay in sync with the audio once you play it again?does itv player work as it should?these sorts of services are mainly what i use my tablet for and obviously the cobalt suffers from these issues..

Just tried ITV player and it works fine. Tried scanning forward/backward and the audio is still in sync
Edited by: "gx3k" 2nd Apr 2013

gx3k

Just tried ITV player and it works fine. Tried scanning forward/backward … Just tried ITV player and it works fine. Tried scanning forward/backward and the audio is still in sync

and bbc iplayer?

also, can you move games to the SD (internal memory named SD)

Can you move games to an actual micro SD?

then reboot and they still work?

what is the internal apps space partition?
Edited by: "DudeyGeeza" 2nd Apr 2013

Original Poster

DudeyGeeza

and bbc iplayer?

Tried the BBC Iplayer app but it's not supported so I tried the site using dolphin browser and it works great. Audio is in sync when scanning forward/backward even when viewing in HD mode (tried Dr. Who). Scanning forward/backward in full screen mode sometimes gets the picture stuck but it corrects itself when you go out of full screen mode and back again.

Also tried 4od app but all program says 'content not available' so tried the browser version and it also doesn't load content so must be server problem at their end

Here's the screenshot of the apps section of the settings and it shows a total of 6.3Gb for apps. I tried moving to SD card but it seems like it doesn't to anything like in the cobalt. I think it's just moving it to internal SD rather than the external SD.

http://i.imgur.com/VpB2bCn.png

thanks for doing that, shame a micro sd doesnt add to the apps space still, do apps you have moved to the internal sd still work properly after you have rebooted the device / powered off and on?

im not sure i'm willing to pay double what the cobalt was but it's interesting all the same..

Original Poster

DudeyGeeza

thanks for doing that, shame a micro sd doesnt add to the apps space … thanks for doing that, shame a micro sd doesnt add to the apps space still, do apps you have moved to the internal sd still work properly after you have rebooted the device / powered off and on?im not sure i'm willing to pay double what the cobalt was but it's interesting all the same..

Apps moved to internal Sd works fine after reboot but there's no point as the storage stays the same. The Archos cobalt at £49 is unbeatable in value but for new buyers it's priced the same as the Titanium so there's no contest. I hope someone would port the Jellybean from Titanium to Cobalt

so is the wifi performance dodgy on these?

Original Poster

beastman

so is the wifi performance dodgy on these?

Wifi initially is a bit weak but a firmware update is supposed to fix this when you first turn the tablet on.
I am currently using a rooted firmware without the wifi fix so i'm getting a below average wifi performance.
It's really not a problem for me as I still get reception all through out the house albeit at lower bars.
It also depends on your router and ISP service. I'm using Virgin Media's Superhub at 30mbps fibre optic.

Thanks gx3k for your list of perceived advantages (over the Archos Cobalt 80). Despite its quirks, I really enjoy using the Cobalt, and so the plus points you mention above would make the Titanium pretty ideal...especially for £99!

Like (I think) you did with the Archos Cobalt in your review of that, will you be posting any comparison pics, i.e. with other tablets you own?
Edited by: "stuart162" 2nd Apr 2013

Original Poster

stuart162

Thanks gx3k for your list of perceived advantages (over the Archos Cobalt … Thanks gx3k for your list of perceived advantages (over the Archos Cobalt 80). Despite its quirks, I really enjoy using the Cobalt, and so the plus points you mention above would make the Titanium pretty ideal...especially for £99!Like (I think) you did with the Archos Cobalt in your review of that, will you be posting any comparison pics, i.e. with other tablets you own?

I was gonna post comparison pics but I messed up the installation of the screen protector on my titanium (lint and bubbles everywhere) so I am waiting for the new ones I ordered from eBay. I will post them as soon as I can

I think this has great potential provided the wifi can be shown to be ok in comparison with other proven devices, everything else on this tablet looks good.

Not sure if of use to anyone but if you do a search on eBay a couple of cases pop up. I have tried to post links, but they never seem to get past moderation for some reason. Haven't ordered a case yet as only just got my archos 80 titanium, so can't vouch for quality, fit, etc.

Original Poster

winchman

I think this has great potential provided the wifi can be shown to be ok … I think this has great potential provided the wifi can be shown to be ok in comparison with other proven devices, everything else on this tablet looks good.

I have updated 2nd post about wifi reception comparison vs other devices.

Scooter010

Not sure if of use to anyone but if you do a search on eBay a couple of … Not sure if of use to anyone but if you do a search on eBay a couple of cases pop up. I have tried to post links, but they never seem to get past moderation for some reason. Haven't ordered a case yet as only just got my archos 80 titanium, so can't vouch for quality, fit, etc.

I am also in the hunt for cases as the aluminium back is prone to scratches. I'm looking for a gel/tpu case like this one:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Nexus-7-Black-TPU-Gel-Case-Cover-Protector-/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/fRsAAMXQqBxRHqux/$T2eC16VHJGQE9noM,KSRBRHquwoqq!~~60_12.JPG
Edited by: "gx3k" 3rd Apr 2013

[/quote]

I am also in the hunt for cases as the aluminium back is prone to scratches. I'm looking for a gel/tpu case like this one:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Nexus-7-Black-TPU-Gel-Case-Cover-Protector-/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/fRsAAMXQqBxRHqux/$T2eC16VHJGQE9noM,KSRBRHquwoqq!~~60_12.JPG
[/quote]

That's the kind I would like too! The only ones I could find are the fake leather folio kind. Also been trying to find a tablet with similar dimensions to the Titanium but to no avail so far, as this worked when using Ipad cases for my old HP Touchpad.
Edited by: "Scooter010" 3rd Apr 2013

I'm interested in one of these to run xbmc as well as general purpose tablet. What's HD playback like and is it possible to connect a USB hd?

Was thinking of nexus 7 but no hdmi out and almost twice the price

Original Poster

booble

I'm interested in one of these to run xbmc as well as general purpose … I'm interested in one of these to run xbmc as well as general purpose tablet. What's HD playback like and is it possible to connect a USB hd?Was thinking of nexus 7 but no hdmi out and almost twice the price

I bought this tablet to use as a media player as its very difficult to find one with HDMI out. HD playback is great but the aspect ratio is wrong as it follows the tablet's screen ratio. You can use MX player app to play videos in their correct aspect ratio by using stretch mode but the status bar stays in the screen. The Archos video player app is great as well because its the only player I found that supports DTS audio and plays any format if you download the ffree codec pack in the Play store. Both players support videos with multiple audio streams and subtitles.

gx3k

You can use MX player app to play videos in their correct aspect ratio by … You can use MX player app to play videos in their correct aspect ratio by using stretch mode but the status bar stays in the screen. The Archos video player app is great as well because its the only player I found that supports DTS audio and plays any format if you download the ffree codec pack in the Play store. Both players support videos with multiple audio streams and subtitles.

So the default archos video player app doesn't allow the aspect ratio to be corrected?

Original Poster

beastman

So the default archos video player app doesn't allow the aspect ratio to … So the default archos video player app doesn't allow the aspect ratio to be corrected?

The Archos video player also has a stretch mode that corrects the aspect ratio but you can see a black border around the picture. Our telly has a zoom function (and aspect ratio changer) so it's not a problem for us. The picture looks fine even with the zoom as the tablet upscales the picture.

http://i.imgur.com/zNFsq76.png
Edited by: "gx3k" 4th Apr 2013

why not use XBMC?

Original Poster

DudeyGeeza

why not use XBMC?

Just not my type, it's a bit tricky to install and the apps I have is good enough for me.
I don't think it does anything new to make it worth the hassle.

gx3k

Just not my type, it's a bit tricky to install and the apps I have is … Just not my type, it's a bit tricky to install and the apps I have is good enough for me.I don't think it does anything new to make it worth the hassle.

it scrapes covers for all your movies so you view them in like dvd case format etc.. eg: or Click me

http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/attachments/screen-24-jpg.122296/

Edited by: "DudeyGeeza" 4th Apr 2013

Original Poster

DudeyGeeza

it scrapes covers for all your movies so you view them in like dvd case … it scrapes covers for all your movies so you view them in like dvd case format etc..

Archos video player does that already, it searches for dvd/bluray covers, posters for background, info and subtitles. You can even use another android device to control all functions of the tablet wirelessly (via wifi). Also, there's a widget function too which is great

Full version usually costs around £4 from the Play store (now on sale for £2) but it comes free with the Archos titanium (Cobalt uses a different video and audio Player) plus it works perfectly as it's tailored for Archos products (it's the default video player).

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2012/12/archos-video-player.jpg

http://www.media-lemondenumerique.com/upload/images/2012/12/Archos%20video%20player2.jpg

http://betanews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/unnamed.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-rD2jdqnnjHI/USZGKvqgpkI/AAAAAAAAAJA/JZcQPmRVS5I/w497-h373/Screenshot_2013-02-21-17-06-10.png

http://i.imgur.com/bB9SsBz.jpg
Edited by: "gx3k" 4th Apr 2013

COOL! didnt know that, thanks

Can the archos play media from a usb hard drive?

Original Poster

jtorry

Can the archos play media from a usb hard drive?

It depends on the brand, format, and USB type of the hard drive. USB 2.0 external hard drives formatted in Fat32 or exFat should work (specially those with extra USB jack for power) although you can try using apps like this one to open drives with NTFS or other formats. Some USB 3.0 drives with sizes 1TB and above might not work (they usually have no extra USB jack for power) and those which need external power supply as the tablet won't be able to give it enough power to work.

Thumb drives work, I personally use a 64Gb one from 7dayshop. It is also good know that the tablet is compatible with uPnP and Samba for streaming media from a PC or Mac on your home network (high bitrate videos and/or slow connection will make it lag), or the ARCHOS media server to stream to a DNLA compatible TV.

http://i.imgur.com/yTZanKD.jpg
Edited by: "gx3k" 5th Apr 2013

Has anybody got a wifi adhoc connection working?

I am searching for a solution to connect the tab to a nokia phone via joikuspot hotspot which only provides an adhoc wifi network. I've already found a wpa_supplicant with which the hotspot is at least visible, but connection to it fails all the time...:(

Original Poster

PeterSemper

Has anybody got a wifi adhoc connection working?I am searching for a … Has anybody got a wifi adhoc connection working?I am searching for a solution to connect the tab to a nokia phone via joikuspot hotspot which only provides an adhoc wifi network. I've already found a wpa_supplicant with which the hotspot is at least visible, but connection to it fails all the time...:(

I will look into this further as I have not found a way to wirelessly transfer files via adhoc connection. I usually use Airdroid to wirelessly transfer files to and from my PC but not to another mobile device.

Update: I have ordered a bluetooth dongle from eBay for just £1.19 delivered. I'll test it using the USB OTG cable when it arrives and report back.
Edited by: "gx3k" 18th Apr 2013

Original Poster

Just found out this neat feature in the default camera app that lets you apply special effects on your videos in real time:

[img]i.imgur.com/isD…g?1?1872[/img]

Here are more camera samples I took outdoors using the default camera app and edited in Picasa to improve sharpness and colour:

[img]i.imgur.com/TRf…g?1?5260[/img]

[img]i.imgur.com/RGi…jpg?1[/img]

[img]i.imgur.com/QUk…jpg?1[/img]
Edited by: "gx3k" 21st Apr 2013

Any cases turned up for this ?

Original Poster

SilverBlack

Any cases turned up for this ?

No gel cases so I just covered the back with vinyl and got a pouch from ebay: click here for link

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Pouch-Case-For-8-Archos-Elements-80-Platinum-Titanium-Arnova-8C-G3-Tablet-C17-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/dIUAAOxyOM5RZOL8/$(KGrHqFHJC0FFKI1IKwFBRZOL8i!Fg~~60_12.JPG

There's also a folder type case that's specifically made for Archos 80 Titanium: click here for link

http://images.esellerpro.com/2167/500.500@I/176/01/969_montage.jpg

Cheers mate will have a better look when I'm on the PC .

How about battery life time?
if I use 100%brightness, wifi, watch youtube online?
Is there any latest firmware for it?

Original Poster

LikeIt

How about battery life time?if I use 100%brightness, wifi, watch youtube … How about battery life time?if I use 100%brightness, wifi, watch youtube online? Is there any latest firmware for it?

Battery life its average, the screen is very bright so you will not need 100% brightness indoors.
It lasts over 5 hours with continuous Wi-Fi surfing and youtube at 50% brightness.
There will be a firmware update when you turn it on for the first time.

Banned

can you check how mah (battery capacity) by software?
i dont't believe that 80 titan has 8000mah battery.
thanks.

Original Poster

DayLaNick

can you check how mah (battery capacity) by software?i dont't believe … can you check how mah (battery capacity) by software?i dont't believe that 80 titan has 8000mah battery.thanks.

I don't think you can check the mah using an app. If you find one, let me know so I can test. Battery life depends on other variables other than mah like hardware (screen type, CPU/GPU drain) and software (background apps). It's better to read/watch reviews to determine accurate battery life.

According to the PC Advisor review, it lasts over 4 hours playing HD video in 100% brightness with wifi on. It lasts over 5.5 hours of playing HD video in 50% brightness and wifi off. The Kindle fire lasts under 6 hours in the same test and the Nexus 7 lasts under 10 hours. Not the best, but not bad either for the price and specs.

The battery also gets better after calibration and a few cycles. (see guide on post #1)
Edited by: "gx3k" 23rd Apr 2013
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants