Groups

Are 15 too many cycles for my battery?

I bought my MacBook at the end of November and the battery stats app says the battery has 15 cycles. They seem too many for me or is it just my impression?

I run it off the battery most of the time and only charge it when the battery gets low. Charge to 100% then unplug.

20 Comments

mr_geese

I bought my MacBook at the end of November and the battery stats … I bought my MacBook at the end of November and the battery stats app says the battery has 15 cycles. They seem too many for me or is it just my impression? I run it off the battery most of the time and only charge it when the battery gets low. Charge to 100% then unplug.

that does'nt sound too bad, if you use till 50% then charge then next day till 50% and charge that will count as 1 cycle, so that sounds fine, simplyfixit.co.uk/rep…es/

Original Poster

whelan189

that does'nt sound too bad, if you use till 50% then charge then next day … that does'nt sound too bad, if you use till 50% then charge then next day till 50% and charge that will count as 1 cycle, so that sounds fine, https://simplyfixit.co.uk/replacing-macbook-batteries/

Thanks. Should I keep it plugged in and only unplug it when I need to move it?

mr_geese

Thanks. Should I keep it plugged in and only unplug it when I need to … Thanks. Should I keep it plugged in and only unplug it when I need to move it?

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it. Batteries should be good for at least a thousand cycles, and even after that they won't immediately stop working, just not last as long. Unless you're doing more than one complete cycle a day every day, the computer itself is going to be outdated before the battery is.

apple.com/bat…on/

ive only done 500 cycles after just over 3 years, and my battery capacity is at 82%.... dont worry about it
    Edited by: "mattsk" 7th Jan

Muir

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it. Batteries should be good … Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it. Batteries should be good for at least a thousand cycles, and even after that they won't immediately stop working, just not last as long. Unless you're doing more than one complete cycle a day every day, the computer itself is going to be outdated before the battery is.

To be fair Macbooks are outdated before the battery from day zero...I'd say 15 is fine, mine lasts about 6 hours of use and now has 110 cycles and is about 9 months old, mostly used plugged in and moved around, I've only drained it completely about 5 times so no idea where the 110 figure comes from unless it counts up all the 2-3% drops when I occasionally move from one room to another.

mr_geese

Thanks. Should I keep it plugged in and only unplug it when I need to … Thanks. Should I keep it plugged in and only unplug it when I need to move it?

you can get em replaced most likely for not that expensive it won't suffer for a couple of years atleast

Use how you wish. It'll last year's. Replace battery if needs be, but you'll probably need a new laptop before a new battery.

You should have think about it before you bought crapBook Just use it how ever you won't (best way is charge it to 90% and using until it discharge to aprox. 10%, then plug it back). Once per month let it to discharge completely and charge fully after. That won't change the world but should extend bat. life a little bit. Question is if you willing to do it, it is not comfy and after all this is all about when it comes to Apple stuff, isn't it?
    Edited by: "HavocLP" 7th Jan

I wouldn't worry about it i got mine October 2012 and has had 884 charge cycles apparently an still works surprisingly well, still outlasts a surface pro 4 which is nice

HavocLP

You should have think about it before you bought crapBook Just use it … You should have think about it before you bought crapBook Just use it how ever you won't (best way is charge it to 90% and using until it discharge to aprox. 10%, then plug it back). Once per month let it to discharge completely and charge fully after. That won't change the world but should extend bat. life a little bit. Question is if you willing to do it, it is not comfy and after all this is all about when it comes to Apple stuff, isn't it?

Discharge completely? Is this 2005?

It's never completely. I meant until warnings about weak battery will show up. And like I said, it is not essential. Its anyway programmed by Apple to be dead after some count of cycles anyway, just to take more money from faithful people But it will help to keep time on battery on proper level until the end.
    Edited by: "HavocLP" 7th Jan

HavocLP

It's never completely. I meant until warnings about weak battery will … It's never completely. I meant until warnings about weak battery will show up. And like I said, it is not essential. Its anyway programmed by Apple to be dead after some count of cycles anyway, just to take more money from faithful people But it will help to keep time on battery on proper level until the end.

The battery is programmed to die after a set number of charge? Really?

HavocLP

It's never completely. I meant until warnings about weak battery will … It's never completely. I meant until warnings about weak battery will show up. And like I said, it is not essential. Its anyway programmed by Apple to be dead after some count of cycles anyway, just to take more money from faithful people But it will help to keep time on battery on proper level until the end.

jackanoory jackanoooory

have you ever had one because that is rubbish.

Nope, I just fixing them all my life, but hey you don't have to listen to me, more work and more money for me
    ibblackberry1. Don't know, ask Apple. But for me it looks weird when all cells in 2 years old battery are working (meaning, they got correct voltage) but battery is still "dead" according to rest of hardware.

HavocLP

Nope, I just fixing them all my life, but hey you don't have to listen to … Nope, I just fixing them all my life, but hey you don't have to listen to me, more work and more money for me :)ibblackberry1. Don't know, ask Apple. But for me it looks weird when all cells in 2 years old battery are working (meaning, they got correct voltage) but battery is still "dead" according to rest of hardware.

so you've never had one and don't realise that the batteries are Lithium-ion ? all apple products have them now and use the Lithium polymer implementation of this technology.. the advice that you are giving is for pre Lithium-ion batteries. so you are about 10 years out of date.

btw, you don't 'fix' batteries.

jonnithomas

so you've never had one and don't realise that the batteries are … so you've never had one and don't realise that the batteries are Lithium-ion ? all apple products have them now and use the Lithium polymer implementation of this technology.. the advice that you are giving is for pre Lithium-ion batteries. so you are about 10 years out of date.btw, you don't 'fix' batteries.

I have a felling that I am talking to the wall. I know that mate, but if you think that charging battery anytime even if its still have 80% capacity doesn't make any harm, well you are wrong too. And why I cannot fix battery? When it comes about normal batteries in most cases only one of 3 or 4 cells inside is damage. It is all about swap damage cell. But I don't think you ever tried to do this, did you?
    *andynicol - in progress, I am speaking in English since last year only. But if you will find out method to learn it in one day let me know, please :-)

Brand-name Li-ion cells are not readily available because a reputable battery manufacturer will only sell to certified pack assemblers in higher volume. The reason for this is that Li-on or Li-po batteries will explode easily if not treated properly. On assembly each cell is connected to sophisticated electronics to prevent an accident in use. If you remember samsung recently got this wrong publicly in a big way.

So what you describe as Apple manipulating customers for sales by switching off batteries is rubbish. It's done to prevent risk and subsequent lawsuits.

So would I let you replace a cell on my li-po battery. hell no, I like living and I'm not the proverbial 'wall'. btw if you do it I really hope you have very high insurance cover.

HavocLP

I have a felling that I am talking to the wall. I know that mate, but if … I have a felling that I am talking to the wall. I know that mate, but if you think that charging battery anytime even if its still have 80% capacity doesn't make any harm, well you are wrong too. And why I cannot fix battery? When it comes about normal batteries in most cases only one of 3 or 4 cells inside is damage. It is all about swap damage cell. But I don't think you ever tried to do this, did you?*andynicol - in progress, I am speaking in English since last year only. But if you will find out method to learn it in one day let me know, please :-)

see response above

Yes you can, and I will agree. Just trying to help as much as I can But I got your point, and appreciate this, most of people just smiling instead of tell to us "hey mate, it doesn't make sens, what do you mean?" . Anyway, nothing to add anymore.
    Edited by: "HavocLP" 8th Jan

Original Poster

HavocLP

You should have think about it before you bought crapBook Just use it … You should have think about it before you bought crapBook Just use it how ever you won't (best way is charge it to 90% and using until it discharge to aprox. 10%, then plug it back). Once per month let it to discharge completely and charge fully after. That won't change the world but should extend bat. life a little bit. Question is if you willing to do it, it is not comfy and after all this is all about when it comes to Apple stuff, isn't it?

I have only ever used Windows and this is my first Mac. So far very pleased with the OS.
    I had two netbooks both dying because of the charging port breaking with no misuse. A HP which had a loose hinge and so the screen packed up after a year only, then a Dell, which I still have, that's well built but hating Windows 10 and the Cortana crap popping up every minute and since the last major update the scrolling both with touchpad and touch screen malfunctions with Chrome. Nothing seems to fix that.
    Now I don't need to worry about the registry, having an antivirus installed (even though I am not an inexperienced user so I don't get viruses, spywares etc) and all the annoying Windows quirks.
    Only thing I like more about Windows is how easy it is to copy and paste stuff and unistalling applications (even if uninstalling in Windows leaves all sorts of traces behind).

I got AppleCare for the Mac quite cheap so not too bothered about the battery replacement, but since it's so new and pricey I want to treat it with the utmost care and I am looking to keep it for a few years.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Three connection78
      2. Question for electrician on bathroom fan44
      3. Is it worth spending £20k on a car?1722
      4. Iphone 7 - What Case?613

See more discussions