Are 4K TV's impractical

Found 11th MarEdited by:"04.02.2008"
2907543.jpg

Does anyone really sit that close to get the optimal viewing distance?

I couldnt imagine sitting just 2.9' away from a 50"

Id love the resolution boost for gaming but seems like a waste because im not sure it would be comfortable to sit that close, im currently sitting 6ft away from a 1080p tv

Any experiences?
Community Updates
AskElectronics
Top comments
jb663 h, 1 m ago

That chart is someone's opinion not a fact, I sit 10ft away from my 60" 4k …That chart is someone's opinion not a fact, I sit 10ft away from my 60" 4k and can tell the difference

But can you, or is that just your opinion?
10 Comments
It's more about the panel isn't it? You'll see a more noticeable change if you get an oled, it has to have HDR too otherwise what's the point?

I don't think it'd be a massive difference sitting 10ft away from a standard HD 55" than it would be sitting 10ft away from a cheap non HDR 4k 55". Sure they look great set up in Argos and such places when standing right next to it, not sure it'd be much of an improvement in the home.
That chart is someone's opinion not a fact, I sit 10ft away from my 60" 4k and can tell the difference
Edited by: "jb66" 11th Mar
jb6657 m ago

That chart is someone's opinion not a fact, I sit 10ft away from my 60" 4k …That chart is someone's opinion not a fact, I sit 10ft away from my 60" 4k and can tell the difference

There are always extremes of what people perceive as different. There is however a limit to the human eyes field of view and resolution.
Charts like that take into account various factors that are more steeped in fact than opinion. Though that doesn’t mean that others benefit from being closer or further away.
They remained that going from Full HD to 4K wasn't going to be as noticeable as standard to Full HD, that's why we've got HDR and a larger colour range etc to make things look more impressive.
We are talking about four times the pixels here (over 1080p), that is actually a lot of extra detail. It's massively noticeable for gaming in particular, viewing distance is not a factor for me and I feel like my living room is larger than average. Having looked at the chart I would treat that as a guide not a rule.

You can also definitely tell the improvement of detail even with low quality streamed 4k such as Netflix, maybe it helps that I've always looked for that sort of thing.
Edited by: "delusion" 11th Mar
jb663 h, 1 m ago

But can you, or is that just your opinion?
deleted1166706
I had these issues, ended up going with a 65" 4K and could only appreciate the difference if within 7ft. Anything more than 7ft and 1080p looked equally as sharp. I now suppliment TV with a 4K projector, that's far more beneficial.
deleted800342
No.
4k is double edged. Too close and the low PPI looks crap and too far away you lose the detail. Only real way to tell if you can see the difference from 10 foot is to display standard size font at 4k on the size. If you can still read it easily then the size to distance is good.
jb666 h, 26 m ago

Yep. IIRC, the chart is the product of a blogger, circa 2006. The blogger himself has no qualifications, and simply based the chart on his understanding of an American optician's eyesight test. It's a guide that's generally disputed by people with eyes and supported by those unable to afford a decent TVs, and it should be ignored.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants