are airmouse any good? or a keyboard/touchpad combo for htpc / kodi - looking rii i8?

Found 17th Sep 2015
im looking for a good remote for htpc
i dont want the logitech k400 keyboard/touchpad
i want something smaller that works well and has decent battery life
primarily using for kodi but would like sommat with a good touchpad if possible..

its needs to be ir/rf - bluetooth will be no good as i want to use it on a qnap nas

thanks
Community Updates
17 Comments
You don't want an air mouse for kodi as it's designed for directional buttons

I have an air mouse that cost £7 for my android tv and only use the mouse facility for the android interface

I nearly got a rii i8 but so glad I didn't as hate having to use two hands just to play and pause etc within kodi. Not to mention the difficulty moving a cursor around a large screen using a 1inch track pad.

Edited by: "chocci" 17th Sep 2015
Original Poster
True I can imagine . I want an Amazon type remote but may need some touchpad to move across screen out of the kodi app
Can't you use your phone/tablet for the same purpose ?
Original Poster
yeh but i need an ir type device or an rf usb to connect to the nas server

are airmouse tricky to use?
wakkaday

yeh but i need an ir type device or an rf usb to connect to the nas … yeh but i need an ir type device or an rf usb to connect to the nas serverare airmouse tricky to use?

to start with yes but just adjust the android pointer settings to low then gradually increase over time

very accurate though (same as a wiimote)
kester76

Can't you use your phone/tablet for the same purpose ?

+1
mattmerch

+1

I dont really get why people suggest this as surely its not a one handed operation compared to normal remote controls not withstanding having it in the room permanently and battery issues etc
chocci

I dont really get why people suggest this as surely its not a one handed … I dont really get why people suggest this as surely its not a one handed operation compared to normal remote controls not withstanding having it in the room permanently and battery issues etc

apologies just going on what i found works best for me
chocci

I dont really get why people suggest this as surely its not a one handed … I dont really get why people suggest this as surely its not a one handed operation compared to normal remote controls not withstanding having it in the room permanently and battery issues etc

​I use a hp mce remote or the k400 but my s4 or ipad 3 gives me full control over kodi. plus I dont have to be in the room. same with sky hd+ box. hell home theatre, tv, bluray player can all be set for my little boy while I have a lay in on the sunday. All with just my phone
Original Poster
Is there a remote with even a small touch pad . That looks like a remote ? Phone wouldn't work for me even with my Amazon fire TV I preferred the remote rather then app only using a tablet to occasionally type ...
wakkaday

Is there a remote with even a small touch pad . That looks like a remote … Is there a remote with even a small touch pad . That looks like a remote ? Phone wouldn't work for me even with my Amazon fire TV I preferred the remote rather then app only using a tablet to occasionally type ...

Why do you need the touchpad ?
Most people would probably just use a MCE remote with Kodi and a wireless keyboard and mouse for any admin work. These mini keyboard mouse things are all pretty crap and most people dump them after a while.
Original Poster
in case i need to navigate on the screen away from kodi on the main interface... but lets seee
i do know what you mean
wakkaday

in case i need to navigate on the screen away from kodi on the main … in case i need to navigate on the screen away from kodi on the main interface... but lets seeei do know what you mean

I'd probably use a xbox 360 controller as a mouse then. Still not sure why you don't use a k400r or just use remote control software to switch between the apps. MCE remote have several keyshortcuts you can define to switch between apps.
Original Poster
will check that out controller option, may be an option...
i have a logitech harmony touch which may work as a standard mce remote, because it uses ir like the nas device (awaiting delivery)... but i can imagine it being laggy...as it is with my cable box

so was looking for something perhaps more dedicated faster,,, the controller option may not be bad as it has a d pad and i guess the other motion botton to direct any cursors etc
Original Poster
i came across this lenovo device, i wonder if there is anything cheaper or similar
youtube.com/wat…zpE
wakkaday

i came across this lenovo device, i wonder if there is anything cheaper … i came across this lenovo device, i wonder if there is anything cheaper or similarhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHDdiivDzpE

Looks good but not for me Too small for any serious typing
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants