Groups

Are ants in your hotel room pretty much standard in european 'beach holiday destinations'?

Im looking for a decent holiday for a decent price for two weeks in august, reading reviews etc on trip advisor and there seems to be a fair few mentions of ants in the hotel rooms.. is this a regular thing? my partner hates little insects bugs etc so this could be a problem if it is!

any advice on what to do with them would be much appriciated too and will be given reps accordingly

11 Comments

any advice on what to do with them would be much appriciated

I usually pop them in a jar, and take them home, and give them out to friends and family as authentic presents...

starsparkle2311;5479751

OMG just ignore them, put some breadcrumbs down, let them parteeeeeeeee, … OMG just ignore them, put some breadcrumbs down, let them parteeeeeeeee, then stamp on them!!!

:thumbsup: (How are you starsparkle?)

If there is food out on any surface then ants can be a problem. Even open packets of crisps, chocolate bars, rubbish in bins, they will smell it a mile away!

starsparkle2311;5479770

lol, Hi ya, I'm good thanx, gonna hit the zzzzzzz's soon, are you ok?:-D

Very good thanks!!! Soo... these damn Ants..... :thumbsup:

Ants will come in your room if there is a source of food for them. If you avoid taking drinks and food back as well as not use the rubbish bin in your room. It may keep the ant invasion down.
    You can get Ant repel sprays to put around the doors and windows.
    Although it sounds like a lot of effort if you are staying in somewhere that is self catering the chances are the people before you left crumbs, slops and spills that the maid has missed. You can give the floors and work tops a good going over yourself with some disinfectant. If not book yourself into a plush hotel that is cleaned to a very high standard. I would avoid the island of Kos in August as the ants are huge. They are like the dessert ants with extended hind legs and true eyesight instead of smell and they can run faster than cars ...well almost lol. There are also mosquitos and cockroaches to deal with in some places.

Original Poster

thanks kaits, anyone else got anything sensible to add??

Ants are standard. Roaches cost extra . . .

chrisharry12345;5480806

thanks kaits, anyone else got anything sensible to add??

You are welcome chrisharry. :thumbsup:

tallpete33;5480836

Ants are standard. Roaches cost extra . . .

yeah there will be cockroaches and mosquitos

Have ( luckily ) never seen roaches in the UK. we have loads of them in Florida and have to use chemicals to kill them off, even then they keep returning.

Went to a holiday cottage in Norfolk once that had AWFUL ants, it was so bad, I wanted to leave. So unhygienic. The owners response was " put ant killing dust down" explained I didn't want to risk baby eating that " keep away from children" but they just werent interested.

I use travel sites to check reviews of places before booking as " added guests" can really ruin a holiday.

Original Poster

i didnt see any in florida, quite a few ants there though!

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hot…tml

went for that hotel in the end.. looks pretty clean anyway so hopefully it will be all good

chrisharry12345;5486106

i didnt see any in florida, quite a few ants there … i didnt see any in florida, quite a few ants there though!http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g315915-d287462-Reviews-Angela_Hotel-Fuengirola_Costa_del_Sol_Andalusia.htmlwent for that hotel in the end.. looks pretty clean anyway so hopefully it will be all good

Hey chrisharry
    It looks good , have a nice holiday:thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047091
      2. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?715
      3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread424214488
      4. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553777

See more discussions