Groups

are any of these computers any good

Hi I'm looking for a computer for my dad, he don't need nothing fancy just something to use on a daily basis excel word etc etc nothing slow as he gets annoyed quick lol

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/lenovo-ideacentre-510s-desktop-pc-10146052-pdt.html

Any from Currys sub 400 would be great

18 Comments

The one in your link is out of stock, however there is another lenovo on the site for £299 which has double the ram too so should be faster.

If you could stretch to £429 then id say this one looks alot better than anything else currys have sub 400 purely based on it having a newer intel i3 processor along with the 8gb ram and 1tb hard drive it should be fast enough for most tasks and reliable.
    currys.co.uk/gbu…tml

With the availability and how accessible PC parts are nowdays it's cheaper, easier and results in something better to build yourself. It took all of 5 mins to build a system better than what currys were offering for a fraction of the cost.
    My build came to £223 using quite good quality components that have long warranties. Uses an SSD and a kaby lake pentium so speed should not be a problem. I did with 4gb of ram but for £25 more you could have 8gb.
    That's what's great as well is you can ugpade and swap parts out so say if you were going to start watching lots of high bit rate or 4k films consider a budget GPU like a rx460 or 1050. As GPU hardware acceleration is great for lots of things other than gaming.
    For £250 you can get a great system with room to expand, let me know if this route actually interests you and I will be more than willing to help. Cost of Windows 10 license is about £15 but you can use the system just as normal on Windows 10 without, the only thing it does is lock your background to Windows 10 default one but this has a work around anyway.

Edited by: "Gowlande" 16th May

Any new PC will be quick enough to run word and browse the internet. I referb 8yr old laptops that fly on windows 10 for standard office and internet.
    What he does online and downloads will slow down the PC, so educate him about dodgy sites and malware

Though if you can't be bothered with that route this is a powerhouse for the money, maybe consider adding an SSD if you can get one cheap but it will still be quite without: serversdirect.co.uk/p/1…wcB

Just make sure it has an ssd.

Most average home PC users will not want nor have the ability to build their own. You have to know what to buy , source the parts and compare the prices ,assemble the parts , install an OS , install the drivers and the software . I built them for a living many years ago when I worked as a school technician . Some of the componants I bought were faulty and had to be returned , rare I know but it happened . There is some bargains to be had on ebay , lots of traders selling newly built models and ex office PC's for a fraction of the cost . I've bought 4 for customers and they have been perfect .The most spent was £250 . Delivered within days and you got a guarantee.

b4lly87

...just something to use on a daily basis excel word etc etc nothing slow … ...just something to use on a daily basis excel word etc etc nothing slow as he gets annoyed quick lol

Be aware that many pre-built machines are provided with a time-limited version of MS Office / Word / Excel / etc. May need to factor costs of MS Office or consider one of the many freebie / low cost and compatible alternatives.

waz96

If you could stretch to £429 then id say this one looks alot better than … If you could stretch to £429 then id say this one looks alot better than anything else currys have sub 400 purely based on it having a newer intel i3 processor along with the 8gb ram and 1tb hard drive it should be fast enough for most tasks and reliable

The i3-6100 and Pentium G4400 are both the same age (completely identical chips in fact), they're both Skylake CPUs and the Pentium just has a few less features turned on making it a little slower. It's certainly not worth an extra £130.

why currys ? got to be one of the worst places to get a pc ?

Overpriced for what it is.

Original Poster

Currys was just a comparison site I used I would like to build my own but don't have the time or patience waiting for parts any thing similar on any other websites would be also appreciated

Britneyfan

why currys ? got to be one of the worst places to get a pc ?

This and the terrible support afterwards.

Hi

Tier1online website has lots of useful machines to do the job , sub £200

EndlessWaves

The i3-6100 and Pentium G4400 are both the same age (completely identical … The i3-6100 and Pentium G4400 are both the same age (completely identical chips in fact), they're both Skylake CPUs and the Pentium just has a few less features turned on making it a little slower. It's certainly not worth an extra £130.

​Dont know much about processor's so was going on what a currys sales assistant told me when i got my laptop...... yep saying that out loud just made me realise how silly that was. Currys staff pushing the more pricey options....

m.shop.bt.com/pro…c=3

this looks like a nice spec pc for the price if building one isnt an option?

Original Poster

I'm looking on ebay now, i5 or i7 benefits of ssd? Or just stick with a big hdd?

waz96

Dont know much about processor's so was going on what a currys sales … Dont know much about processor's so was going on what a currys sales assistant told me when i got my laptop...... yep saying that out loud just made me realise how silly that was. Currys staff pushing the more pricey options....http://m.shop.bt.com/products/hp-280-g2-sff-intel-pentium-g4400-8gb-1tb-windows-10-pro-1ey04es-abu-CNWH.html?src=3this looks like a nice spec pc for the price if building one isnt an option?

Yeah, or something like this if you want the faster CPU & Graphics instead of the extra memory & storage:
    laptopsdirect.co.uk/ace…asp

b4lly87

I'm looking on ebay now, i5 or i7 benefits of ssd? Or just stick with a … I'm looking on ebay now, i5 or i7 benefits of ssd? Or just stick with a big hdd?

i5/i7 etc. branding is only comparable within a very narrow range, if you're looking at second hand machines then it's pretty meaningless.

An SSD will definitely be a far more noticable benefit than a high end desktop processor for normal use. Even a Pentium G4560 or i3-6100 is comparable to a high end laptop processors like the i7s in Macbooks, XPS 13s and Surfaces.

You can spend way less for office and browsing. blackbarncomputers.com/ref…109
    I use these for work, never had any problems. £159 all in and will feel more than fast enough for your dad.
    The old core 2 still has plenty of power for the basics these days.

One video I saw recommended an i5 2400 system (used)
    youtu.be/Arl…gWk
    Can be found for £100-150 on ebay (unless tricked out with gaming graphics), to make it faster in normal use, definitely add a SSD and transfer / reload OS on it ... if you need Win10, buy a cheap ebay key and keep fingers crossed
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Amsterdam Booking.com advice33
      2. Sportsmania.eu down. Any alternatives?2752
      3. Virgin Media - what is a good price?38
      4. plusnet mobile terrible35

See more discussions