Are C Grade Laptops Worth the Risk?

Found 21st Jun 2012
What are the chances are the chances of these being anything other than a dead mobo?
Community Updates
MiscLaptop
12 Comments
A Scratched
B Chipped
C Blended
bad keyboards, tend to duplicate typing duplicate typing
from sch trade? with what I have heard it tells you missing parts, usually hdd and/or ram plus the power supply iirc
eg this one schtrade.co.uk/hp-…06/ has no HDD, dont forget you can inform them you wish to return it within 7 days of receipt so if you already have the parts the only thing you risk is time and your money being out your account a few days if its not as expected.
Never buy second hand hardware. Only software. <--- That's my rule after numerous annoying second hand purchases. Peace of mind is priceless
Edited by: "JamesClark1991" 21st Jun 2012
I bought a Dell Latitude D620 in both the grade B and grade C areas of SCH Trade. Grade B was £85 and the Grade C was £50. Grade B included a psu which grade C didn't. Also the grade C Latitude had a damaged keyboard that required replacement. Grade C also had some dead pixel clusters on the screen but in use they aren't too bad at all. Both came with 60GB hard drives and dvd writers which worked in both cases and both are stable usable computers. One of the usb ports is damaged on the grade C.

They are both the same spec of 1.66ghz core 2 duos with 1GB of memory and both had the broadcom/dell wifi card fitted.

I installed a triple boot on both Latitudes with mac os x, windows 7 and ubuntu linux but must admit I have to reinstall it on the £85 latitude as I mucked up the triple boot by playing about with the active hard drive utility on windows 7.

bonzobanana

I bought a Dell Latitude D620 in both the grade B and grade C areas of … I bought a Dell Latitude D620 in both the grade B and grade C areas of SCH Trade. Grade B was £85 and the Grade C was £50. Grade B included a psu which grade C didn't. Also the grade C Latitude had a damaged keyboard that required replacement. Grade C also had some dead pixel clusters on the screen but in use they aren't too bad at all. Both came with 60GB hard drives and dvd writers which worked in both cases and both are stable usable computers. One of the usb ports is damaged on the grade C.They are both the same spec of 1.66ghz core 2 duos with 1GB of memory and both had the broadcom/dell wifi card fitted.I installed a triple boot on both Latitudes with mac os x, windows 7 and ubuntu linux but must admit I have to reinstall it on the £85 latitude as I mucked up the triple boot by playing about with the active hard drive utility on windows 7.

nice info but in you opinion was the £35 saving worthwhile assuming you had a spare PSU or dvd/hdd whatever it needed?
I definitly have a spare psu and hdd so no problems there. I was thinking more along the lines of DOA or smashed screens which would bounce it out of the park.
harlzter

eg this one … eg this one http://www.schtrade.co.uk/hp-6910p-laptop-core-2-duo-2-0ghz-1gb-ram-no-hdd-9506/ has no HDD, dont forget you can inform them you wish to return it within 7 days of receipt so if you already have the parts the only thing you risk is time and your money being out your account a few days if its not as expected.

I hadn't thought about it like that, so all i really risk is the cost of return postage.
harlzter

nice info but in you opinion was the £35 saving worthwhile assuming you … nice info but in you opinion was the £35 saving worthwhile assuming you had a spare PSU or dvd/hdd whatever it needed?

The only thing missing was a psu and needing a replacement keyboard. I guess it cost about £63 to get it running to the same level as the £85 model but in that £22 difference the grade b model was guaranteed, had no missing pixels, didn't have a damaged usb port and was generally with regard scratches etc a bit better. Also the screen hinge mechanism is slightly better on the £85 model. Please note that when I bought my grade c for £50 it was the only grade c listed with a hard drive included. The other £50 models didn't have it. My advice is go with grade B but I don't regret my grade C purchase but I certainly would have done if it hadn't included a hard drive.
bonzobanana

The only thing missing was a psu and needing a replacement keyboard. I … The only thing missing was a psu and needing a replacement keyboard. I guess it cost about £63 to get it running to the same level as the £85 model but in that £22 difference the grade b model was guaranteed, had no missing pixels, didn't have a damaged usb port and was generally with regard scratches etc a bit better. Also the screen hinge mechanism is slightly better on the £85 model. Please note that when I bought my grade c for £50 it was the only grade c listed with a hard drive included. The other £50 models didn't have it. My advice is go with grade B but I don't regret my grade C purchase but I certainly would have done if it hadn't included a hard drive.

I have gone for the c grade pureley because the 60gb hdd would need to be bigger and I have a spare 160 sat on a shelf at home and a charger from a d610. so if it's DOA then it goes back if not then it's all good I will have a bit of fun doing a dual boot so my partner can play on OSX
Do any of you know who SCH Trade use for delivery?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions