Are CEX scamming people?

Posted 19th Dec 2019
Ok,

Long story short, sent CEX a brand new phone Galaxy A10 and was offered £104. A week later, they respond and say they have downgraded payment to £75 because the box was damaged. Item was securely packed and sent using their own labels.

I believe this is a scam by them to downgrade payment, when in reality there is nothing wrong with it, and they are just trying it on.

I will be taking this further guaranteed, but am keen to know if any members here have experienced similar experiences with these CEX cowboys...
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
It’s seems to be common practice with cex/music magpie. They just like trying their luck imo. Best to take in store to cex if ever selling
49 Comments
It’s seems to be common practice with cex/music magpie. They just like trying their luck imo. Best to take in store to cex if ever selling
It’s just like webuyanycar - lure you in with a high figure then do all they can to knock you down.
That is why I always take it into the store then you can swear in their faces
I’ve never had issue with cex, however I always take into store, also avoids any postal issues
I would ask for proof of the box being damaged personally, that's shocking practice from them
anthonyjames9019/12/2019 22:43

It’s just like webuyanycar - lure you in with a high figure then do all t …It’s just like webuyanycar - lure you in with a high figure then do all they can to knock you down.

I offered them a car once; they didn't want to buy it.

True story.

"Too niche", apparently.
ShoelaceExpress19/12/2019 22:52

I would ask for proof of the box being damaged personally, that's shocking …I would ask for proof of the box being damaged personally, that's shocking practice from them

They would intentionally damage the box and take a picture
I agree with majority of the comments, when I buy or sell phones, I personally always go into the store even if I know I would get a better deal elsewhere
Ask for them to rerun it and take it game for more money on the trade in
Istanbul19/12/2019 23:00

Exactly, but when you send them it in a box and fully wrapped, no damage should get to the phone itself.
Thanks for your replies, from now on, will go to store myself, they simply cannot be trusted.
In the meantime, i'll be getting it sent back to me at their expense.
Istanbul19/12/2019 23:00

At least then you know they're doing themselves out of a bit of money lol
Since when have CEX prices been dependent on box condition? Surely the box doesn't affect the item condition and they don't deal in new goods. Sounds like a scam.
Sharpharp19/12/2019 23:11

Exactly, but when you send them it in a box and fully wrapped, no damage …Exactly, but when you send them it in a box and fully wrapped, no damage should get to the phone itself.Thanks for your replies, from now on, will go to store myself, they simply cannot be trusted.In the meantime, i'll be getting it sent back to me at their expense.

Good luck
Azwipe19/12/2019 23:13

Since when have CEX prices been dependent on box condition? Surely the box …Since when have CEX prices been dependent on box condition? Surely the box doesn't affect the item condition and they don't deal in new goods. Sounds like a scam.

I think it's true that they only accept boxes that aren't damaged.
I've been offered the B grade cash price for items that are in mint condition.

I've also traded in a tablet and they said that it needed testing, the customer service rep gave me a price of £17 (which was correct, matching the website offer price). I came back the next day and was served by someone else who said "so, £14 cash..." which made no sense because it doesn't even say that on their website (for any grade). I then said "They said £17 yesterday"... He then replied (without even to appear to check anything at all) "Ohh yeh, £17 cash"...
guru40419/12/2019 23:24

I've been offered the B grade cash price for items that are in mint …I've been offered the B grade cash price for items that are in mint condition.I've also traded in a tablet and they said that it needed testing, the customer service rep gave me a price of £17 (which was correct, matching the website offer price). I came back the next day and was served by someone else who said "so, £14 cash..." which made no sense because it doesn't even say that on their website (for any grade). I then said "They said £17 yesterday"... He then replied (without even to appear to check anything at all) "Ohh yeh, £17 cash"...

You will be offered B grade if you have no box or a damaged box and/or any missing accessories, even if the item is brand new.

A grade is only offered when the item is in a like new condition and has its original box and accessories.
Will2119/12/2019 22:31

It’s seems to be common practice with cex/music magpie. They just like t …It’s seems to be common practice with cex/music magpie. They just like trying their luck imo. Best to take in store to cex if ever selling

i don't know about cex as i have never sold anything there, but i have sold a few mobile phones to music magpie, and they have always paid what was agreed.

they are not the top payers but they process the sale quickly and pay the agreed price from my experience. i may have been lucky, but i will be selling my phones to them again in future.
JohnnyRoller19/12/2019 23:40

You will be offered B grade if you have no box or a damaged box and/or any …You will be offered B grade if you have no box or a damaged box and/or any missing accessories, even if the item is brand new.A grade is only offered when the item is in a like new condition and has its original box and accessories.

The box was mint, it was as it was when bought new. I only ever installed one game on it, and never used it.
Kind of OT, but I'm surprised CeX have consistently gone strong.

I mean a lot of games companies went into admin throughout the years (GAME 2012) as an example.

CeX have no sales, and in some cases charge near/the same price as new. I guess the 2yr warranty helps matters.
Be sure to contact trading standards your local MP and that old hag from Watchdog!
Just to add a little balance to the conversation, do consider that what might seem mint condition to a casual observer may not actually be mint in the eyes of a person trained to look at this stuff all day long. Mint should be as new, and often scratches, chips, dents etc that aren't particularly noticeable will make a difference to resale value.

I personally sold 2 items via post to CEX with both being paid at A grade in the last few months (AirPods and PS4). They were actually mint though and I had taken the time to clean them before sending and included everything that originally came with it. So I can say from personal experience that they do give out A prices via the post service.

The real controversy would be if they were paying people out lower grades then subsequently selling those same items at a higher grade (e.g. pay the seller a B grade price, but charge future buyers an A grade price). That would be really bad, but I haven't seen any evidence of that. If they're paying a lower grade to the seller but also selling at that same grade to future buyers, then regardless of whether you agree with their classification I don't think you can fairly consider it a scam.
Mike_HUKD20/12/2019 01:46

...The real controversy would be if they were paying people out lower …...The real controversy would be if they were paying people out lower grades then subsequently selling those same items at a higher grade (e.g. pay the seller a B grade price, but charge future buyers an A grade price). That would be really bad, but I haven't seen any evidence of that. If they're paying a lower grade to the seller but also selling at that same grade to future buyers, then regardless of whether you agree with their classification I don't think you can fairly consider it a scam.

Over the years in the many, many threads about CeX posted at this site, I have seen people complain that their mobile handsets have been 'downgraded' & then they recognised their same handset being re-sold by CeX at a higher grade.

Obviously, it is subjective about the grading of their own property prior to a sale to CeX & also if the item being offered for sale later is the same device, but the grading shift seems to happen in reverse; being sold a Grade A-advertised item & when it arrives the buyer belives it should have been classed as a lower Grade...

From 3 December this year:
[ hotukdeals.com/dis…111 ]

PS. A comment (in December 2018) from an ex-CeX tester:
[ hotukdeals.com/com…351 ]
I once bought a blu-ray burner, only the idiots kept sending a DVD burner with blu-ray read!. Took 3 goes (at their postage expense) to get it right as they simply didn't get the item right and couldn't understand the difference between blu-ray read & burn despite the website listing being clear!.
fanpages20/12/2019 03:10

Over the years in the many, many threads about CeX posted at this site, I …Over the years in the many, many threads about CeX posted at this site, I have seen people complain that their mobile handsets have been 'downgraded' & then they recognised their same handset being re-sold by CeX at a higher grade.Obviously, it is subjective about the grading of their own property prior to a sale to CeX & also if the item being offered for sale later is the same device, but the grading shift seems to happen in reverse; being sold a Grade A-advertised item & when it arrives the buyer belives it should have been classed as a lower Grade...From 3 December this year:[ https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/cex-grade-a-phones-3355111 ]PS. A comment (in December 2018) from an ex-CeX tester:[ https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/36382351 ]

Not sure of the relevance of the links. One is a complaint about the condition of a phone received and the other is an ex-tester talking about falling test standards, neither seem relevant to the assertion on CEX deliberately scamming people by giving Grade A products a lower rating falsely to minimise the purchase price.

I'm not saying it can't be true or that CEX don't make errors, just that all of the complaints on this thread are subjective and I've personally not seen any evidence to suggest a deliberate scam.
Mike_HUKD20/12/2019 04:05

Not sure of the relevance of the links. One is a complaint about the …Not sure of the relevance of the links. One is a complaint about the condition of a phone received and the other is an ex-tester talking about falling test standards,...

Yes, as I said in my reply.
fanpages20/12/2019 04:21

Yes, as I said in my reply.

Erm ok, I’m lost as to whether you agree or disagree with me
Mike_HUKD20/12/2019 04:39

Erm ok, I’m lost as to whether you agree or disagree with me

Probably because I didn't say.
Mike_HUKD20/12/2019 01:46

The real controversy would be if they were paying people out lower grades …The real controversy would be if they were paying people out lower grades then subsequently selling those same items at a higher grade (e.g. pay the seller a B grade price, but charge future buyers an A grade price). That would be really bad, but I haven't seen any evidence of that. If they're paying a lower grade to the seller but also selling at that same grade to future buyers, then regardless of whether you agree with their classification I don't think you can fairly consider it a scam.

This is exactly correct, which I know for a fact that every item I’ve taken in has been listed as the same grade they paid me for. It is subjective when grading a product, so there will never be a true consistency across different stores. Hence why you may be extremely happy with your purchase, or extremely disappointed.

The good thing about CeX is you can return the item in-store if you’re not satisfied with the condition. There is definitely no “scam” going on here, it is just people doing their job.
Let's take my example. They offered me £108 for A grade Blue Samsung Galaxy A10.
I send it packaged correctly against any possible damage, using their Postage Sending label.

Now they say "The box is damaged" and offering £75 as they want to class it as Grade B

CEX sell A Grade Galaxy A10 for £180, so there is nothing stopping them selling my handset at £105 profit, if they think sellers will just take their word for it when throwing you a flippant payment downgrade !!!!!

Another thing... CEX use Royal Mail, so if the box is damaged, therefore the packaging I would assume is also damaged, therefore they will be claiming for damages from Royal Mail as well... If that is the case, then I should get the Damages claim from Royal Mail, because as the Seller I am affected by their downgraded payment.

I never let anyone get away with any kind of injustice, so keep bringing on the comments because this issue needs to be highlighting for all to see.
Sharpharp20/12/2019 09:57

Let's take my example. They offered me £108 for A grade Blue Samsung …Let's take my example. They offered me £108 for A grade Blue Samsung Galaxy A10.I send it packaged correctly against any possible damage, using their Postage Sending label.Now they say "The box is damaged" and offering £75 as they want to class it as Grade BCEX sell A Grade Galaxy A10 for £180, so there is nothing stopping them selling my handset at £105 profit, if they think sellers will just take their word for it when throwing you a flippant payment downgrade !!!!!Another thing... CEX use Royal Mail, so if the box is damaged, therefore the packaging I would assume is also damaged, therefore they will be claiming for damages from Royal Mail as well... If that is the case, then I should get the Damages claim from Royal Mail, because as the Seller I am affected by their downgraded payment.I never let anyone get away with any kind of injustice, so keep bringing on the comments because this issue needs to be highlighting for all to see.

As harsh as it sounds, the solution is simple... Don’t send graded products via post, take them in store and only send non graded products via post.

You say “I send it packaged correctly against any possible damage”, unless you sent it in a steel box a courier can damage anything... especially a small mobile phone box. It doesn’t take much to crush something like that, regardless of the packaging you put it in.

I sold a limited edition Halo 5 game (huge box), which got damaged. I even wrapped the thing in a blanket and double boxed it, and put FRAGILE on the box... happens, couriers clearly couldn’t care less about the condition they deliver them in.
1 thing 1 store is selling a Dodgy stolen Amazon echo show 2nd generation in white. It has a rip, is graded as A but comes with a different box and no sleeve.
Now that store needs sorting out
Misslovely20/12/2019 11:32

1 thing 1 store is selling a Dodgy stolen Amazon echo show 2nd generation …1 thing 1 store is selling a Dodgy stolen Amazon echo show 2nd generation in white. It has a rip, is graded as A but comes with a different box and no sleeve. Now that store needs sorting out

It is the staff members in those stores that will get the backlash though, as the item will just end up being bought and returned. They will then have to either lower its grading or take it off sale. However they would have paid out on that as grade A prices.

There is a clear misconception about CeX grading lower and selling at a higher grade. This isn’t possible in the store (and I’m guessing the same via post), as they have to run it through the system with the barcode and then they give you a receipt showing the grade. I assume this is exactly the same when they process items sent to them through the post. Once the item has been graded and put into the system, then only that grade will appear as in stock on their database.
I sent them two Echo's in really good condition, grade A. The accessories had never even left the box and they'd been in skins since day 1. They sent me photos of two completely different scratched up echos and said they were grade c, and would be paid at the current grade C price which was less than half the price of grade c at the time I sent them nevermind the price of grade A. I took photos during packaging and sent them and disputed it. They never accepted it but said as good will they'd up the offer. I ended up getting slightly less than I should have but still a lot more than they tried.

I won't use them via post for buying or selling again.
Azwipe19/12/2019 23:13

Since when have CEX prices been dependent on box condition? Surely the box …Since when have CEX prices been dependent on box condition? Surely the box doesn't affect the item condition and they don't deal in new goods. Sounds like a scam.

Brand new box and accessories = A grade.
Damaged box is B grade.

I sold them a mi band and they gave me B grade due to the box having a small rip. Said it's not longer brand new condition and can't sell it "as new."
If the A-grade item has been downgraded due to box damage, then the Royal Mail claim should be given to the customer...
JohnnyRoller20/12/2019 12:21

It is the staff members in those stores that will get the backlash though, …It is the staff members in those stores that will get the backlash though, as the item will just end up being bought and returned. They will then have to either lower its grading or take it off sale. However they would have paid out on that as grade A prices.There is a clear misconception about CeX grading lower and selling at a higher grade. This isn’t possible in the store (and I’m guessing the same via post), as they have to run it through the system with the barcode and then they give you a receipt showing the grade. I assume this is exactly the same when they process items sent to them through the post. Once the item has been graded and put into the system, then only that grade will appear as in stock on their database.

I think someone sold a stolen one and reported after to Amazon that's its stolen. Got paid from cex and possibly insurance job
If CEX dictated your method of sending and paid for it and the box is damaged then surely you still get the full amount and CEX put in a claim of damage.
m1keyp1key20/12/2019 14:48

If CEX dictated your method of sending and paid for it and the box is …If CEX dictated your method of sending and paid for it and the box is damaged then surely you still get the full amount and CEX put in a claim of damage.

Exactly, so if you're thinking the same as me, not only are CEX shafting us for "claiming" the box is damaged and offering you the inferior downgraded Grade-B payment based on words alone, those bandits will likely be banging in a load of Royal Mail compo claims as well and trying to keep that cheque for themselves.... Not this time though, they haven't dealt with me before
Cex is such a poor place to sell to, the offers are poor anyhow & if you buy anything from them it's so high you may as well spend the extra to buy new.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions