Are CeX trying to scam me?

Posted 2nd Aug 2020
3517518-PUCmb.jpgI sold in a console I was quoted £90 and it was boxes and in good condition and then within 24 hours of testing they told me they regraded it to £37 and they sent me an email asking if I accepted, I declined and logged in and cancelled the sale, I got a cancellation confirmation and they sent me the payment and tried to keep the console, I indicated that I would take legal action then I get this message and they supposedly are now returning the console. I also sold in a Nintendo switch and an iPod and they arrived back scratched. Most recently I brought a grade B iPhone from them and the first one that arrived kept randomly turning off so I returned it and 4 weeks later I got a refund and the second iPhone that arrived had terrible screen burns and ghosting. I don’t believe that I can be the only person having issues with CeX? Are CeX trying to scam me with the pricing? The original price for the console was £90 for boxed console and it still had its manual, it had been tested before but they lied and said it had no serial number which was untrue so I complained and they retested it and then I feel they tried to scam me by grading it to the lowest unboxed grade possible? Then when I cancelled they tried to keep it until I said I would take legal action for breach of contract and now I’m getting it back. I feel they try to take advantage of good people who are desperate for cash. I’ve decided to keep the iPhone and get it repaired (new screen) and I am going to bill them for it and take legal action if need be
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
You’d think with all the issues you’ve had you’d have given up on them by now.
Edited by: "winzzz" 2nd Aug
15 Comments
I don’t know but this is why I wouldn’t post items. Go in & if they can’t grade there & then, take your items away & go back when they can.
Don't have much to add, but with the amount of things your selling just sell them on eBay.
You won’t have a chance trying to reclaim the money for a screen repair from them, if you’re unhappy with it or think it’s faulty, your contract is with cex, so they should be your first port of call to resolve the issue.
I'd say that I will be waiting for the atari before continuing this conversation, then I'd say I'd be charging them £37 for scratching the Nintendo Switch
You’d think with all the issues you’ve had you’d have given up on them by now.
Edited by: "winzzz" 2nd Aug
This is strictly my opinion, but you are either:

a) extremely unlucky or...

b) you are the type of person that buys low grade stuff and hopes for brand new items, and then swiftly returns everything that isn’t. You then try selling them your poor quality items and blame them for the damages that were already there...

You could quite easily be either of these (unfortunately there are too many b’s around), but I personally have always had great experiences with CeX. Also as others have said, go into their stores and don’t rely on the poor postal options we have.
I had a different opinion to yourself regarding Cex but I went into the store and sold the stuff there. It takes about half an hour to get tested and if they grade it lower, u can decide if you want to sell it or not.
On the similar note, I tried to sell Samsung S6 to Cex 6 months ago. The quoted £65, I agreed but mobile failed testing as they said the speakers are not working properly.
I took the phone back. I took it again to CEX store recently and they quoted me £80 for the same mobile. It passed testing as well.
So it can be hit or miss, depending on which staff member is dealing with u.
Best of luck to u. Hope u get it sorted.
Edited by: "doorswitch" 2nd Aug
Never go online for trade ins. You wont get anything if you try to bill them for repair too

Keep the console when it comes back and dont send them back the £37
doorswitch02/08/2020 14:44

I had a different opinion to yourself regarding Cex but I went into the …I had a different opinion to yourself regarding Cex but I went into the store and sold the stuff there. It takes about half an hour to get tested and if they grade it lower, u can decide if you want to sell it or not.On the similar note, I tried to sell Samsung S6 to Cex 6 months ago. The quoted £65, I agreed but mobile failed testing as they said the speakers are not working properly.I took the phone back. I took it again to CEX store recently and they quoted me £80 for the same mobile. It passed testing as well.So it can be hit or miss, depending on which staff member is dealing with u.Best of luck to u. Hope u get it sorted.

I sent them 4 old ipads, seemed to me to be working fine, no scratches on screen. They were all returned as faulty
Why would you pay for a new screen when it has 2 year warranty? You should have just gone instore for a refund or repair
OP seems unlucky or reckless or both. Stop using them if this is your experience. Post pics of your devices before you sent them in for testing - this may help your cause.

never had an issue selling, and have never purchased anything from them.
Yep never trust them by sending anything by post, always go into store
I sold them a brand new PS Vita when they first came out, it was brand new and sealed and they graded it a B

2 years ago I took a Amazon Echo Dot, think I was quoted £32, when I went back an hour later after testing they said £19... I was like wow wow wow, wait a second it's in black and white here you said £32, the lad said the prices change at dinner time! I said well that's not my fault! kicked up a fuss, asked to speak to the manager, he wouldn't see me but just said give him the £32
Had a couple of iphones they gradded as A but when I went back to collect payment they dropped both to B so significantly less. However, far better than the hassle of selling on ebay
Even if it means it will take up a lot of time you won’t loose out from going into store they will not mess you around while you are in front of there faces and if they try to just walk off with your stuff and wish them bye !
Post a comment
@
    Text