Are current Star Wars Lego sets are a worthwile investment?

Found 14th Feb 2016
With discontinued Star Wars Lego sets fetching ridiculous sums of money on eBay I was wondering if current sets were a worthwhile investment? I was looking at the following:

75105 Millennium Falcon
75094 Imperial Shuttle Tydirium
75101 First Order Special Forces TIE fighter
75054 AT-AT

My safety net is that if they don't turn out to be worthwhile investments in a few years I could give them to my nephews as birthday / Christmas presents.

8 Comments

The ones that become valuable are the ones that aren't popular because everyone will have the others, check out the original sets and you'll see that the less popular ones are 10+ times more valuable

Too many people buying Starwars items thinking there going to be worth a fortune in the future. When Starwars came out people didn't know how much of a phenomenal success it was going to be so they brought the toys for children to play with that's why it's a rarity to find the original toys boxed in mint condition and that's why they command such good money and a great investment but now every man and his dog is buying for investment so in the future there will be shed loads of Starwars Lego etc the market will be flooded for a long long time.

Original Poster

The Star Wars sets such as the Death Star, Millenium Falcon, Super Star Destroyer are from the Ultimate Collector Series not from when the original Trilogy came out. I'm not sure how many people are now buying for an investment but I still get the impression that its still possible to do well out of it.

__j_a_m_i_e_

Too many people buying Starwars items thinking there going to be worth a … Too many people buying Starwars items thinking there going to be worth a fortune in the future. When Starwars came out people didn't know how much of a phenomenal success it was going to be so they brought the toys for children to play with that's why it's a rarity to find the original toys boxed in mint condition and that's why they command such good money and a great investment but now every man and his dog is buying for investment so in the future there will be shed loads of Starwars Lego etc the market will be flooded for a long long time.

Edited by: "DistortedVision" 15th Feb 2016

I imagine that there'll be new releases of these every couple of years for a while to tie in to the new trilogy releases, so you'll need to be looking quite a way into the future before any appreciable increase in value.
Edited by: "IndianaBlues" 15th Feb 2016

millennium fallcon will be an investment and to think they went to 25 quid at tesco .....

Original Poster

Set 75105 was £25 at Tesco???

What return would you realistically expect to see from these and how long would you have to wait before you saw a return?

Surely any advice given on their future worth is purely speculative.

Its a risky investment in my opinion. I use the word 'investment' loosely.

Edited by: "RossD89" 16th Feb 2016

Original Poster

Do you think any of these look worth buying at full RRP as investments:

Lego Star Wars Slave I 75060
Lego Star Wars Tie Fighter 75095
Lego Star Wars Ewok Village 10236

They all look well overpriced to me. But I think they are soon to be retired sets?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions