Found 8th Feb
Hello, I was wondering whether you guys thought dash cams were worth it. My car sits in a supermarket car park all day and I only do around 10000 miles a year. Was wondering if it was worth me investing in a dash cam for my car and if you lot think they are any good?

Thanks

1. Ask
  2. Dash Cam
36 Comments

I don't have one - but when someone ran a red light to go into me, another motorist sent me their footage, and I sent it on to the insurance company when the man changed his story and said it wasn't on red - footage showed it clearly was. So it can be very helpful in clarifying a knock.

One of those things when you need it its obviously worth it, then again you may never be in an accident and not have the need for it. Pretty sure there's wierd laws about using footage recorded in court etc anyway

Cheap way of showing who is at fault.

lindzio

Hello, I was wondering whether you guys thought dash cams were … Hello, I was wondering whether you guys thought dash cams were worth it. My car sits in a supermarket car park all day and I only do around 10000 miles a year. Was wondering if it was worth me investing in a dash cam for my car and if you lot think they are any good? Thanks

Do you have full insurance cover or just third party?
If its third party only, why bother

Original Poster

I have full insurance and a 14 plate fiesta

Never had and never would buy one.

In the last six months I've had three different flatbeds with insecure loads in front of me. One kicked out a bucket, one a selection of logs and one a WHEELBARROW all of which came bouncing towards me. Even if you have a camera I would advise keeping good distance between yourself and anything that looks like its carrying stuff.

Rimi

Never had and never would buy one.

Because you haven't got a car..right?

If you are in the right then definitely, if in the wrong then don't bother. Have you ever wished you had it installed just once then buy one

I've never had one, mind you I drive this for a living:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/db/0e/6a/db0e6a32ba007fb33eb248f9d5e9e6be.jpg

No brainer imo...you can get a decent one for £20/30 off amazon, now imagine you have some **** next Tuesday slam on their breaks in front of you hoping you smash em up the backside (Not in a good way) how are you going to prove there was nothing in front of them?

Cost you a lot more than £30!!!

Edited by moderator: "." 8th Feb

With the mileage you do would say its worth it and with them cheap and capable they are now.Can see a problem in that if an accident is your fault can the footage your camera shot be used against you?

If you want a camera to run all day you may need to have it wired into the car power supply as mine only switches on when the ignition is on.

You may never need one , BUT, sods law says that somewhere sometime you will wish you had got one. As the old saying goes....you pays your money you takes your chances.....or not as the case may be.

philhib1964

Because you haven't got a car..right?

Because I have brain, pal.

morrig

....problem in that if an accident is your fault can the footage your … ....problem in that if an accident is your fault can the footage your camera shot be used against you?

Exactly. And with such low miles of 10k, there is no point to have one. I am travelling all across EU 2-3 times a year and doing 30k+ a year, still have no need for it.

Rimi

I'm sure nobody doubts that anatomically all your parts are in place. however, having one isn't the same as using it.

Rimi

Exactly. And with such low miles of 10k, there is no point to have one. I … Exactly. And with such low miles of 10k, there is no point to have one. I am travelling all across EU 2-3 times a year and doing 30k+ a year, still have no need for it.

Rubbish. An accident can happen at any time whether you do 10 or 50,000 miles per year. Assuming any accident which happens isn't actually your fault, that's when the dash cam comes in handy.

You might be the greatest driver in the world but that won't stop somebody ramming into you then claiming some untruth to justify it. Without evidence, your no-claims bonus is screwed at the very least.

Worth every penny, just proves how many a**e holes are on the road. Doesn't matter how many miles you do , some idiot can run into at anytime. When it comes to your word against there's it's all the evidence you need and insurance companies are now using them as evidence. God forbid a child ran out in front of you , no witnesses, how do you prove you where not at fault ? The list goes on...
No need to hardwire them into your car, mine is in the cigar lighter and powers on when I start the car up. One of my best buys..

Rimi

Exactly. And with such low miles of 10k, there is no point to have one. I … Exactly. And with such low miles of 10k, there is no point to have one. I am travelling all across EU 2-3 times a year and doing 30k+ a year, still have no need for it.

I've done 7,000 miles this year and:

In the last six months I've had three different flatbeds with insecure loads in front of me. One kicked out a bucket, one a selection of logs and one a WHEELBARROW all of which came bouncing towards me. Even if you have a camera I would advise keeping good distance between yourself and anything that looks like its carrying stuff.

Your point is totally flawed, accidents etc are totally random and not really linked to total mileage done, although high mileage may change the odds. How many people have bought brand new cars and written them off before they get home. I know two people who have done that.

Edited by: "philhib1964" 8th Feb

Oh I don't know why these aren't made compulsary yet!!! I have a front and rear one. Far too many idiots on the road, think of it as added protection for you in the event of an accident. It is a witness that doesn't lie!

Rimi

Sounds like you don't bother with insurance either. Only reason i can think of why anyone wouldnt want them, or because they are such a bad driver they wouldnt want it used against them!
Edited by: "118luke" 8th Feb

Rimi

Must be quite a small one though.:|

Sitting in a carpark all day you are most likely to get parking dings.
Park under the supermarket cctv so at least you can have a chance of seeing who did it.

Funny how people who have them think they're better driver than others. I love it when it's the camera car that causes the accident in those YouTube clips.

If it wasn't for dashcams there would only be cat videos to watch on YouTube! X)

Or it could be the value of there cars.. some are not cheap to fix !! Anyone can have a accident camera or not !

118luke

Sounds like you don't bother with insurance either. Only reason i can … Sounds like you don't bother with insurance either. Only reason i can think of why anyone wouldnt want them, or because they are such a bad driver they wouldnt want it used against them!

I dont. In my 45 years I have never ever had anything serious..had few accidents at home and with my car, but they cost me 20X cheaper to fix that it would be premiums paid. You people loosing too many money on these insurances, but can't blame you..I am from another country here and look to many things different...

Rimi

I dont. In my 45 years I have never ever had anything serious..had few … I dont. In my 45 years I have never ever had anything serious..had few accidents at home and with my car, but they cost me 20X cheaper to fix that it would be premiums paid. You people loosing too many money on these insurances, but can't blame you..I am from another country here and look to many things different...

​You don't have insurance?

If Rimi genuinely doesn't have insurance, then he/she can look forward to being picked up using number plate recognition that commonly operates now to catch road-fund dodgers (now that visible discs are no longer used).

No insurance, no road fund, no MOT? Is the car stolen? Has this person even bothered taking a driving test? It makes me despair when the rest of use tow the line year after year.

And if someone causes an accident where a person loses their health/job/livelihood, I somehow don't think they'd be able or willing to pay out the hundreds of thousands that it'll cost to manage their quality of life, for the rest of their life.

BTW, I do have a sense of humour, however this sort of **** irritates me. If you cannot or are not willing to afford the costs associated with driving a car (and obviously I realise these are climbing year on year, probably for this exact reason!!!) then catch the bus or train and keep these services funded and running.

It just takes one idiot to cause you lots of pain and potential heartache whether you are fully comp or third party, whether you only drive 10 miles a week or 20,000 a year

And with todays driving standards and the possibility of crash for cash £50 or thereabouts is a small price to protect your 2nd biggest investment

I've got a new PCX 125 and the camera was purchased before I got the gear and bike but then I'm at more risk than everyday motorised road users

And I don't go out without it (even carry battery backup and spare camera just in case << sports action camera 4k from £25 with helmet mount)

it doesn't matter if your annual mileage is high or low the dashcam is like having your own personal witness in the passenger seat and the footage is always brilliant depending on the camera you get I always recommend getting 1 that's at least 1080p

They are definately worth it!
I didn't have one till about 2 months ago.. 2 weeks after set it up, an idiot drove into me from the side while she was changing lanes obviously not looking! Causing £500 worth of damage.
She claimed it was not her fault, thats until I sent the video in to the insurance company.
Even though it did not show the actual impact as its a front dash cam, they assessed my lane discipline and deemed her as the one at fault.
And like people have been saying.. it does not matter if you drive 10 or 10k miles.. theres far too many idiots on the road. Would never drive without one again.

Rimi is a perfect example of why you need dash cameras. Driving without insurance, statistics approve that Someone driving without insurance is far more likely to do a hit and run to avoid being caught. Least with a dash cam you can prove to the police to aid in prosecution.

Im a new driver and really want to get one but haven't got the slightest clue as to wiring them in the car.

I see mobius is the most obscure one but is there anyway to have it working without a ugly wire in the middle?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…4176
    2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247616
    3. Limited quantities of STRAFE® and SHADOW WARRIOR 2 for sale @ Special Reser…46
    4. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland3275

See more discussions