Are Easyjet in trouble? Suspiciously generous offer...

Posted 23rd Apr
I have a flight booked from Glasgow to Belfast at the end of May. I received an email today from Easyjet to say they have not yet cancelled the flight however want to make an offer to me.... If I didn't want to go on my flight (which will likely be cancelled) then they offer me:
a) a refund (£40pp/£80 total)
b) a £90 voucher to use within a year
c) a transfer to any flight, to any destination for free - no fare difference.

Option C just seems very generous? That I can switch a £40 flight for a flight to anywhere with Easyjet? The catch is if the transferred flight is cancelled you get no refund. It makes me think - either they're in trouble and they might not last til the transferred flight or that they know something that we don't - i.e. don't plan to fly before the end of the year.

Any thoughts? Maybe I'm just sceptical!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Take the cash
Edited by: "harrythefish" 23rd Apr
amurray8823/04/2020 20:14

Yep - I was stuck in the airport for 5 hours at the start of March with …Yep - I was stuck in the airport for 5 hours at the start of March with Easyjet and they gave me a £3 food voucher, not sure they're well known for generous offers.

£3 in an airport?! I hope you didn’t spend it all at once
41 Comments
I think you’re right to be sceptical, as the old saying goes “if it’s sounds to good to be true...” you know the rest!
ChelseaRae23/04/2020 20:12

I think you’re right to be sceptical, as the old saying goes “if it’s sound …I think you’re right to be sceptical, as the old saying goes “if it’s sounds to good to be true...” you know the rest!

Yep - I was stuck in the airport for 5 hours at the start of March with Easyjet and they gave me a £3 food voucher, not sure they're well known for generous offers.

Yep - I was stuck in the airport for 5 hours at the start of March with …Yep - I was stuck in the airport for 5 hours at the start of March with Easyjet and they gave me a £3 food voucher, not sure they're well known for generous offers.

In terms of easyJet, that £3 voucher was generous
Take the cash
Edited by: "harrythefish" 23rd Apr
I think airlines are in a bit of bother at the moment. The more actual cash they can keep right now the better... there are thousands of customers out there asking for refunds and some airlines are waiting for funds back from hotels (e.g. easyJet holidays), some are just short of cash as they have planes and assets sitting around not earning anything. easyJet also had a large order in for some additional planes which they need to find the money from somewhere!

The third option does sound suspicious though - I suppose there is probably going to be limitations on which flights you can use them on too, and so one or two extra bodies on a plane full of other customers paying full whack won't be too much of an issue for them.
CrashOverride23/04/2020 20:20

I think airlines are in a bit of bother at the moment. The more actual …I think airlines are in a bit of bother at the moment. The more actual cash they can keep right now the better... there are thousands of customers out there asking for refunds and some airlines are waiting for funds back from hotels (e.g. easyJet holidays), some are just short of cash as they have planes and assets sitting around not earning anything. easyJet also had a large order in for some additional planes which they need to find the money from somewhere!The third option does sound suspicious though - I suppose there is probably going to be limitations on which flights you can use them on too, and so one or two extra bodies on a plane full of other customers paying full whack won't be too much of an issue for them.

Just to clarify - they've said we can pick any flight at all as long as we email them by 1st May - so absolutely no limitations on the flights we can pick. So strange
amurray8823/04/2020 20:24

Just to clarify - they've said we can pick any flight at all as long as we …Just to clarify - they've said we can pick any flight at all as long as we email them by 1st May - so absolutely no limitations on the flights we can pick. So strange

Very strange! I do wonder if there are still only one or two seats per flight, but I think you're right to be suspicious!
The email is long but probably the easiest wee passage to sum it up...

"Your booking falls within one of our peak periods, so as an exclusive offer, we’re giving you the opportunity to now transfer your flight to anywhere across Europe, at any time, for free. This means that with maximum peace of mind you can transfer onto any of our school holiday, public holiday or peak flights without having to pay any fare difference. "
ChelseaRae23/04/2020 20:15

Managed to buy a shot of latte in Starbucks.
Just take the refund.
If you’re in no real need for the cash then go for the swap. Worst case you’ll lose the £80. If you can afford it, then to me it’s a gamble worth taking...assuming you want a flight somewhere else of course!
Diggsy23/04/2020 21:40

If you’re in no real need for the cash then go for the swap. Worst case y …If you’re in no real need for the cash then go for the swap. Worst case you’ll lose the £80. If you can afford it, then to me it’s a gamble worth taking...assuming you want a flight somewhere else of course!

That's possibly my thoughts - there's a lot of places that we would typically think twice about because of the price of flights so possibly worth a punt.
Wonder if Lanzarote will be opened in time for the October school break....
I'm not sure how the Option C - 'Cancelled flight, no refund' is legal. Do you waive your rights to refund (and compensation) if you choose this option. Seems bizarre. @simoncalder on the Twitter would be a good man to ask. He has probably been asked the question already.

I'd suspect anyone expecting to go anywhere this summer may well be being overly optimistic.
Edited by: "Dennis.Bell" 23rd Apr
Dennis.Bell23/04/2020 21:49

I'm not sure how the Option C - 'Cancelled flight, no refund' is legal. Do …I'm not sure how the Option C - 'Cancelled flight, no refund' is legal. Do you waive your rights to refund (and compensation) if you choose this option. Seems bizarre. @simoncalder on the Twitter would be a good man to ask. He has probably been asked the question already.I'd suspect anyone expecting to go anywhere this summer may well be being overly optimistic.

Yes I did wonder the legal aspects of this. Great shout with Simon Calder - will do that now.
I can understand is Easyjet said if cancelled you'll only be entitled to the refund amount of the original flight but I agree, seems very suspect.
All airlines are in trouble.
reminds me of that old saying, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, or something like that
Cash flow .
Take the Dosh, they may not be here in a couple of weeks!!!
Dennis.Bell23/04/2020 21:49

I'm not sure how the Option C - 'Cancelled flight, no refund' is legal. Do …I'm not sure how the Option C - 'Cancelled flight, no refund' is legal. Do you waive your rights to refund (and compensation) if you choose this option. Seems bizarre. @simoncalder on the Twitter would be a good man to ask. He has probably been asked the question already.I'd suspect anyone expecting to go anywhere this summer may well be being overly optimistic.

I contacted Simon Calder - not sure if he has a department working for him or if it's him but either way they got back in an incredibly quick time (4mins!)...a few comments to show it's not automated and then asking me to forward the email.
Bandicoot23/04/2020 22:25

Cash flow .

What cash? They have to refund all the flights that haven't happened over the last 6 weeks. They have no money
Spizzenergi23/04/2020 22:27

Take the Dosh, they may not be here in a couple of weeks!!!

I haIf agree with you....but can you really imagine (and I hope I'm not being naïve) a world where Easyjet goes bust? I can fully understand the Monarchs, Flybe and all that...but Easyjet?
amurray8823/04/2020 22:28

I haIf agree with you....but can you really imagine (and I hope I'm not …I haIf agree with you....but can you really imagine (and I hope I'm not being naïve) a world where Easyjet goes bust? I can fully understand the Monarchs, Flybe and all that...but Easyjet?

4weeks ago I couldn't really imagine not being allowed to drive to work; or not being allowed to drive my son to University or having to move out of the way of people walking towards me on narrow paths or clapping at 2000hrs every Thursday with the rest of the UK, or NHS/Carers dying from doing their job.

Just saying.....
They emailed me similar but for me they didn't give a refund option - only choices are voucher or any flight reschedule
I think you're reading too much into this. The travel industry is going to be hit massively when everything goes back to "normal" air fair will be cheap as chips when we come out of lockdown as they will struggle to sell seats. and the chances are you could get a flight to any of easyjet destinations for the price you've paid. We aren't talking about Emirates going to Australia or dubai for example this is easyjet who only fly around Europe and a couple of African countries which are cheap to fly to with any airline
Edited by: "MonkeyMan90" 23rd Apr
Simon Calder responded very quickly. Wording from easyJet...

"Bookings transferred or issued with vouchers will not be eligible for a refund in the event of flight cancellation.

Simon said this only refers to if I cancel the flight, not them....
MonkeyMan9023/04/2020 22:55

I think you're reading too much into this. The travel industry is going to …I think you're reading too much into this. The travel industry is going to be hit massively when everything goes back to "normal" air fair will be cheap as chips when we come out of lockdown as they will struggle to sell seats. and the chances are you could get a flight to any of easyjet destinations for the price you've paid. We aren't talking about Emirates going to Australia or dubai for example this is easyjet who only fly around Europe and a couple of African countries which are cheap to fly to with any airline

I'm not sure - flights to Tenerife during school holidays for £35 return?
Anthony_Murray23/04/2020 22:58

I'm not sure - flights to Tenerife during school holidays for £35 return?

That won't be possible because most European countries are closing their borders anyway. Both Spain and Italy are closing borders until 2021. The flight choice will be extremely limited. Plus like what I said earlier. People just won't want to travel for at least 12 month.
EasyJet paid me £73 when my luggage was delayed for 12hrs back in 2016 in Morocco. Thought that was very generous.
Anthony_Murray23/04/2020 22:57

Simon Calder responded very quickly. Wording from easyJet..."Bookings …Simon Calder responded very quickly. Wording from easyJet..."Bookings transferred or issued with vouchers will not be eligible for a refund in the event of flight cancellation.Simon said this only refers to if I cancel the flight, not them....

That makes more sense.

I flew to Canary Islands last year we was 3 hours into the flight with only 1 hour until landing but a fault on the plane happened so we was flown back to Gatwick and was stuck in the airport for 7 hours and given £3 voucher I can’t even buy a boots meal deal with that
On the EasyJet COVID 19 hub it states if your flight is booked through EasyJet and due to fly in the next 7 days

1. Change your flight

Because your flight has been cancelled, you can transfer for free onto any other flight within our network up until April 2021. You won’t be charged a change fee or fare difference. This means that you can transfer onto flights to our most popular destinations during peak periods, free of charge. From Malaga in September to skiing in half-term or German Christmas markets…Change to any flight, any time, for free.
I am assuming option C is because you have a single flight booked, lets assume that you wanted to make the most of the offer you could theoretically use it to travel to America for £40. What you have to remember is you still have to Return which is going to cost you the normal cost. What company would you use to book the Return flight. I have a feeling this offer will only be open to anyone who has a one way flight.
regretful124/04/2020 12:00

I am assuming option C is because you have a single flight booked, lets …I am assuming option C is because you have a single flight booked, lets assume that you wanted to make the most of the offer you could theoretically use it to travel to America for £40. What you have to remember is you still have to Return which is going to cost you the normal cost. What company would you use to book the Return flight. I have a feeling this offer will only be open to anyone who has a one way flight.

Nope - it's a return flight so I exchange it for a return flight. Obviously America is out of the question as it's Easyjet but most expensive I could find is £750 return to Greece in October.... that would be free to change to. Seems so strange.
Can you change the name on the tickets still under the T&C's, if you wasn't planning on going anywhere and not planning on using them you maybe able to maximise the offer by selling on the tickets to the new destination.
regretful124/04/2020 13:11

Can you change the name on the tickets still under the T&C's, if you …Can you change the name on the tickets still under the T&C's, if you wasn't planning on going anywhere and not planning on using them you maybe able to maximise the offer by selling on the tickets to the new destination.

Ah interesting, I hadn't thought of that. There is no mention in the T&C's...I have no idea although it's a great suggestion!
40523954-yaMnW.jpgI'm famous!
Anthony_Murray23/04/2020 22:57

Simon Calder responded very quickly. Wording from easyJet..."Bookings …Simon Calder responded very quickly. Wording from easyJet..."Bookings transferred or issued with vouchers will not be eligible for a refund in the event of flight cancellation.Simon said this only refers to if I cancel the flight, not them....

What's the basis for this in black and white?

The normal interpretation of the phrase "flight cancellation" is that the flight - not the individual booking - is cancelled.
pmx125/04/2020 12:33

What's the basis for this in black and white?The normal interpretation of …What's the basis for this in black and white?The normal interpretation of the phrase "flight cancellation" is that the flight - not the individual booking - is cancelled.

I think (don't know) that he is basing it on the possibility of it being illegal for them to cancel and not refund
Anthony_Murray25/04/2020 19:41

I think (don't know) that he is basing it on the possibility of it being …I think (don't know) that he is basing it on the possibility of it being illegal for them to cancel and not refund

Would be useful to have something from him on this, as it makes all the difference.

(Bit weird too running it as an "exclusive", when hundreds if not thousands of us received the email!!)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions