Are event tickets puchased through eBay/Paypal covered if they don't arrive?

Found 13th Mar 2012
Finding conflicting information online but mostly it seems they are - just wanted to check if anyone knows from experience.

This is for tickets in hand, not pre-sale tickets

Thanks x
Community Updates
Misc
19 Comments
Yes, I had some that the guy sent recorded delivery but they turned up a day late. I got a full refund.
SpideyPunk

Yes, I had some that the guy sent recorded delivery but they turned up a … Yes, I had some that the guy sent recorded delivery but they turned up a day late. I got a full refund.

Thank you
Often the problem is that the sellers sell the tickets 2+ months before the concert/event date.
Sellers won't have the tickets 'in hand' at that point and paypal only covers payments up to 45 days from sending the money so if the scamming seller doesn't send the ticket often it's too late to put in a paypal dispute.
Oh, ignore what I said, I just saw you put for tickets 'in hand'.
I'd ask for the original ticket email confirmation so you know that the tickets are genuine.
sickly sweet

Oh, ignore what I said, I just saw you put for tickets 'in hand'.I'd ask … Oh, ignore what I said, I just saw you put for tickets 'in hand'.I'd ask for the original ticket email confirmation so you know that the tickets are genuine.

Thanks SS, I am actually the seller - I sold some tickets yesterday but stated that I want to send the tickets through the post as well as via email before the event on Monday 19th March (so I have tracking info for Paypal). The buyer did a 'buy it now' but then didn't pay so I emailed him to request payment and reiterate that I need to send through the post. Buyer messaged me back today lunchtime and said he will pay by 10pm tonight cos he was using his iPhone (so he could have paid when he messaged me). So 10pm has gone and when I have gone to check out his eBay ID, it seems that he is buying up these tickets and then relisting them on eBay for a high profit! He hasn't listed my tickets yet so I think he is waiting to see how his current listings get on before paying me - which leaves me in a predicament now as I don't want to end up being stuck with the tickets (OH cant make it due to work commitments :()
That's why I wanted to check if he can try a funny thing with Paypal if I only have time to get the tickets emailed to him by the time he pays me. I am worried that if he ends up stuck with the tickets he will try something
I was thinking to email him saying that he needs to pay by 5pm tomorrow or I won't deal with him...
sickly sweet

Often the problem is that the sellers sell the tickets 2+ months before … Often the problem is that the sellers sell the tickets 2+ months before the concert/event date.Sellers won't have the tickets 'in hand' at that point and paypal only covers payments up to 45 days from sending the money so if the scamming seller doesn't send the ticket often it's too late to put in a paypal dispute.

Let's assume the seller is a registered business seller and not Tony_the_Tout. If you use a credit card to fund the Paypal payment, and seller fails to deliver, you can always use Section 75 of CCA to claim your money back via your card company. For more information click here.
Unfortunately buyers have four days to pay, then you need to open a case and wait another few days until a non paid item case closes. You could send a cancelation and see if he cancels so you can get your fees back but if he declines then you wont. You could re-list but then you could end up with two buyers and two sets of fees to pay. If i was you i would pull his details out and give him a call instead, you have til the latest saturday to send the tickets (need to be spent special delivery to be covered by royal mail).
Mrs.Z

Thanks SS, I am actually the seller - I sold some tickets yesterday but … Thanks SS, I am actually the seller - I sold some tickets yesterday but stated that I want to send the tickets through the post as well as via email before the event on Monday 19th March (so I have tracking info for Paypal). The buyer did a 'buy it now' but then didn't pay so I emailed him to request payment and reiterate that I need to send through the post. Buyer messaged me back today lunchtime and said he will pay by 10pm tonight cos he was using his iPhone (so he could have paid when he messaged me). So 10pm has gone and when I have gone to check out his eBay ID, it seems that he is buying up these tickets and then relisting them on eBay for a high profit! He hasn't listed my tickets yet so I think he is waiting to see how his current listings get on before paying me - which leaves me in a predicament now as I don't want to end up being stuck with the tickets (OH cant make it due to work commitments :()That's why I wanted to check if he can try a funny thing with Paypal if I only have time to get the tickets emailed to him by the time he pays me. I am worried that if he ends up stuck with the tickets he will try something :(I was thinking to email him saying that he needs to pay by 5pm tomorrow or I won't deal with him...

What ever you do, always send you goods by recorded delivery because in the event of the buyer raising a dispute with Paypal, for non-receipt of goods, the seller will be able to provide Paypal with proof of delivery.
thanks guys - they are etickets so i am not bothered about sending special delivery, i just want proof that they've got there. I wish i had made the auction that they had to pay straight away - would have solved all this hassle! I would rather take a negative feedback than risk losing the money so was thinking to relist them tomorrow (if he doesn't pay) as 'cash on collection' only or try gumtree or something. Might give him a call if i am feeling brave enough, maybe if i send him another harsher email and request his contact details through ebay, that might give him the kick he needs to sort it out
thanks guys - they are etickets so i am not bothered about sending special delivery, i just want proof that they've got there. I wish i had made the auction that they had to pay straight away - would have solved all this hassle! I would rather take a negative feedback than risk losing the money so was thinking to relist them tomorrow (if he doesn't pay) as 'cash on collection' only or try gumtree or something. Might give him a call if i am feeling brave enough, maybe if i send him another harsher email and request his contact details through ebay, that might give him the kick he needs to sort it out
Mrs.Z

thanks guys - they are etickets so i am not bothered about sending … thanks guys - they are etickets so i am not bothered about sending special delivery, i just want proof that they've got there. I wish i had made the auction that they had to pay straight away - would have solved all this hassle! I would rather take a negative feedback than risk losing the money so was thinking to relist them tomorrow (if he doesn't pay) as 'cash on collection' only or try gumtree or something. Might give him a call if i am feeling brave enough, maybe if i send him another harsher email and request his contact details through ebay, that might give him the kick he needs to sort it out

If he doesn't pay all he gets is an unpaid mark for 6 months, no biggie to him. Call them or request cancellation, if no joy relist them as sounds like a time waster
Mrs.Z

thanks guys - they are etickets so i am not bothered about sending … thanks guys - they are etickets so i am not bothered about sending special delivery, i just want proof that they've got there. I wish i had made the auction that they had to pay straight away - would have solved all this hassle! I would rather take a negative feedback than risk losing the money so was thinking to relist them tomorrow (if he doesn't pay) as 'cash on collection' only or try gumtree or something. Might give him a call if i am feeling brave enough, maybe if i send him another harsher email and request his contact details through ebay, that might give him the kick he needs to sort it out

Hello again.I really don't want to be a bother (and I wouldn't usually) … Hello again.I really don't want to be a bother (and I wouldn't usually) but I am emailing you again as I have still not received payment for the tickets.I am only willing to complete this deal on the premise that I will have time to send the tickets to you through the post, otherwise I will have to withdraw from the sale in order to protect myself.I see that you seem to be purchasing these tickets in the hope of making a significant profit on them. I haven't got a problem with this but I am not willing to wait until you see how well the tickets you've already got sell before you decide whether you feel like paying. I am fully aware that you could have easily made the payment on your iPhone whilst you were messaging me.On the basis that you have had ample opportunity to pay me and have chosen not to so far, I kindly request that you make payment by 5pm tomorrow (Wednesday 14th March) so that I can send the tickets out to you, otherwise I will cancel the transaction. I am sorry if this seems harsh to you but I would rather take a negative feedback than risk being stuck with the tickets.

I was happy they sold so quickly as I only listed them yesterday less than an hour before he bought them, but from looking at his activity he does seem like a timewaster

I have written up this email quickly to send him:

I don't know if I am being overly harsh but I am a bit p'eed that he seems to be judging his chances before deciding whether it's worth paying me. He already has one set of tickets listed for the same day as mine

And then also request his contact details through eBay to hopefully give him an extra push.
I realise that I can't actually cancel the transaction yet but if I did end up with 2 buyers eBay can't force me to send the tickets to both buyers, can they? The tickets were only cheap so if I lost out on them it wouldn't be a biggie as I am more gutted that I am not able to go, but the tickets are selling for a bit more than face value so if I can get any money back on them it would be most helpful as we have a baby due in June

Edited by: "Mrs.Z" 13th Mar 2012

I am sorry if this seems harsh to you but I would rather take a negative … I am sorry if this seems harsh to you but I would rather take a negative feedback than risk being stuck with the tickets.

I wouldn't have put that in, thats pretty much saying 'neg me'.
Is he registered as a business seller?
thanks colin, perhaps i will leave that bit out then as i didn't send it yet. He isn't a business seller
thanks colin, perhaps i will leave that bit out then as i didn't send it yet. He isn't a business seller
if he plays funny, tell him you're going to report him for being a business seller to ebay and HMRC, might not do any good but watch him **** himself
They cant force you to sell to two people, but you will have to pay two sets of fees and probably get negative feedback from someone. So if they sold for £30 then your going to have to pay £6 in final value fees unless you can get one cancelled.

Thanks again everyone, I emailed the buyer and told him he needed to pay by 5pm yesterday or I would relist. Didn't hear anything back at all so put them on again and another buyer bought them and paid this morning, so sent the tickets Special Delivery.

First buyer hasn't left me a negative feedback yet but I expect he will at some stage I will wait until Monday night/Tuesday and then request to cancel the transaction through eBay to try and get my first lot of fees back.
colinsunderland

if he plays funny, tell him you're going to report him for being a … if he plays funny, tell him you're going to report him for being a business seller to ebay and HMRC, might not do any good but watch him **** himself

Ooh like it *insert evil smiley*
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions