Expired

Are Henry vacuum cleaners overhyped?

Found 5th Aug 2014
Hi, I am thinking of purchasing a new vacuum cleaner (possibly a Henry one), but want to know are they really that good, or are they just overhyped?

It will mainly be used on carpets. One of my concerns with a Henry though, is that the maximum power it has is only 1200W, when my current Vax one is 1800W. Is 1200W powerful enough on a carpet?
Community Updates
AskVacuum Cleaners
20 Comments
had henry for a while does what it needs to do on hard floors and carpet with two dogs had no probs

they are superb using the nossle in the car etc....but still can't beat an upright on carpet
Henry is great for hard floors but back-breaking on carpets. I use an oreck on carpets & it's fantastic!
Hate them. They only hepa filter stuff if you buy expensive bags. If you don't use hepa bags they chuck the dust back out the vent. Hose kept falling off mine and only way to move it is to pull it by the hose!
love my henry! no probs in busy house with 3 young kids. hes never off!
Well the builders all seem to use them so they must be good with fine dust that clogs up other vacuums but for carpets just get a decent mainstream cleaner like maybe a Miele or a Dyson. Shame you missed the £25 Samsung that was on here a few months back
miele are much better but won't like builders dust. we use Numatic for building work and Miele for carpets . bags come off eBay
Had my Henry for seven years and its fantastic. You can buy a separate carpet atrachment with a spinning brush that works like a little turbine from the incoming air, superb on carpets and upholstery.
The manufacturer can advertise any wattage on a cleaner, problem is how efficient they are at picking up the dirt, Vax are quite poor these days. The Henry is ok if you have lots of bits and the carpets are not deep piled, but if you have pets, or lots of hair etc then I would recommend something with a brush bar ie Dyson / Miele. Which recommends the Miele but in my opinion if you have to buy bags for it then it's just another consumable and we have enough of those in life! - Go for the dyson.
aircanman

The manufacturer can advertise any wattage on a cleaner, problem is how … The manufacturer can advertise any wattage on a cleaner, problem is how efficient they are at picking up the dirt, Vax are quite poor these days. The Henry is ok if you have lots of bits and the carpets are not deep piled, but if you have pets, or lots of hair etc then I would recommend something with a brush bar ie Dyson / Miele. Which recommends the Miele but in my opinion if you have to buy bags for it then it's just another consumable and we have enough of those in life! - Go for the dyson.

You can get a Airobrush for Henry hoovers and I can vouch it does work well getting pet hairs out of carpets as I have a dog that shreds hair all year round. Don't rate Dyson at all.
Henry's can take a lot of hammer. We used to use one to suck toner + developer out of photocopiers. Pretty much indestructible and very easy to repair.
Had our Henry for years and it has stood the test of time.
Henrys are BRILLIANT. No complaints at all with mine. Lots of contract cleaners use them. Our Dyson was rubbish. Gave it away!
Henrys are good imo. Dysons are far too overrated, They are the iphone of the hoover world.
I have had my Henry (well, Hetty) for a few years now. I live in a flat with biggish living room and bedrooms but smallish bathroom and kitchen. I find it sucks well and doesn't lose suction. I have hard floors (varnished floorboards living room and hall, vinyl kitchen and bathroom) and carpets in bedrooms. What I would say is that I find it heavy and awkward to pull from room to room. Hetty usually ends up peeping coyly at me from behind the corner of the couch where she's got stuck. It falls over quite easily when you try to yank it from behind furniture too. It picks up well on the floorboards but not brilliant on the carpet due to no brushes. Well... it picks up but it can't "fluff up" the carpets for you. I do realise now that Hetty wasn't the right vacuum for my needs, though she never gives a moment's trouble and seems to be unbreakable! I would say though that I have arthritis, so don't have the strength to lug a vacuum around that I used to have. I'm now looking at replacing it with a Gtech Airram or perhaps an Oreck, doing the research atm.

I've said before and I still believe it to be the case, that Henry/Hetty etc are fantastic for large hard floor areas without a lot of obstacles - church halls, gyms, open plan offices etc but that I think a Dyson or other upright is better in a home setting unless you have large open rooms.
I have been using a Henry for years ,I'm a decorator and need a good powerful vacuum and these things pick up everything without a struggle . I now also have a Hetty , given to me as it didn't work . I took it apart and found the carbon bushes were worn .............£6.95 a set from the bay . Fitted them and it's working great . As someone mentioned , there very easy to fix should they go wrong ,easy to take apart to fix and clean and the parts are cheap .

So ,there you have it .........................it's a Henry or a Hetty for you !
Yes
Get a Henry, it's not overhyped in a wrong way, otherwise why on earth would cleaners use them? It’s not like its cheap neither.
Original Poster
Thank you all for your answers, it's appreciated.

In-case it helps anybody, I ended up getting the Vax U86-PM-P last week, as it had amazing reviews and was on sale for £68 at Argos. The cheapest price I had seen it. I also wanted to try an upright vacuum cleaner, as I haven't had one before. I would've posted it as a deal as it's that good, but unfortunately Argos have taken it off the site.

So if anyone is looking for a great upright vacuum cleaner, you should consider this model, if you can find it cheap anywhere else. The suction on it is fantastic (on carpets and hard floors), and it has a large 3.5L dust capacity.

More product details on Amazon
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions