Are iMac's worth the money?

8 replies
Found 13th Apr 2009
I have been looking at getting an iMac for a few weeks now but am concerned that with them being so expensive, are they actually worth the money or are you paying more just for the brand?

I have been looking at the 20" and the 24" iMac with the following specs;

2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard - Operating system
2GB Memory - Run more applications
320GB Hard Drive - Load up on photos,videos
20'' Widescreen display - Vivid colours

2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard - Operating system
4GB Memory - Run more applications
640GB Hard Drive - Load up on photos,videos
24'' Widescreen display - Vivid colours

The 20" is £949 and the 24" is £1,189 - for the price, are the specs good enough?

Also, the keyboard and mouse that comes with the iMacs, are they easy to use? The keyboard that I saw on display with an iMac at PC World today was ridiculously tiny - are they all like that?!

Many people are put off by iMac's because certain programmes won't run on iMacs, what programmes are these, the person at the Apple Bar I visited was rather vague about this!

Most importantly, those of you who have iMac's - would you recommend them?

Thanks

8 Comments

Banned

If you can dig out the Gadget show on youtube, they rated the imac recently, very informative and reviews could answer some of your questions.

It simply all depends on what you will be using it for.

If you are concerned about costs then you could go for a Mac Mini, they are fantastic value for money, you buy your own keyboard, mouse and screen.

Apple computers are very reliable bits of kit, I have never had a hardware issue in the 14 years I have owned these machines.

Original Poster

the dandy p;4912729

It simply all depends on what you will be using it for.

I mainly use my computer for the internet but I also occasionally use it for word processing, photo editing and gaming.

Money Spinning;4912737

If you are concerned about costs then you could go for a Mac Mini, they … If you are concerned about costs then you could go for a Mac Mini, they are fantastic value for money, you buy your own keyboard, mouse and screen.Apple computers are very reliable bits of kit, I have never had a hardware issue in the 14 years I have owned these machines.

Its not so much the cost, if is if it is worth the money. I could get a Dell PC with the same specs for a couple of hundred less but I prefer the overall design of the iMac.

They really are brilliant and it may be worth you looking at the refurb store on Apples website as they often have very good deals. I used Windoze based systems until 2005 then I swapped I have never used something so easy and reliable, Apples software is so intuitive and easy to use (iPhoto is a very good basic photo editing package and comes included). Apples are reliable but sometimes need a reset!! There is a free piece of software called Neo Office that is just like Windows Office. I cant comment on the games as I dont play them on a mac but just look on Apples site. Hope that helps!!

If you can afford it go for it. Once you go Mac you dont go back!!

Original Poster

chillipuss;4912927

They really are brilliant and it may be worth you looking at the refurb … They really are brilliant and it may be worth you looking at the refurb store on Apples website as they often have very good deals. I used Windoze based systems until 2005 then I swapped I have never used something so easy and reliable, Apples software is so intuitive and easy to use (iPhoto is a very good basic photo editing package and comes included). Apples are reliable but sometimes need a reset!! There is a free piece of software called Neo Office that is just like Windows Office. I cant comment on the games as I dont play them on a mac but just look on Apples site. Hope that helps!!If you can afford it go for it. Once you go Mac you dont go back!!

Just been looking online, do iMac come with a word processor - I can't find a definite answer! I know that iLife is available but that costs extra!

kimbyanne;4913428

Just been looking online, do iMac come with a word processor - I can't … Just been looking online, do iMac come with a word processor - I can't find a definite answer! I know that iLife is available but that costs extra!

OSX (Mac operating system) comes with a program called TextEdit, very basic mind. A bit like WordPad with bells on.

Office suite wise you have a number of options:
[LIST]
[*]Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac (as the Windows version, but Macified)
[*]Apple iWork (my personal preference)
[*]OpenOffice (free)
[*]Neo Office (free)
[/LIST]
As far as whether or not iMacs are worth it over a Dell, yes, yes, yes, hell yes :giggle:. They're in totally different leagues, there are big differences in the build quality, software and service (and design, obviously :thumbsup:) - you get what you pay for, but they are considered "overpriced" by some whether or not you fall into that category is down to personal preference.

iLife is not an Office suite, it's iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iDVD, and iWeb. It should come with any new Mac, if it doesn't the supplier's trying to rip you off as Apple supply it with the machines.

As far as other software goes there is very little not available for Mac these days, all the big programs like Photoshop, MS Office, etc have Mac versions. Those that don't have equivalents that are as good if not better. If the worst comes to the worst and there is some program you absolutely 100% need that isn't available then you can run Windows on Macs through Boot Camp or something like VMWare Fusion.

Hope that helps.

I agree with all that's been mentioned above, they are fantastic machines. I occasionally use my 20" iMac to play games but if you are intending to buy one with gaming being one of your main focuses I wouldn't bother.

Obviously you can buy Mac specific games but they tend to be a little pricey. Most of all your old PC games won't run on a Mac unless you have Windows installed, as mentioned somewhere above. Boot camp comes suppled with your Mac and allows you to boot up in Windows but you need to have a Windows installation CD.

It tends to run games to an adequate standard but by no means is it a gaming computer - even though you're paying a lot don't expect to be running the latest games at full graphics. I tend to use my Xbox 360 for my serious gaming and use Bootcamp for the occasional old school PC games fix. As I have only run PC games on the 20" 2.4 Ghz model, I cannot say whether the same is true for the higher spec iMacs.

It's a great machine for all your creative needs (sound, picture and video editing) and is extremely reliable and secure for just day to day use and web browsing. It's also really simple to use; my parents are pretty hopeless with all technology and yet they managed to understand the basics on the iMac. Viruses are relatively unheard of also, it's great being able to boot up in a matter of second and not have to run an anti virus update everyday! I heard somewhere that due to only about 10% of American computer users owning a Mac, there is little point for hackers etc creating viruses for them when there is such a large Windows audience in comparison.

Hope you enjoy your new Mac if you end up getting it, I'm sure you will do! :thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. clocks go Back weekend 28 October why not check and clean ur smoke alarm at…65262
    2. US GrandPrix Razzmatazz56
    3. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…56119
    4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428314659

See more discussions