Are iPhones getting uglier?

Found 13th Sep 2017
So we all know iPhone 8 and iPhone X are coming. What's your thoughts on their styles?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
36 Comments

Im a Drioder, always have but I really do like the new screen on the X. Makes sense and means it has bigger screen real estate. However, the price tag alone is mind bogging!

Fingers crossed the pixel 2 has something like it....

I normally get the iPhone but when my upgrades due next year I think I'll be going for a cheaper Samsung.. agree with @darthvader666uk the price tag is just ridiculous. Haven't apple got enough money to make a cheaper phone with plug in headphone capabilities too.. not everyone has a spare thousand pound to spend on a phone an accessories! (yes I probably exaggerated on the £1000abit
Edited by: "LeahsMintytoutou" 13th Sep 2017

darthvader666uk43 m ago

Im a Drioder, always have but I really do like the new screen on the X. …Im a Drioder, always have but I really do like the new screen on the X. Makes sense and means it has bigger screen real estate. However, the price tag alone is mind bogging!Fingers crossed the pixel 2 has something like it....

i like the idea but the ugly cutout on the screen where the sensors live doesnt seem the best design, especially from a company where design is the primary selling point

adamspencer955 m ago

i like the idea but the ugly cutout on the screen where the sensors live …i like the idea but the ugly cutout on the screen where the sensors live doesnt seem the best design, especially from a company where design is the primary selling point

Im not a design guy and its maybe why I actually like it....but defo not the usual selling point that apple always rides on.

LeahsMintytoutou1 h, 12 m ago

I normally get the iPhone but when my upgrades due next year I think I'll …I normally get the iPhone but when my upgrades due next year I think I'll be going for a cheaper Samsung.. agree with @darthvader666uk the price tag is just ridiculous. Haven't apple got enough money to make a cheaper phone with plug in headphone capabilities too.. not everyone has a spare thousand pound to spend on a phone an accessories! (yes I probably exaggerated on the £1000abit

I agree with you, devils advocate I know but Apples pricing kind of reflects what they are and the quality they offer. I remember spending £50 a month on an iPhone 2 contract and at the time my friends and family thought I was off my rocker! Now that kind of pricing has become the norm, It appears Apple not only want to offer new tech to their users, but they want to protect the brand image with their pricing. The only thing is, phone manufacturers like Samsung will see that the consumer is willing to spend £999 on a phone and rise to it, as they will need to offer a better spec than Apple on their flagship phones.

Your not wrong with the amount of money required for accessories, £300 Apple Watch, wireless charging station at an amount unknown to me, £350 home pod, ear pods at whatever they are, I guess the premium phone will come with a premium case, that'll be £50 starting price!

The real concern is, once you've bought your phone...what happens when you drop it. I'd imagine a hefty repair bill with glass on the front and back and that's without damaging the Oled panel.
Edited by: "hairray" 13th Sep 2017

Original Poster

darthvader666uk58 m ago

Im not a design guy and its maybe why I actually like it....but defo not …Im not a design guy and its maybe why I actually like it....but defo not the usual selling point that apple always rides on.

I know what u mean. I'm rocking a SE and it's a flawless design. One handed texter, feels lovely in hand. Premium looking as I've got space grey SE. But really think the new looks of both mentioned phones look awful

IPhone 7plus owners shouldn't upgrade unless rich.

I'm daunted by Apple Pay with face recognition but if it works it will boost security.

jr0071 h, 40 m ago

IPhone 7plus owners shouldn't upgrade unless rich.I'm daunted by Apple Pay …IPhone 7plus owners shouldn't upgrade unless rich.I'm daunted by Apple Pay with face recognition but if it works it will boost security.

Apparently it failed first time for one of the people demonstrating it

Dolphinzz7 h, 17 m ago

Apparently it failed first time for one of the people demonstrating it …Apparently it failed first time for one of the people demonstrating it

Yes it did, think he clicked twice, sometimes happens when I do finger print reader. He later sampled it again, twice and it worked. It was very obvious someone was in his ear asking him to give it a go!

I think it will be a sit on the bench until the 2nd gen of the tech. Don't fancy being a test subject.
Edited by: "hairray" 13th Sep 2017

hairray1 m ago

Yes it did, think he clicked twice, sometimes happens when I do finger …Yes it did, think he clicked twice, sometimes happens when I do finger print reader. He later sampled it again, twice and it worked. It was very obvious someone was in his ear asking him to give it a go!I think it will be a sit on the bench until the 2nd gen of the tech. Don't fancy being a test subject.

Ah I never have any problems with Touch ID but that may be because it's not got the first generation of Touch ID. Had a 5s and it was often messing up

Dolphinzz54 m ago

Ah I never have any problems with Touch ID but that may be because it's …Ah I never have any problems with Touch ID but that may be because it's not got the first generation of Touch ID. Had a 5s and it was often messing up

I'm still on a 6 and I occasionally do it. The only iPhone I've not upgraded as the new ones come out. I think the cellular watch is a nifty piece of kit.

hairray1 h, 24 m ago

I'm still on a 6 and I occasionally do it. The only iPhone I've not …I'm still on a 6 and I occasionally do it. The only iPhone I've not upgraded as the new ones come out. I think the cellular watch is a nifty piece of kit.

^^ yeah I'm considering it since I have the first gen and the battery got wrecked after WatchOS 3. Its better now but recently it's been taking longer to charge. Plus an excuse to get more straps (obviously from Amazon or pre-owned, Apple prices are extortionate)

Look at the X and your eyes are drawn to the ugly notch in the top ..a pretty phone it ain't .
Add to the fact of £1000 you need to buy a usb-c cable and power adaptor to to enable fast charging ( as Apple ain't supplying them with phone) and EarPods if you upgrading from a 6 or less and you adding a further £200 onto the price

Original Poster

plodging47 m ago

Look at the X and your eyes are drawn to the ugly notch in the top ..a …Look at the X and your eyes are drawn to the ugly notch in the top ..a pretty phone it ain't . Add to the fact of £1000 you need to buy a usb-c cable and power adaptor to to enable fast charging ( as Apple ain't supplying them with phone) and EarPods if you upgrading from a 6 or less and you adding a further £200 onto the price

Couldn't agree more!. What a ugly phone looks out of proportion doesn't it? As I stated in my original description 5,5s and SE body imo is the most attractive premium feel and touch

It doesn't have anything that justifies its price to me. I am not loyal to either android or ios as I don't usually buy apps and stream all my music etc so i'm not trapped with either.

I had high hopes for the new iPhone but it feels like a bunch of compromises until next year. I much prefer to use fingerprint than facial recognition especially when it comes to using apple/android pay. The new system seems like it has been chucked in because the couldn't get the under screen sensor to work in time.

It also irritates me when I have an issue with an apple decision that there is always someone to defend them. Large companies don't need random customers to defend their decisions. It is especially annoying when they defend a price increase. I'm not an apple share holder so the fact that they make a large profit margin and have a large amount of money is actually a negative to me. I want them to make razor thin margins as then I feel like I have got value for my money.

Dolphinzz12 h, 2 m ago

^^ yeah I'm considering it since I have the first gen and the battery got …^^ yeah I'm considering it since I have the first gen and the battery got wrecked after WatchOS 3. Its better now but recently it's been taking longer to charge. Plus an excuse to get more straps (obviously from Amazon or pre-owned, Apple prices are extortionate)

Nice! I bought my 1st gen from Very on a 20% offer. Not a huge fan of Very but took the plunge! Enjoy your new device!

I find edge to edge screens ugly, so I guess I would say top end phones in general are getting uglier.
Maybe I'm one of the few that prefers a thin bezel.
As for how the chassis looks or the material it is made out of - it makes no difference to me since I keep my mobile in a case.

Edit: Also prefer a bezel layer for touch buttons or physical button.
Edited by: "drasim" 14th Sep 2017

They could release a poop shaped and colour smart phone, call it the cylinder and the idiots who payed £800 for a phone 1 to 2 years ago would still get it.
Edited by: "catbeans" 14th Sep 2017

hairray9 m ago

Nice! I bought my 1st gen from Very on a 20% offer. Not a huge fan of Very …Nice! I bought my 1st gen from Very on a 20% offer. Not a huge fan of Very but took the plunge! Enjoy your new device!

Oh I'm not decided yet but definitely will be getting a new Watch sometime in the future probably will be investing in a new laptop first as it requires numerous repairs that'll cost too much to justify for a 5 year old laptop (new battery, new screen, some buttons need to be fixed too, especially the left click one on the trackpad)

Dolphinzz46 m ago

Oh I'm not decided yet but definitely will be getting a new Watch sometime …Oh I'm not decided yet but definitely will be getting a new Watch sometime in the future probably will be investing in a new laptop first as it requires numerous repairs that'll cost too much to justify for a 5 year old laptop (new battery, new screen, some buttons need to be fixed too, especially the left click one on the trackpad)

Nice, I've got the 2015 MacBook Pro, the one that went up £249 over night! MacBook prices are crazy but I like to work with the OS. At the prices of the new MacBooks I'll be looking after this one very well! Think I'm going to pull the trigger on the 8 once my 6 is unusable - which is probably when the new iOS comes out

Edge to edge phone = Easier to break.

They purposely design these extremely expensive mobiles so that you drop them regularly. I don't know many iphone users that haven't got cracked screens.

Conveniently my daughters iphone touch id has become faulty. Facepalm for Apple though as her next mobile will be an Android.

hairray37 m ago

Nice, I've got the 2015 MacBook Pro, the one that went up £249 over night! …Nice, I've got the 2015 MacBook Pro, the one that went up £249 over night! MacBook prices are crazy but I like to work with the OS. At the prices of the new MacBooks I'll be looking after this one very well! Think I'm going to pull the trigger on the 8 once my 6 is unusable - which is probably when the new iOS comes out

Oh I've never worked with the OS before, but I feel like it'd be interesting and the fact it's got apps is pretty cool. Windows 10 ruined my laptop and I'm adamant about buying another, and plus all my other devices are apple ones so it wouldn't hurt to take the plunge. There's a lot of things I've heard of that I like about the MacBook so pretty excited

Dolphinzz35 m ago

Oh I've never worked with the OS before, but I feel like it'd be …Oh I've never worked with the OS before, but I feel like it'd be interesting and the fact it's got apps is pretty cool. Windows 10 ruined my laptop and I'm adamant about buying another, and plus all my other devices are apple ones so it wouldn't hurt to take the plunge. There's a lot of things I've heard of that I like about the MacBook so pretty excited

I use windows for my gaming pc but it ends there. Macs OS is easy to use, sometimes it can be a little too easy. One word of warning on software, it can be quite expensive on OS.

hairray3 h, 27 m ago

I use windows for my gaming pc but it ends there. Macs OS is easy to use, …I use windows for my gaming pc but it ends there. Macs OS is easy to use, sometimes it can be a little too easy. One word of warning on software, it can be quite expensive on OS.

Ah yeah. Luckily I don't really need much/any software. I've heard Mac OS dumbs things down and you don't have so much control (which is a little disappointing) so I can see why you say it is too easy.

No, they've always been fugly.

Dolphinzz19 m ago

Ah yeah. Luckily I don't really need much/any software. I've heard Mac OS …Ah yeah. Luckily I don't really need much/any software. I've heard Mac OS dumbs things down and you don't have so much control (which is a little disappointing) so I can see why you say it is too easy.

I like the dumbed down lol, I use it for excel, internet and my own cloud based software. Perfect for those things

Original Poster

.MUFC.7 h, 18 m ago

Edge to edge phone = Easier to break.They purposely design these extremely …Edge to edge phone = Easier to break.They purposely design these extremely expensive mobiles so that you drop them regularly. I don't know many iphone users that haven't got cracked screens.Conveniently my daughters iphone touch id has become faulty. Facepalm for Apple though as her next mobile will be an Android.

Probably because software updates on iPhones cripple the device and make it obsolete eventually

hairray2 h, 37 m ago

I like the dumbed down lol, I use it for excel, internet and my own cloud …I like the dumbed down lol, I use it for excel, internet and my own cloud based software. Perfect for those things

Ah I like being able to do stuff such as benchmarks and browsing files and editing their properties etc and removing files that contain viruses on people's computers (I've been safe on mine). I'm an IT student who loves tech so that may be why. One of my lessons highlights was building our own computer by installing the OS using a disc and adding/installing the peripherals etc. This year we get to use raspberry pi's which will be almost as exciting

Dolphinzz30 m ago

Ah I like being able to do stuff such as benchmarks and browsing files and …Ah I like being able to do stuff such as benchmarks and browsing files and editing their properties etc and removing files that contain viruses on people's computers (I've been safe on mine). I'm an IT student who loves tech so that may be why. One of my lessons highlights was building our own computer by installing the OS using a disc and adding/installing the peripherals etc. This year we get to use raspberry pi's which will be almost as exciting

Oh nice! I just build computers for friends etc. Installed M.2 on my brothers pc the other day, absolutely insane speeds!

hairray16 m ago

Oh nice! I just build computers for friends etc. Installed M.2 on my …Oh nice! I just build computers for friends etc. Installed M.2 on my brothers pc the other day, absolutely insane speeds!

Nice we only did ours with basic specs unfortunately as they are all only computers for IT students to build and then take apart. I remember ours got the lowest benchmark score out of everyone and apparently was the lowest the teacher had ever seen

Dolphinzz1 h, 2 m ago

Nice we only did ours with basic specs unfortunately as they are all …Nice we only did ours with basic specs unfortunately as they are all only computers for IT students to build and then take apart. I remember ours got the lowest benchmark score out of everyone and apparently was the lowest the teacher had ever seen

Haha awesome! Nothing wrong with slow, providing the OS loaded and you can play Minesweeper!?! I'm going to pull the trigger on the iPhone 8. Any idea of the preorder time?

hairray1 h, 48 m ago

Haha awesome! Nothing wrong with slow, providing the OS loaded and you can …Haha awesome! Nothing wrong with slow, providing the OS loaded and you can play Minesweeper!?! I'm going to pull the trigger on the iPhone 8. Any idea of the preorder time?

Oh my gosh I miss minesweeper now. And pinball!!! They were life.

About the iPhone 8, I would say around midnight on the day the pre-orders start but I may be wrong as I've never pre-ordered one.

Dolphinzz2 m ago

Oh my gosh I miss minesweeper now. And pinball!!! They were life.About the …Oh my gosh I miss minesweeper now. And pinball!!! They were life.About the iPhone 8, I would say around midnight on the day the pre-orders start but I may be wrong as I've never pre-ordered one.

Did one before and I think it may of been around 9/10am

hairray1 m ago

Did one before and I think it may of been around 9/10am

Ah yeah of course it would be the general Apple midnight time that their headquarters are based in or something.

Yep!

8.01 am
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants