Groups

are schools going to be ok about parents keeping children off in this bad weather

Banned
    as above really, are they going to see it as a sensible parent, or a parent they think is allowing their children to skive off

61 Comments

mine arent skiving the schools are closed until monday

all schools are closed in my area, they have not been open since before xmas

Why care what they think, surely its your childs safety that comes first :thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

linw;7453056

mine arent skiving the schools are closed until monday

i am not talking about closed schools, i am referring to parents making the decision about sending their children to school in bad conditions

My son's school was the only one out of 6 local schools open today, we got a call to collect him at 2pm. I personally am happy to send him as it's only a 10 minute walk for us, but if we lived further had issues with getting there etc then it would be different.

if the school is open then it must be ok for the kids to go

my nephews school has been closed tuesday and today, but my sister isnt going to take him in tomorrow if it reopens as the school is up a big hill and her street goes like an ice rink when its snowed and freezed in the night, plus she has a 12month old girl and cant push the pram through the snow. so shes not risking it.

why does it matter what they think?

if you genuinely cant get your kids to school then they cant go to school. if you can then take them.

Original Poster Banned

if i think it is unsuitable for her to go then she wont be going, just wondering what others think their attitude may be about it

ding;7453094

if the school is open then it must be ok for the kids to go

Not sure that is correct. Our local school is closed because the staff couldn't get in, but even if it was open I couldn't get my daughter there.

I say if the school is open and you cant drive then as long as its not too far and you are dressed for the conditions, then walk it! People are so frikkin lazy!

Original Poster Banned

BabySmurfette;7453159

I say if the school is open and you cant drive then as long as its not … I say if the school is open and you cant drive then as long as its not too far and you are dressed for the conditions, then walk it! People are so frikkin lazy!

my back garden is already a skating ring, and we havent got through the night yet at minus whatever its going to be, so walking it for many is as dangerous as iced up roads

at the end of the day it has to be safe from the time you leave the house till the time u arive at the school just coz the school is open and it is clear and safe there dont mean it is clear and safe in your area just as someone pointed out that one school closed as the staff couldnt get in from there homes same rule for the kids i think it has to be on a whats best for you type of thing

If you seriously think its too dangerous to walk then fair enough. People are too quick to hide inside at the sight of snow - its doing my head in.

My brother's school isn't closed, and my old school was never closed due to the weather.

Although he would have been allowed to come home the other day because the classroom temp was below the minimum required, but he had to stay because he was lift sharing, mwuahaha.

Original Poster Banned

BabySmurfette;7453213

If you seriously think its too dangerous to walk then fair enough. … If you seriously think its too dangerous to walk then fair enough. People are too quick to hide inside at the sight of snow - its doing my head in.

it isnt the snow im concerned about, its the ice, i think its going to be bad by tomorrow, and personally think its best to keep away from the possiblitly of breaking your neck if you can at all help it

sassie;7453239

it isnt the snow im concerned about, its the ice, i think its going to be … it isnt the snow im concerned about, its the ice, i think its going to be bad by tomorrow, and personally think its best to keep away from the possiblitly of breaking your neck if you can at all help it

:lol: I agree, if you think it's too icey then I would keep them off. There are some roads out there that are literally like skating rinks and I think there will be a lot of people in similar situations that will keep the kids off too

Banned

Carley;7453244

Agree, if your school is open and it's close enough to walk then take … Agree, if your school is open and it's close enough to walk then take your time and walk it, otherwise your setting a bad example to your kids, they'll enjoy walking in the snow even if you don't.

Don't you feel sorry for the chav's their pj's might get wet

If the school is open then it'll be just as safe or dangerous as any other day.

bear in mind they could be hit by a bus, fall down the stairs or get a boiling pan poured over them anytime.

Original Poster Banned

DLM;7453265

Don't you feel sorry for the chav's their pj's might get wet

she has wellies and a coat :thumbsup:

dont think im going to have a choice my daughters school sent us a letter to tell us to advise our children how to get home in an emergancy say they decided to close during school hours as they will not be ringing parents to let them know my daughter is 7 cant let her walk alone home and she has no way of contacting me to let me know so will have to keep her off till the weather improves from the looks of it

ants97;7453279

If the school is open then it'll be just as safe or dangerous as any … If the school is open then it'll be just as safe or dangerous as any other day.bear in mind they could be hit by a bus, fall down the stairs or get a boiling pan poured over them anytime.

Yes must be optimistic :?

sassie;7453239

it isnt the snow im concerned about, its the ice, i think its going to be … it isnt the snow im concerned about, its the ice, i think its going to be bad by tomorrow, and personally think its best to keep away from the possiblitly of breaking your neck if you can at all help it

i fell over in the last lot of snow we had that had turned to ice and my lower back is still sore and this was xmas eve, i hate going out in it, i have a 4month old baby and just carrying her to the car in her carseat i worry incase i slip over with her, i had to slide her over the road on xmas day at my mother in laws as the road to the car was like a sheet of ice and didnt want to risk slipping on it with her.

Banned

Carley;7453290

no chance, they'll be tucked into their ugg's

Oh I forgot about them :roll:

I got my pj's wet earlier I was gutted.

I had to rescue my bloke from the car on the drive :w00t:

Original Poster Banned

louloublue;7453302

dont think im going to have a choice my daughters school sent us a letter … dont think im going to have a choice my daughters school sent us a letter to tell us to advise our children how to get home in an emergancy say they decided to close during school hours as they will not be ringing parents to let them know my daughter is 7 cant let her walk alone home and she has no way of contacting me to let me know so will have to keep her off till the weather improves from the looks of it

i dont think legally they can do that, not at primary school

louloublue;7453302

dont think im going to have a choice my daughters school sent us a letter … dont think im going to have a choice my daughters school sent us a letter to tell us to advise our children how to get home in an emergancy say they decided to close during school hours as they will not be ringing parents to let them know my daughter is 7 cant let her walk alone home and she has no way of contacting me to let me know so will have to keep her off till the weather improves from the looks of it

I think that's terrible, I too would be keeping my son off if that was the case!

sassie;7453323

i dont think legally they can do that, not at primary school

thats what i thought but letter clearly states so going in first thing to get some clarification

Original Poster Banned

louloublue;7453358

thats what i thought but letter clearly states so going in first thing to … thats what i thought but letter clearly states so going in first thing to get some clarification

i would be sending it to the paper, they cannot expect 7 yr olds to go home alone the divs

No thats def not legal. Schools have obligations regarding childrens safety leaving schools which is half of the reason why so many are closed.

louloublue;7453302

WTF thats insane!!!
    My son is 8 there is NO WAY his school would do such a thing, even my daughters school (daughter is 15) won't send them home unles they have informed a parent. They have a duty of care, they can't just say right kids out we are closing now.

Carley;7453350

i'd bloody change schools if that was true.

if its still there position tommorow ill definalty be thinking of going down this route
    they cant expect a 7 year old to walk home alone or wait till someone comes at regular pick up time outside
    0/h thought id read letter wrong till he seen it for himself

Schools also have a legal obligation to make sure children are fed at lunchtime. Several schools in my area have meals delivered for the kids daily as they dont have canteens. Another reason why they are closed as the deliveries cant get through.

pink-ka;7453311

i had to slide her over the road on xmas day at my mother in laws as the … i had to slide her over the road on xmas day at my mother in laws as the road to the car was like a sheet of ice and didnt want to risk slipping on it with her.

i hope she was in her car seat at the time..:thumbsup:
    Our daughters school seems to be the only open. More concerned about the missus collecting them as the ice can get bad on the back roads, seems this year more than others in the past the pavements have been a nightmare and coming home from work most people seem to be walking in the road!! were about 20mins walk from school but our youngest who is three has arthritis so the cold is a pain for her.

snow was fun, but i want it gone now, when i got home i cleared the driveway (for the second time today) because the last batch of snow i saw the wise old men up the street doing it first thing in the morning and there driveways cleared whereas mine compacted down and was a ice rink for 3 or 4 days.

louloublue;7453390

if its still there position tommorow ill definalty be thinking of going … if its still there position tommorow ill definalty be thinking of going down this route they cant expect a 7 year old to walk home alone or wait till someone comes at regular pick up time outside0/h thought id read letter wrong till he seen it for himself

you need to report this to the LEA or department of education, not sure who exactly it would be, but that is so so wrong.

What the school would think would depend on the childs attendence throughout the rest of the year I'd imagine. My neighbours keep their kids off if they can't be bothered to get up in the mornings, if the rain is too heavy, if their kids have a runny nose etc etc, you get the idea ! If they called up and said they couldn't get their cause of the snow, the school would probably not believe them. Obviously I'm not saying you're anything like that, but just giving an example of when the schools probably wouldn't believe parents were being entirely honest.

But if conditions getting to school were actually dangerous, and not just unpleasant, then I'd have no hesitations in keeping my kids off, whatever anyone thought :thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

Charlie&Lola;7453517

What the school would think would depend on the childs attendence … What the school would think would depend on the childs attendence throughout the rest of the year I'd imagine. My neighbours keep their kids off if they can't be bothered to get up in the mornings, if the rain is too heavy, if their kids have a runny nose etc etc, you get the idea ! If they called up and said they couldn't get their cause of the snow, the school would probably not believe them. Obviously I'm not saying you're anything like that, but just giving an example of when the schools probably wouldn't believe parents were being entirely honest.But if conditions getting to school were actually dangerous, and not just unpleasant, then I'd have no hesitations in keeping my kids off, whatever anyone thought :thumbsup:

shes 16, and probably had about 5 days off throughtout her school life, like i said i wasnt on here asking for permission or anything, just wondered what peoples opinions would be on it

sassie;7453544

shes 16, and probably had about 5 days off throughtout her school life, … shes 16, and probably had about 5 days off throughtout her school life, like i said i wasnt on here asking for permission or anything, just wondered what peoples opinions would be on it

16!!!!! I thought we were talking toddler here. My god she can get married or join the army and your keeping her in becuase of the snow. c'mon sassie.

Original Poster Banned

ants97;7453569

16!!!!! I thought we were talking toddler here. My god she can get … 16!!!!! I thought we were talking toddler here. My god she can get married or join the army and your keeping her in becuase of the snow. c'mon sassie.

im not keeping her in because of the snow at all:roll: The "toddler" i walk to school

sassie;7453577

im not keeping her in because of the snow at all:roll: The toddler i walk … im not keeping her in because of the snow at all:roll: The toddler i walk to school

thats right its the ice.

Somebody on here on a previous thread got it spot on earlier.
    The kids who have a day off will just use that day off to do what?....oh that's right, running around and playing in the snow.
    So in fact they would be safer in the classrooms, unless driving conditions are bad.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4121822
      2. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…2393
      3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread418214169
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764643

See more discussions