Found 19th Mar 2009
Out of date food without stating that it is out of date?
My own fault for not checking really but I thought they had to state if it was out of date?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
23 Comments

ur not allowed to sell stock past it sell by date, its illegal unless it was a honest mistake on there behalf

Banned

usually when this happens they are labelled and reduced... i imagine they need to inform the customer yes

I dont think they can.
Take it back and complain

depends on what food it is

Original Poster

it was a pcket of sweets from cadbury factory outlet they just said that they were half price

DangerGod;4688787

usually when this happens they are labelled and reduced... i imagine they … usually when this happens they are labelled and reduced... i imagine they need to inform the customer yes

only reduce if its that day its going out of date

they are not allowed to sell out of date food..they only reduce it when its close to sell by date.

So it was a best before date rather than a use by date then.

hunter82;4688793

it was a pcket of sweets from cadbury factory outlet they just said that … it was a pcket of sweets from cadbury factory outlet they just said that they were half price

LOL, i would ring up customer serivce and complain, make up a load of bull sayin u gave them 2 ur young child :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Jumpingphil;4688810

So it was a best before date rather than a use by date then.

yes best before feb 09

glad it was only sweets, i brought some out of date beer the other day....

hunter82;4688819

yes best before feb 09

Best Before is usually advisory and refers to the quality of the product, in contrast with Use By and Best By which indicates that the product is no longer safe to consume after the specified date.

Original Poster

intenso100;4688831

really?! where was that from?

Hi there, i was watching on TV the other day that best before date doesn't mean you have to consume something by that date, it just means that that particular product is at its peak at that date. If you are to consume something you have to go by the sell by date. Now whether the supermarkets can still have something on their shelves with regards to things being past there best before date, I don't know.

Original Poster

thanks for the info guys

hunter82;4688836

really?! where was that from?

i didnt realised tasted a bit flat though, then checked date was from nov 08

I bought a sandwich and when I got home I realised that its 'use by' date was two days ago. What should I do?
Don't eat the sandwich. You shouldn't eat any food product that has passed its 'use by' date, because it might not be safe to eat. In fact, it's illegal for shops to sell food after its 'use by' date.

You could take the sandwich back to the shop where you bought it and ask for an exchange or refund. Or you could contact the trading standards or environmental health service at your local authority. It is their responsibility to investigate if they think a shop is not obeying the law, and to take appropriate action. If you decide to contact your local authority, you may need to make a statement and give them the food product and packaging as evidence.

But remember that 'use by' dates are different to other dates you may see on food products. It's not illegal for shops to sell food after its 'best before', 'sell by' or 'display until' date.

Is a shop allowed to sell food that has passed its 'sell by' date?
'Sell by' dates, like 'Display until' dates, are used by some shops to help staff know when they need to take food products off the shelves. It is up to the manufacturer or shop if it wants to put a 'Sell by' or 'Display until' date on packaged foods. But they must also have either a 'Use by' or 'Best before' date.

Since the 'Sell by' date is just a guide to shop staff, it isn't against the law to sell a food after it. However, shops mustn't sell foods that have passed their 'Use by' date. And you shouldn't eat foods after their 'Use by' date because they might not be safe to eat. 'Use by' dates are used on foods that go off quickly, such as milk, soft cheese, ready-prepared meals and smoked fish.

You will see 'Best before' dates on foods that last longer, such as frozen, dried or tinned foods. Shops are allowed to sell foods after their 'Best before' date (except eggs) and they will probably still be safe to eat.

But if you buy foods after their 'Best before' date, bear in mind that they might not be as good to eat as they were before. They might have started to lose their flavour or texture. The one food you shouldn't eat after its 'Best before' date is eggs. This is because eggs can contain salmonella bacteria, which could start to multiply after this date.

My previous post is from the Food Standards Agency website.

Original Poster

thanks deb8z that was really helpful

hunter82;4688870

thanks deb8z that was really helpful

You're welcome:thumbsup:

I found hairy mouldy tomatoes in Tesco the other week, Yoghurts that were a week out of date in Asda a couple of months ago, hairy mouldy cheese in Asda about a year ago.

I'm quite good at spotting these things lol.

intenso100;4688831

where did you bring it from?

Banned

sweets dont usually have a set date to be sold and eaten by due to the sugar content, they have best before dates, which are completely different to sell by dates.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941396
    2. Marmite1823
    3. Krack WiFi vuln1121
    4. UBER can be a waste of money1019

See more discussions