Are the free antivirus any good?

Found 26th Sep 2017
Was looking here google.co.uk/amp…amp

For business use

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
15 Comments

I've always used AVG free, as do a lot of others I know, it has recently been a bit of a pain with messages about upgrading to a paid version but always seems to have kept my system in ship shape

I find the free ones just as good or adequate as the paid ones. I use AVAST, which is free, and seems decent enough as an antivirus.

Windows Defender is just as good as any IMO. I use that along with Malwarebytes and never had an issue.

I use Avast Free on one PC which is fine. But, i use a paid for version on the PC that I do banking on. I just have the feeling, no proof, that in the event that you have a security breach and lose money, which you might be able to re-claim from a financial institution, you may need to show that you made sufficient efforts to protect yourself from harm.

Original Poster

I've bought a new hp workstation, I'm with btbusiness broadband, but they want 4.99 a month for their security. Don't get me wrong I don't mind paying but can't understand why they want £60 a year for protection which can be had for free .

mutley12 h, 7 m ago

I find the free ones just as good or adequate as the paid ones. I use …I find the free ones just as good or adequate as the paid ones. I use AVAST, which is free, and seems decent enough as an antivirus.

I assume you have had a lot of viruses or warnings of a potential virus in the past to be able to say that.

steve.t34 m ago

I assume you have had a lot of viruses or warnings of a potential virus in …I assume you have had a lot of viruses or warnings of a potential virus in the past to be able to say that.

sure do, with all the dodgy sites i visit. lol

most free ones have exclusions in the T&Cs about business use, if you really want to stay on the right side of the law

Use Microsoft free version. If you really want anti virus then use Microsoft free version as they have a vested interest in keeping there systems safe. Many of the latest attacks would not be stopped by any of the anti viruses software. So why pay... Keep system up to date

airbus33026th Sep

I use Avast Free on one PC which is fine. But, i use a paid for version on …I use Avast Free on one PC which is fine. But, i use a paid for version on the PC that I do banking on. I just have the feeling, no proof, that in the event that you have a security breach and lose money, which you might be able to re-claim from a financial institution, you may need to show that you made sufficient efforts to protect yourself from harm.

I like Avast free which works well as long as you can live with the eternal adds.

Yeah the Avast ads are a pain. I actually also pay for a 5 licence McAfee each year. If you buy an OEM one of fleabay, its about £12. Never had any issues with it, use the same account each year (I think the is year 7) using the OEM registration number from EB. I know McAf is not that popular because of perceived bloatware issues, but it works for me.

landros117 m ago

I like Avast free which works well as long as you can live with the …I like Avast free which works well as long as you can live with the eternal adds.

I dont seem to get the ads.

Original Poster

From what I can gather, a paid for suite is the whole package, av, firewall anti phishing etc and they do auto updates, the free ones you have to add extra programs and hope they don't conflict AND you need to manually update them .

airbus33014 h, 1 m ago

Yeah the Avast ads are a pain. I actually also pay for a 5 licence McAfee …Yeah the Avast ads are a pain. I actually also pay for a 5 licence McAfee each year. If you buy an OEM one of fleabay, its about £12. Never had any issues with it, use the same account each year (I think the is year 7) using the OEM registration number from EB. I know McAf is not that popular because of perceived bloatware issues, but it works for me.

You honestly pay for McAfee? you've made my day with that comment!

xfaxfa28th Sep

You honestly pay for McAfee? you've made my day with that …You honestly pay for McAfee? you've made my day with that comment!

Glad to spread the joy!
Seriously, £2.50 per licence. It works.
It means I have taken reasonable and provable steps to protect my systems if I have to claim against a bank etc.

I know that there are better AV suites out there, Worth a mention that McAf and Avira were the first to note the recent breach on CCleaner. Luckily I hadn't taken the update with the Trojan inserted.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions