Groups
    EXPIRED

Are ther many differences between cheap external DVD/CD drives and more pricier ones ?

Recently purchased a HP Split (which I love) but need an external DVD drive. I have stored work on cds etc so it will only be needed to transfer this onto a flash drive and maybe watch the odd dvd/play CDs.

Am I better off purchasing an expensive CD_DVD/RW or just going for a cheap CD_DVD/R???

7 Comments

The decent brands are fairly inexpensive. I personally wouldn't scrimp on a few pounds knowing I have decent gear with warranty

amazon.co.uk/Sam…F8/

You could buy unbranded/cheap and nothing goes wrong and you could buy branded and it fails within a few months - the only 2 things you get with branded is the brand name/reputation and possibly added security/guarantee to which you pay the price

Original Poster

Thanks guys

They should all come with a standard years warranty so no problems there.

There only a few manufactures left now so chances are whoever is badged on the front won't make the drive. For example LiteOn make drives for Plextor, Sony, Panasonic, BenQ just to name a few.

choc1969

Thanks guysThey should all come with a standard years warranty so no … Thanks guysThey should all come with a standard years warranty so no problems there.

out of interest, why are you storing work on CDs when online storage is much more flexible? Cant recall last time I burnt a dvd / cd or even used my dvd player under my TV.
    Edited by: "chocci" 22nd Jul 2014

Original Poster

chocci

out of interest, why are you storing work on CDs when online storage is … out of interest, why are you storing work on CDs when online storage is much more flexible? Cant recall last time I burnt a dvd / cd or even used my dvd player under my TV.

I'm a volunteer treasurer for a few charities plus my day job involves a lot of UAT and all of my test scripts are on CD due to secure Defence networks not allowing flash drives etc

cdfreaks is the best place to find a good model to buy.

But as has been mentioned there are very few unless you go second hand or even IDE
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Type 11, 21 or 22 Radiators?22
      2. Just an thought regarding Paypal45
      3. Car park fine UKPC1521
      4. Baby seat hiring car abroad68

See more discussions