Expired

Are there any 7 seater cars that actually have a boot?

Found 4th Jun 2014
Am shopping around for a 7 seater but it seems that I can either have the 7 seats up or a boot - why would I want a car with 7 seats and no boot, I don't get it?
Can anyone with a 7 seater please tell me how you manage with a pushchair and shopping and that? Would a pushchair for between the 2 rear seats usually?

Thanks all, am currently looking at the Ford S-max or Citroen Grand Picasso, the Picasso is looking better for me as the mpg is a fair bit more and it has more gadgets
Community Updates
AskCar
22 Comments
xc90....
I'm assuming that the size/length of the car and driving license classes have something to do with why they can't just make the cars a bit longer?
we have a toyota previa...really spacious car
BestGear

xc90....

Oh I like Volvos, didn't know they did a 7 seater will have a look, thanks!

stay

Forgot all about the Previa, I used to like the old shape - cant think what the new one looks like, will go and have a look at that too
Mitsubishi Outlander
BestGear

xc90....

It looks like there's no boot with 7 seats up?

stay

It seems that the Verso is their newer 7-seater, It doesn't look like there's any boot space on this either and also the back seats are next to each other so can't even put a pushchair through the middle, thanks though for replying.

the porter

Mitsubishi Outlander

Thanks, am not sure I like the new shape they've got now, though. It does look like there's a tiny boot but I would like something with a higher MPG, the Outlander is only 48mpg according to them
S-Max will give you less problems than the Picasso, Yes it might have more gadgets but then their is more to go wrong, They're French and reliability is questionable.

May be the Ford Galaxy would be a better choice although MPG figures would drop, That'll be the case with most bigger MPV's.

I can get 7 and a pushchair in my MK2 Galaxy with no problem, The seats slide forward, Although at the expense of legroom although that shouldn't be a problem for small children.

In most you'll struggle to get pushchairs and shopping in the boot, Although plenty of room in middle for shopping, Pushchair etc..

You could get a compact pushchair to help with space, Have a roof box fitted etc...

If you want boot space then the reality is you would need a mini bus

We could advise better if we knew your budget and what sort of year you're looking at.

Edited by: ".MUFC." 4th Jun 2014
Mitsubsihi Grandis we have one and with all 7 seats up there is still room in boot for suitcases and bags etc, its a flexi seater similar to a zafira but much better,
Toyota Previa's have well known engine issues and are very thirsty on the fuel. I have the Seat Alhambra and it is fantastic for the purpose. Plenty of space for 7 and a decent "boot" space behind the 3rd row of seats. Easily get a pushchair and the shopping there. It's the same as the VW Sharan and/or the Ford Galaxy. Built in the same factory. The Seat is the best to go for as the equipment levels are better on the models. The latest models (2012 onwards) are actually smaller than the previous models. I have a 56 model. Well recommended.
shauneco

S-Max will give you less problems than the Picasso, Yes it might have … S-Max will give you less problems than the Picasso, Yes it might have more gadgets but then their is more to go wrong, They're French and reliability is questionable.May be the Ford Galaxy would be a better choice although MPG figures would drop, That'll be the case with most bigger MPV's. I can get 7 and a pushchair in my MK2 Galaxy with no problem, The seats slide forward, Although at the expense of legroom although that shouldn't be a problem for small children.In most you'll struggle to get pushchairs and shopping in the boot, Although plenty of room in middle for shopping, Pushchair etc..You could get a compact pushchair to help with space, Have a roof box fitted etc...If you want boot space then the reality is you would need a mini busWe could advise better if we knew your budget and what sort of year you're looking at.

I have a C4 Grand Picasso and I agree, they have lots of bells and whistles but what good are they when they dont work or break. I have to say none of mine have broken yet but only because everything seems so flimsy that I take great care not to break them.

I do average 42 MPG around town and extended motorway I get nearly 70 MPG.
ZaphodBeeblebrox

I have a C4 Grand Picasso and I agree, they have lots of bells and … I have a C4 Grand Picasso and I agree, they have lots of bells and whistles but what good are they when they dont work or break. I have to say none of mine have broken yet but only because everything seems so flimsy that I take great care not to break them.I do average 42 MPG around town and extended motorway I get nearly 70 MPG.

Children and flimsy don't mix lol.

I like the look of the Citroen but wouldn't have one myself, Hopefully by the time I could afford one my kids would of left home lol.

t_kaay

Toyota Previa's have well known engine issues and are very thirsty on the … Toyota Previa's have well known engine issues and are very thirsty on the fuel. I have the Seat Alhambra and it is fantastic for the purpose. Plenty of space for 7 and a decent "boot" space behind the 3rd row of seats. Easily get a pushchair and the shopping there. It's the same as the VW Sharan and/or the Ford Galaxy. Built in the same factory. The Seat is the best to go for as the equipment levels are better on the models. The latest models (2012 onwards) are actually smaller than the previous models. I have a 56 model. Well recommended.

But the Seat and Sharan don't get the quick clear window that the Galaxy does :), Got the Ghia myself, Fully loaded :).
My friend has just had twins and traded her car in for a FORD CMAX - which is big enough to fit in her double buggy in if this helps.

Hope this helps.

Alfie
Do you really need 7 seats? If you can get your hands on a Honda FRV - they have 6 adult sized seats as standard - in a 3 front, 3 rear configuration - it has a full sized boot as well.

I see Shauneco is still sponsored by Ford. X)
Your answer is No.

If you want a 7 seater with decent boot space you need to look at things which are bigger than standard MPV. - basically small minibuses.

VW Caravelle, Peugeot Expert Teepee, etc.

Do you need the luggage space all the time? could you use a trailer/roofbox when you do need it?
moob

Do you really need 7 seats? If you can get your hands on a Honda FRV - … Do you really need 7 seats? If you can get your hands on a Honda FRV - they have 6 adult sized seats as standard - in a 3 front, 3 rear configuration - it has a full sized boot as well.I see Shauneco is still sponsored by Ford. X)

Lol, My Ford Galaxy is made by VW, VW is a reputable brand.

Also 6 seater idea is good if you don't need 7 seats, Just hope they don't make the same mistake I once made and buy a Fiat Multipla an absolutely horrible car in every way, Made out of discarded crisp packets and was like driving in a box, That's when the injectors worked.

Honda are good too.

Edited by: ".MUFC." 4th Jun 2014
moob

Do you really need 7 seats? If you can get your hands on a Honda FRV - … Do you really need 7 seats? If you can get your hands on a Honda FRV - they have 6 adult sized seats as standard - in a 3 front, 3 rear configuration - it has a full sized boot as well.

I own an FRV and it is a great car for space if you can do with 6 seats. It has a large boot ... I got 4 cricket bags in the other day ..... and has the spare wheel in the normal position too.... however not much longer than an average medium sized car. Just wish they had not stopped making them.
Another vote for the FRV, this is one of the cars I was going to get because you have full time 6 seats, and a boot, in the end we went for the Renault Grand Scenic, 5 seats and the +2 for long journeys, what we do is take one of the 2nd row seats out for all the luggage, so we have 3 rows of 2, FRV would have been better but couldn't find any I liked.

The Scenic is rated high by which, ours has done 15,000 miles now and not a single issue.
firswood

I own an FRV and it is a great car for space if you can do with 6 seats. … I own an FRV and it is a great car for space if you can do with 6 seats. It has a large boot ... I got 4 cricket bags in the other day ..... and has the spare wheel in the normal position too.... however not much longer than an average medium sized car. Just wish they had not stopped making them.

It is a great vehicle and much better than most people carriers out there today.

I think Honda decided the MPV market was too saturated so pulled out.
Thanks everyone for all the replies - it looks like I still have a lot of research to do!
I still want to go and have a look at the grand Picasso, but will look out for 'flimsiness'
Regarding reliability I always bought into the 'German cars are good, French cars are bad' but our now 8 year old VW Touareg has given us faaaar more problems than our 13 year old Citroen Picasso, which is why I am open to the Grand Picasso.
Our budget is about £25/30k for a new car, or at least one with warranty still remaining.
There have been a few cars mentioned here that I wouldn't have known about otherwise, so you've all been very helpful
I will consider the FRV also, I only knew of the Fiat Multipla with that seat configuration, though I don't know if I can get one still in warranty...
Disneyemma1

Mitsubsihi Grandis we have one and with all 7 seats up there is still … Mitsubsihi Grandis we have one and with all 7 seats up there is still room in boot for suitcases and bags etc, its a flexi seater similar to a zafira but much better,

Cool looks good. What are these like to drive? And on fuel? What's it like to fill up half a tank? How much? Approx
Get a FORD GRAND C MAX excellent car not that known of but seats can be folded so lots of space x
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions