Are there any good fibre broadband providers

Posted 26th Nov
H alli,

I moved to NowTV 35MB service nearly 4 months ago and have had constant speed issues - dropping to sub 1Mbs a lot of evenings and have had 2 OpenReach engineers with nothing found anywhere (no surprise as this happens in the evening predominantly) - so I have told them that I am exercising my rights to move under the OFCOM regulations.

I do have to say that once I got a direct number for their support (their online chat is carp) it has always been answered within 5 minutes at most which is unusual however the quality of the support has been poor (oh - you have got x devices which is a lot - and each device will take an equal share of the bandwidth all the time (fierce))

But now my problem is - who to move to? There is a very minor risk (very very minor) that there may be an issue with the line - it isn't the house as we only have the one connection - the master socket, and it isn't the router as have swapped to the Sky one we had previously and that hasn't solved it.

So which provider has good support and good infrastructure etc..to switch to??
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

21 Comments
All depends on your area but most providers will give you 14 day cooling off period which means you won’t pay a penny if you cancel in time.

I had to do this with my virgin as the speed wasn’t as what was advertised, however virgin is great in my cousins house so from experience it’s more specific to location
The Labour Party post election
We got full fibre here right now, up to 1 Gbs
I'm with Vodafone and hated EE Broadband.
Apparently plusnet are also good and sky
Try changing WiFi channel to 6 or 11
Who were you on before?

There aren't any other national networks with the coverage of Openreach FTTC, except perhaps the mobile networks which aren't a good choice if you want to avoid evening speed drops, so alternative infrastructures available to you will depend on your location. Virgin would be about the biggest with about 40% coverage, the others are generally in single digits.
changing supplier probably won't resolve the issue.
djdanj8926/11/2019 21:55

changing supplier probably won't resolve the issue.

correct - all BT Wholesale and LLU providers use the same lines, so all that changes when you switch is the router and the billing. So your only chance of faster is that Openreach find something or you have Virgin or another cable company in the area
Same used to happen to me on BT, was a congested line, took weeks of asking but eventually they sorted it
jez79426/11/2019 22:38

Same used to happen to me on BT, was a congested line, took weeks of …Same used to happen to me on BT, was a congested line, took weeks of asking but eventually they sorted it

They won’t even acknowledge that it could be congestion
Buckyball26/11/2019 20:07

We got full fibre here right now, up to 1 Gbs

I don’t like you!!!
Edited by: "discobob" 26th Nov
discobob26/11/2019 22:49

They won’t even acknowledge that it could be congestion

Yeah they wouldn't with me either but just kept phoning them everyday. Not a lot else you can do.
I switched from Sky at the behest of my teenage gaming kids!! What I don’t get though is that we didn’t really have problems with Sky - it just wasn’t fast (low 20’s bad ping) - at the time NOWTV) was the only one we could move to due to our OpenReach records being wrong - we get faster speeds(35Mbs) and lower pings most of the day but in the evening (pointing to contention) it goes to hell

the confusion is Sky and Now use the same infrastructure ( Im on about LLU and back to them - not OpenReach)
Edited by: "discobob" 26th Nov
Can you get Virgin ? They are really the only alternative supplier of internet in most of the UK. Most other suppliers use BT Openreach to provide their service
Can be DSLAM issue at the exchange.
Virgin, I don’t like them but the speed is always good. So I won’t leave..
This link should tell you who actually has equipment in your local telephone exchange. This, along with distance from the exchange, makes a difference in broadband speed.
discobob26/11/2019 22:59

I switched from Sky at the behest of my teenage gaming kids!! What I don’t …I switched from Sky at the behest of my teenage gaming kids!! What I don’t get though is that we didn’t really have problems with Sky - it just wasn’t fast (low 20’s bad ping) - at the time NOWTV) was the only one we could move to due to our OpenReach records being wrong - we get faster speeds(35Mbs) and lower pings most of the day but in the evening (pointing to contention) it goes to hellthe confusion is Sky and Now use the same infrastructure ( Im on about LLU and back to them - not OpenReach)

Happy to be wrong on this - but we're with Sky - and have been for years. When we had Sky ADSL, it was LLU, but when we switched to fibre, it uses OpenReach. My understanding was that virtually all fibre was OpenReach and not LLU?
39139010-n9w2m.jpgThis is what we can get on the exchange
discobob27/11/2019 12:51

[Image] This is what we can get on the exchange

SamKnows is good but not definitive - we get
  • BT Wholesale ADSL
  • BT Wholesale ADSL Max
  • BT Wholesale WBC (21CN)
  • TalkTalk (CPW) LLU
  • Sky Broadband

But as I said, Sky (ADSL) was LLU, and Sky Fibre is OpenReach - but SK says we can't even get fibre. We've been on it for 4 years iirc.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions