Are there any Hairdressers about? Advice or opinion would be greatly received...

Found 26th Dec 2017
This is quite a long (ish) story - so I will be as brief as possible - from the title you can probably guess what the story is about though!

OK - So - here is my question.. .. .. .

Ready?

Purrrrrrrrrrrr......

I shall begin!

Appt booked with hairdresser principally to lighten slightly hair – with no bleach.

Got to the hairdressers and it went disastrously wrong.

I specifically requested that it was a “no bleach” product should be used, and consequently a Revlon product was recommended and applied.

The Hair Stylist assured me that this would be OK, but omitted to carry out a “strand test” before applying the product.

At the time of my appointment the Hair Stylist was attending to both me and another customer in the salon as she was unfortunately on her own that day.

The product applied was left on for such a time that the result was a severely burnt head of hair with the hair so badly damaged by the product used that when I brushed my hair, it literally fell out and broke away.

My fringe is now no longer and is still burnt – and I am left absolutely heart broken and self conscious. My hair was severely burnt to the stage where it was actually frizzy and totally brittle and falling away. The Hair Stylist could see that it had gone wrong, as I could tell by her boy language and the way in which she was desperately trying to restyle my hair.

In an attempt to rescue the situation, my husband took me to another Hair Salon who were equally as horrified to see it and took a lot of photos of the hair. The Salon had to cut three inches off of my hair and cut my fringe half way up my forehead to try and get rid of the most part of the burn, as it was that bad, then corrected the hair colour / bad patch work by using non bleach product and gave my hair an intensive treatment free of charge as they felt sorry for me.

The Salon that corrected my hair were / are happy to provide the other salon with copies of the pictures that they have taken and are also happy for them to contact them.

So that above is pretty much what I wrote to the salon and asked for my money back and the money it has cost to correct it. £70, plus the fee of £55 for the corrective treatment.

Copy of receipt and photos attached.

With kind regards,

============================================

The salon have replied after weeks of chasing only to say that they dispute it and have taken legal advice!?!?!? And so on... As a gesture of GOOD WILL ONLY they are prepared to refund the original fee but say that they should have been contacted in the first place to correct what was done and because I didnt contact them - that is why they....

Anyway - the long and short of it is - what do or can I do? Shall i go to the small claims court? Or just ??

The think is the use of chemicals and so on in salons surely must be ?? Well?? I can copy and paste their reply if it helps?

What do you recon guys??

Thank you all for reading this and if their are any suggestions or ideas I would be grateful.

Still purrrrrring and kneading.

Cloud the Cat

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
10 Comments

Their "sought legal advice" would be talking to their insurers.

If we're basing this on the same principle of products etc.

You are meant to give the offending company the chance to "fix it" but in this situation you obviously wouldn't want them putting their hands on you.

So that sounds like the basis of their defence to dispute paying the fee for the other hair dresses fees.
Edited by: "Gynx" 26th Dec 2017

Original Poster

Thank you for this...... Yes you are right - but my other half (who it happened to was in tears and there was no way on this planet that she was going back there) SO thats why I got another appointment and the hairdresser was appalled.....
Here is what the orignal hairdresser eventually sent back......
Re: your claim

Thank you for your patience. As you may imagine,this is my busiest time of year.

However,I have now had the opportunity to both investigate fully and take legal advice on this matter,and this advice forms the basis of my letter.

So that we are clear, at no time did you or or wife, who is the complainant, actually ever make a complaint to me, as proprietor and senior hairdresser.

My understanding is that you went to the salon and "had a word" with the other hairdresser.

Using phrases such as "nothing to worry about", not to take matters personally, so she didn't .

What actually happened, was that you made contact 3 weeks after the event and made a claim with a demand for compensation, against me and this was the first I heard of the incident.

The facts of the matter are disputed in their entirety.

A witness who offered to stay in the salon whilst hair was being done, states it was a peaceful , happy environment and atmosphere.

Your wife understood that the colour she wanted , was not possible without bleach. The hairdresser explained that the only way to achieve the colour she wanted, was by having at the very least, a bleach wash. This product does contain a bleaching agent in it but, it is not as harsh as peroxide bleach used for other techniques .

The salon does not appear to have an online presence and efforts by the team to locate and contact them to date, have failed. We would be grateful if you would provide us with these details please, as I would appreciate and welcome the opportunity of speaking to the other hairdresser.

For the record, as hairdressers we want our clients to have a relaxing and enjoyable experience , we are honest and ensure our clients have the facts . Mrs was insistent she wanted a particular colour, she was made fully aware of the only ways in which to achieve this, she made her choice.

Taking all these matters into account,in accordance with my rights under UK law, we do not accept liability and would defend vigorously any action stating otherwise . We were never given reasonable opportunity or time to remedy the alleged original problem.

Therefore,in an effort to resolve this as amicably as I am able, as a one off goodwill gesture, we will make a final offer of £70.00.

If you provide me with your bank details, upon agreement, this money will be placed in your account as soon as it is practical to do so.

Seasons Greetings

Sent from my iPad
Edited by: "cloudthecat" 26th Dec 2017

cloudthecat1 h, 11 m ago

Thank you for this...... Yes you are right - but my other half (who it …Thank you for this...... Yes you are right - but my other half (who it happened to was in tears and there was no way on this planet that she was going back there) SO thats why I got another appointment and the hairdresser was appalled.....Here is what the orignal hairdresser eventually sent back......Re: your claim Thank you for your patience. As you may imagine,this is my busiest time of year. However,I have now had the opportunity to both investigate fully and take legal advice on this matter,and this advice forms the basis of my letter. So that we are clear, at no time did you or or wife, who is the complainant, actually ever make a complaint to me, as proprietor and senior hairdresser. My understanding is that you went to the salon and "had a word" with the other hairdresser. Using phrases such as "nothing to worry about", not to take matters personally, so she didn't . What actually happened, was that you made contact 3 weeks after the event and made a claim with a demand for compensation, against me and this was the first I heard of the incident. The facts of the matter are disputed in their entirety. A witness who offered to stay in the salon whilst hair was being done, states it was a peaceful , happy environment and atmosphere. Your wife understood that the colour she wanted , was not possible without bleach. The hairdresser explained that the only way to achieve the colour she wanted, was by having at the very least, a bleach wash. This product does contain a bleaching agent in it but, it is not as harsh as peroxide bleach used for other techniques . The salon does not appear to have an online presence and efforts by the team to locate and contact them to date, have failed. We would be grateful if you would provide us with these details please, as I would appreciate and welcome the opportunity of speaking to the other hairdresser. For the record, as hairdressers we want our clients to have a relaxing and enjoyable experience , we are honest and ensure our clients have the facts . Mrs was insistent she wanted a particular colour, she was made fully aware of the only ways in which to achieve this, she made her choice. Taking all these matters into account,in accordance with my rights under UK law, we do not accept liability and would defend vigorously any action stating otherwise . We were never given reasonable opportunity or time to remedy the alleged original problem. Therefore,in an effort to resolve this as amicably as I am able, as a one off goodwill gesture, we will make a final offer of £70.00. If you provide me with your bank details, upon agreement, this money will be placed in your account as soon as it is practical to do so. Seasons Greetings Sent from my iPad

Theyve offered a refund what more are you wanting?

Original Poster

SMDH

cloudthecat5 m ago

SMDH

Shake all you like but seriously what is it your expecting to gain from all this?

Take the £70 they offered.

Original Poster

hearts221 h, 6 m ago

Take the £70 they offered.

Thanks Hearts22 - The £70 they have offered was the starting point - the resultant cost of repairing the chemical damage has been a lot more. The skin is burnt, and the hair loss is huge - around 7 inches had to be taken off to correct it - practically taking it back to basics.....

The damage physically to the head and emotional - to a girl / daughter is huge.... ... ...
Thanks again!

cloudthecat1 h, 39 m ago

Thanks Hearts22 - The £70 they have offered was the starting point - the …Thanks Hearts22 - The £70 they have offered was the starting point - the resultant cost of repairing the chemical damage has been a lot more. The skin is burnt, and the hair loss is huge - around 7 inches had to be taken off to correct it - practically taking it back to basics.....The damage physically to the head and emotional - to a girl / daughter is huge.... ... ... Thanks again!

Total cost to yourself has been £125..?

Salon has offered £70.

Do you think a small claims court would decide more in your favour? (bear in mind you didn't give the original salon the opportunity to put right there mistake?)

£70 refund sounds very reasonable to me..

Original Poster

andynicol3 m ago

Total cost to yourself has been £125..?Salon has offered £70.Do you think a …Total cost to yourself has been £125..?Salon has offered £70.Do you think a small claims court would decide more in your favour? (bear in mind you didn't give the original salon the opportunity to put right there mistake?)£70 refund sounds very reasonable to me..

Fair point very well made - Hmmmmmm........

OK ....

I thought that the chemical damage done and what not..... But putting it like that / this....
You pose a very valid/good point.

The hairdresser that corrected it was so shocked that she took photos of it and told us to seek compensation.... But thanks none the less - I shall speak to them....

Take the £70!

1) if you weren’t happy, you shouldn’t have paid in the first place, you should have complained there and then

2) before going to another salon you should have informed the hairdresser manager in the original salon that you weren’t happy and spoken to them about how to resolve it

3) you shouldn’t have waited 3 weeks before contacting the original hairdresser.

I understand that you aren’t happy, but if the salon aren’t aware of the issue then they can’t do anything to help, which if you took this to the small claims court would be brought up as a failure on your part.

Sadly a lack of communication on your part will impede your case, and thus I would take the £70 and never return there!

I’m sure it’s difficult but the small mercy here is that hair does grow back.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants