Groups

Are there any reasonably priced 4 wheel drive Family size hatchbacks?

Looking for a second hand car about 3 – 4 years old about the size of a Ford Focus and would like 4 wheel drive if possible and don’t want to pay Audi money. Does anyone make such a thing?
    I thought all Subarus were 4 wheel drive! Need to check that out.
    Cheers.

12 Comments

Could try a Honda CRV, Freelander.

You wont find many cars that aren't premium branded that are 4WD - its overkill for most in the market. Jaguar X Types would come in cheaper than Audi, good diesel on the later models as well.

An Impreza may be a bit bigger than a focus, but a decent buy imo if you want reliability and 4wd.

CR-V is a good choice too, runs around in 2wd then switches to 4 when traction is lost.

Why do you want 4wd?

Carley

VW Golf 4MotionMitsubishi Shogun Pinin

Or Even a Bora 4 Motion, VW Passat..

Whats the reason it has to be 4x4 ?? Is it due to the snow ??

If so... think winter tyres.....

Original Poster

Thanks for the replies but note that I did ask for a hatchback as quite a few of the suggestions were for 4x4 off-roaders which don’t interest me.

I’ve recently moved to a rural area and I’ve always fancied the flexibility that 4 wheel drive offers over difficult road conditions, not just snow.

Might be worth just getting a good set of winter tyres instead. Getting mine wed. and theyre meant to make a huge difference in snow,better than 4x4`s in the snow.

didnt the scenic do a 4x4 mo0del called monaco?

Banned

hooray henry

Might be worth just getting a good set of winter tyres instead. Getting … Might be worth just getting a good set of winter tyres instead. Getting mine wed. and theyre meant to make a huge difference in snow,better than 4x4`s in the snow.

next wednesday? when the snow probably wont be here?

and they wont be better than a 4x4, only 2 wheels will be putting power down doesn't matter what tyres you have
    Edited by: "Zer0Cool" 29th Nov 2010

Better grip in all weather when the temps are 7c and below. Where i live theres always snow ice etc in winter,in fact my mind was made up last week when i almost got wiped out @ 70mph on the Edinburgh bypass by a blind numpty in a Ka
    Not so sure about the invinceable 4x4`s. A landrover is good but a city tonka will get stuck too as its 4 wheels spin out on all season tyres.

The weakest link in any vehicle is the nut behind the wheel, most drivers do not have a clue how to drive in a few inches of snow.

Take an Off Road driving course.

vw tiguan/tourag?

Zer0Cool

next wednesday? when the snow probably wont be here?and they wont be … next wednesday? when the snow probably wont be here?and they wont be better than a 4x4, only 2 wheels will be putting power down doesn't matter what tyres you have

A 2 wheeled drive car running decent winter tyres will out perform a 4x4 on summer tyres for traction, handling and braking. If you compared the cars like for like.... ie a Golf 4 Motion V a FWD Golf.

Rick

Edited by: "RickT" 30th Nov 2010
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73944516
      2. Easy Jet flights - does anyone know how far in advance seats are sold?57
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would811
      4. Player Unknown's Battlegrounds now avaliable on Steam88

See more discussions